Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
straight_face
Enting

Gollum Your personal opinions on Wargs?

xxx
When I read "The Hobbit", the Wargs were also called wolves, so I expected them to be as wolves are, in shape and form, yet more foul, ferocious, and larger than average wolves. In the movie the Wargs were like giant hyenas, if you catch my drift. Feel free to reply and explain what you expected the Wargs to look like.

P.S. Did anyone noticed that Shadowfax, well, looked like a female horse? Were they afraid that people would be offended by the body parts of a male horse?
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

i always thought shadowfax was silver... I do realize this would look silly, but maybe if they made him light grey with a sheen...

and yeah abuot the wargs. PJ seems to love making monsters. I also didnt picture the orcs as having blue skin, slightly more humanoid than in the films.

maybe shadowfax is transvestite?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #3
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Were they afraid that people would be offended by the body parts of a male horse?
There is only so much you really want to see on a 23' x 15' screen

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
legolasluvr2931
Hobbit

You know... I kinda thought that they were sorta cute. Besides the fact that they almost killed the main characters and they were mean and nasty and completly inconsiderate of the fact that there were women and children and fathers and hot guys (Legolas/Orlando Bloom!!) there fighting for their lives. How rude! LOL!
legolasluvr2931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:21 PM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I pictured them as black and more wolf-like too. And I never pictured Orcs as being so extremely deformed and slimy.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #6
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

the fotr video game for playstation shows the wargs as being black and wolf like, with ratlike tails. i thought the wargs in the movie were kinda big, and i pictured them as being smaller. as for the video game, i think their picture of the wargs was more accurate (in my mind)
Old 01-19-2003, 09:27 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Personally I loved the Wargs, I think it adds another element to middle earth that separates it from the world we know. I thought they looked badass!!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:30 PM   #8
unregistered
Enting

I also pictures the wargs to be more wolf like.
Now i've only seen this film 5 times (haha tied with sminty) and I can't remember seeing them having tails! Did any see if they did or not?

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #9
Sminty_Smeagol

Uhhhh.... H/o *puts in TTT(movie version) ps2 game* Yeah they had tails. Not really long ones though. Like, mini cat tails or long dog tails. The tails are only bout 1/3 as long as their bodies. I think they made them the same in the video game atleast... It's the movie version and they look like same otherwise.

Oh btw D I asked cassie if she wanted to go see TTT again with me and she gave me this weird eyebrow thing... lol i want to see it again so we can be tied!

http://www.filmhobbit.com/movierevie...ler3/wargs.jpg
grr you cant tell...

http://www.warofthering.net/download...wb_special.ram
Old 01-20-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I agree, I didnt like the wargs either, but honestly compared to the rest of the film, they were the least of my troubles. But yeah..much too....I think someone said rabid over grown hyena? I think that fit them well.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
Sminty_Smeagol

I think PJ just loves doing ugly monsters. He overexaggerates ugly things a bit.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:12 AM   #12
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
I think PJ just loves doing ugly monsters. He overexaggerates ugly things a bit.
Yeah i noticed that, I think its his horror movie past showing through. Like with the 'lights' in the dead marshes.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:11 PM   #13
unregistered
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
Uhhhh.... H/o *puts in TTT(movie version) ps2 game* Yeah they had tails. Not really long ones though. Like, mini cat tails or long dog tails. The tails are only bout 1/3 as long as their bodies. I think they made them the same in the video game atleast... It's the movie version and they look like same otherwise.

Oh btw D I asked cassie if she wanted to go see TTT again with me and she gave me this weird eyebrow thing... lol i want to see it again so we can be tied!

http://www.filmhobbit.com/movierevie...ler3/wargs.jpg
grr you cant tell...

http://www.warofthering.net/download...wb_special.ram
So they did have tails? ok

BTW liz i thought we were already tied? 5-5?

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:55 PM   #14
Sminty_Smeagol

*I can be winning. typo thingy. ANd yes they had tails.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:19 PM   #15
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

I thought they were great. In the books, they're not described in a lot of detail, and PJ's realisation made me reconsider how seriously badass they were (and the orcs who had to ride them).

I've only seen the film once, so could hardly remember what they looked like. Thanks for the link to the vid clip; that stunt Legolas does to leap onto the running horse was ultra-groovy.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #16
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

i agree, i think they looked too much like hyenas, they had huge humps in their backs. PJ is a little too monster crazy

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:42 PM   #17
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I thought they were really cute!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:19 PM   #18
unregistered
Enting

Cute eh? Yes they sure were, running around with orcs on there back and devouring men alive... yes very cute.... it makes you want to squeze them like a teddy bear...

Last edited by unregistered : 01-20-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #19
Noahamir
Hobbit

I thought they looked bad the first time I saw the movie, but I didn't mind them that much the second time.

In my mind though I thnk PJ made them more monstrous looking because trying to replicate large realistic wolves with CGI would have looked more fake because we know what wolves are supposed to look like in real life.

As for having the whole warg battle in the first place, I don't mind that much. I kinda think of it as making up for having no Wargs between Redhorn Pass and Moria in the first movie.
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:05 PM   #20
Tinuviel sings again
Hobbit

Warg beasties

I've always seen the Wargs as being more wolf like than they were in the movie (to be honest, I had no idea what they were when they first appeared on the screen) But I guess they're still ok in a kind of hyena-looking type of way...
The orcs look pretty much just what I thought they would look like, though I might have seen them a little taller...
you soon shall be
- Inscription from a tombstone
Tinuviel sings again is offline   Reply With Quote