Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Opinions for what book(s) to get next...

Ok, I am just looking for some book opinions to figure out what I should get next.

I currently own:

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales

So, where should I go from here? Should I go with the HoME series, Letters, or what?

I am currently leaning towards the HoME series, but I am not sure.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

I guess at this point, you've got the basics covered and it becomes "interest-driven". Kinda like you just got your bachelor's degree - and now, welcome to grad school and thesis research!

I only recently (this past spring) read "Unfinished Tales". I went to the "Letters" next - and I recently got "Peoples of Middle-Earth" - and have mostly read the sections of highest interest.

I had previously read Tolkien's biography... that may be another good option.

Cheers!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:04 PM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Yeah I hear ya, I was just looking at the books that are included in the HoME series. It appears that from their titles I can read them out of order and won't suffer from missing something as I would if I were to read LotR's out of order, right?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-10-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Valandil

Strider

I think (hope) that's right. PoME is the 12th of 12.

OK... smarter people... help us out here!!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:19 PM   #5
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'd go with the Letters, or if you're a poetry type the Lays of Beleriand (HoME 3) is nice...
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the books of lost tales 1&2 wouldn't be bad to read while the silmarillion is still fresh in your mind... both are fairly short and give an excellent view on how tolkien's ideas changed and developed over the years
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I would say the Letters next. As for which HoME books, I suppose it depends whether you like the Silmarillion or the LOTR better. If you like the LOTR, The History of Middle-earth books are excellent; or for more information about Elves and the Valar The Book of Lost Tales, parts 1 and 2 are interesting reads. PoME's good too; lots of information on the different races, and a bit of the LOTR sequel Tolkien started.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #8
Ulmo
Enting

In (my) order of most useful/interesting (generally) - Letters, 10-12, 4-5, 1-2, 3, 6-9.

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:41 AM   #9
Keith K
Elf Lord

My advice would be to eschew all of the before mentioned books and invest your money in The Atlas of Middle Earth. I cannot recall the author/geographer's name but most bookstores carry it. In it you will discover many items of interest which will help you to better visualize the events in the books. After that I would recommend the HoME series if you want to delve deeper into Tolkien. They are very informative but oftentimes come out a bit "over the top" and somewhat incoherent. (That is to be expected since they represent a vast, and ever evolving subject matter). As to the order, I think Cassiopeia offers good advice. For myself, I read each one in the order in which it was published and at the time of publication. While not perfect, there is a method to HoME.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:01 AM   #10
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Karen Wynn Fonstad is the author/cartographer behind the Atlas of ME. I highly suggest it, as it is my favorite non-Tolkien Middle earth book (of course, I am a bit biased in favor of it since one of my degees is in geography ). Anyway, it's pretty awesome.

Also the Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2 is a good read, and pretty "easy" compared to some of the other stuff.
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:16 AM   #11
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yeah, the atlas is good, but it's more of reference, than reading material... so I'd go with Letters. Read Letters, and THEN start on HoME. The latter HoMEs are generally considered in some respects to be more canon than the Sil, so that's probably your next port of call. Unless you want to do how Tolkien crafted his world, in which case, you'll want to read them in order...

Last edited by Sheeana : 11-11-2003 at 01:18 AM.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:40 AM   #12
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Yeah, the atlas is good, but it's more of reference, than reading material...
The more tools employed, the deeper the understanding...
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:43 AM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I think I may just pick up the Atlas cuz I know everytime I read LotR's I always find myself flipping to the maps

--Linaewen
Old 11-11-2003, 09:50 AM   #14
Elf Girl
Lurker

My first HoME book was Morgoth's Ring... I just got it for Laws and Customs, which was good, but then I was stranded in some remote vacation spot with it and read the rest. I really liked it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it for the first HoME book. It's a difficult read, and kind of off-putting.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:23 PM   #15
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Arwen Undomiel

I read HoME in the order that they were published. It really does help, as there are back-references. That said, I would recommend Tom Shippey's two books on JRRT, The Road to Middle-Earth and J.R.R. Tolkien: The Author of the Century. They are quite insightful, and are by Tolkien's successor in one of the Philology chairs that he held. Also, as others have posted, Carpenter's and Fonstead's books. If you can get it, either Tree and Leaf and Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics both have the crucial and influential essay "On Fairy-Stories," which is the best place that JRRT explained his thoughts about fantasy, bar the Letters.

Last edited by Attalus : 11-11-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:48 PM   #16
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I always read stuff in published order, and I advise reading the HoME in that order. Every book gives referrences to a book that came before it, so as not to get confused or miss something I say read them in order.

Between Letters and HoME, I would read Letters after the HoME or after Vol. 11, that way you have an idea of where Tolkien is at in his writtings that he talks about in his letters.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:00 AM   #17
Valandil

Strider

If you haven't bought something yet, here's another suggestion:

I found the Entmoot site from another - a bunch of articles at a place called Suite 101. Here's a link:

http://www.suite101.com/articles.cfm/tolkien/1-20

There are almost 140 essays - the first 130 or so written by a guy named Michael Martinez, who seems to know his stuff (not to slam the newer author, who is still "finding his voice" I think). All kinds of topics, so you can look around and get all kinds of info and opinion. Plus, the benefit of zero financial outlay...
Old 11-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'm gonna go with the crowd and say: Get Letters. It's a spectacular insight into the man behind the myth, and the making of the myth itself.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 11-13-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:50 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
If you haven't bought something yet, here's another suggestion:

I found the Entmoot site from another - a bunch of articles at a place called Suite 101. Here's a link:

http://www.suite101.com/articles.cfm/tolkien/1-20

There are almost 140 essays - the first 130 or so written by a guy named Michael Martinez, who seems to know his stuff (not to slam the newer author, who is still "finding his voice" I think). All kinds of topics, so you can look around and get all kinds of info and opinion. Plus, the benefit of zero financial outlay...
Yep, Michael Martinez is a member of Entmoot. He also has a site called Xenite.org- SF-Fandom with some great forums where I moderate. Btw, MM no longer posts his essays at Suite 101. He posted the link here at Entmoot where he has them now. I will try to find it and come back and edit this post.

EDITED- I don't have the link, but it is MERP.COM

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:06 PM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I think I am going to forego "Letters" until I read all of his works, especially the one's that interest me the most. I think I am gonna get that Map book and get the first few from HoME and go on through the HoME series

Thanks for the insight everyone :P

P.S. Good to see ya SGH

--Linaewen