Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:30 PM   #1
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Middle Earth Recipies

Hey, ya'll!
I was baking today...and while I was waiting for the butter to soften, I was playing around in the kitchen, and I suddenly came up with lembas.... Okay, so it's not elven-quality. Maybe it's just cram, or something. But I like it.... I figured I'd post it so others could try it if they wanted, and then if any of you find/come up with something, you can post it up too. Or..additions/changes, those are always welcome too. Anyway. Here goes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1/2 cup oats, crushed; or 1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup flour (any kind...wheat or spelt probably best)
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon crushed oats/oat flour and 1 tablespoon flour, mixed together

Mix all except the oats/flour mixture together. Dough will be sort of sticky. Spread oat/flour mix over bread board and turn out. Knead until most of the flour is mixed into the dough, about a minute or so. Roll or knead out until dough is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into round cakes. Place on slightly oiled or greased cookie pan. Bake at 350 for ten minutes. Let cool before eating.

Well, I had fun writing in recipie voice...hope you have some time to try it...tell me what you think!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 02-21-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

THIS IS BETTER!

Here's a better recipie! Don't use the first one...although i suppose you could try it if you wanted...
1/2 stick butter (unsalted)
1 cup oat flour or ground oats
1 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbl. oil
1 Tbl. honey
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cloves or other spice of your choice
Directions: um...cream the butter and then throw everything else in...then knead it out with lots of flour as needed, roll out the dough, cut into rounds, and bake at 350 degrees for about ten minutes.
Hazelnut Lembas (I know....that sounds weird...but try it!)
Use above recipie with these changes:
* Substitute 1/2 cup of ground hazelnuts for half of the oat flour
*add 1 tsp. of hazelnut extract
*2 Tbl milk instead of 1/4 cup
* NO honey
*NO spices

TRY IT! They're good....really...and Eruviel thinks so too so it's not just me.
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 02-21-2002, 11:18 PM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

You need to use the holy corn of Yvanna (tm)
Old 02-22-2002, 12:06 AM   #4
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

You can find a whole bunch of recipes at http://fan.theonering.net/writing/recipes/index.html
Old 02-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #5
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
You need to use the holy corn of Yvanna (tm)
I also need Elven-grown oats, not to mention mare's milk from an Elf horse, and honey from Lothlorien...but in lieu of such things...I'll have to make do with what my kitchen provides.
"In fact, it's quite good." -Eruviel (whos comp. is broken!)
See...she likes it.
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 02-22-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

My computer works again! Yay! I'm about to go make Lembas! Thank you, Tanoliel. Ooh, I should try it w/corn flour! Thanks, markedel. Everyone should go make it right now, because I say so! No, because it's really good. Then you should go on a six month hike taking only a batch of this Lembas, apples, and rope. Don't forget the rope! Or the apples, for that matter!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 02-22-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
Darth Tater
The man

Hrm, this sounds really good, I think I'll try it tomorrow. I've never heard of oat flower actually. Just crush quacker oats mortar and pestle style right?
Old 02-22-2002, 11:52 PM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf

I think that's what oat flour would be, Tater. Thanks to Tanoliel, know that coffee grinders work quite well, instead of a mortar and pestle but only if you don't use it for coffee, because otherwise you'd have coffee-flavoured lembas. ick. And do go make some tomorrow!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 02-23-2002, 12:53 AM   #9
Eruviel Greenleaf

Okay, just in case you people are interested...
I tried Tano's recipe with a few changes. I would suggest trying it, especially if you like corn bread! Here goes:

1/2 stick butter
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup milk
1 Tbl. oil
1 and 1/2 Tbl. honey
1/4 tsp. salt
Follow Tano's instructions for the rest, and then pack your bags with your lembas, rope, and apples, and enjoy your mission/quest/journey/6 month hike/thing (as Pippin would say...)

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 02-23-2002, 02:44 PM   #10
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Ohhh, yeah...that sounds better.
I think the hazelnut one's a little to hazelnutty....just a bit too much. Oh well. More honey would be good...(sugar! MORE SUGAR! ah..um...*cough*)
Tater--like Eruviel said, coffee-grinders...if yoiu have an extra. But some way of grinding them up fine would work...I don't know. Larger bits of oats would be good too...
Anyone else got some recipies? Barliman's ale or something...
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 02-23-2002, 09:37 PM   #11
Darth Tater
The man

I tried the second recipe cause I'm not big on corn meal. However, I think I made em too big cause they wouldn't cook on the middle. How many lembas did it yield for ya?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:29 PM   #12
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Erm...about...fifteen to twenty. Just use a round cookie cutter, about two inches in diameter, and make em about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. There's not much rising agent in em, so they should stay that way. I'm still working on making them better...did you try the cloves or the hazelnut? How were they (besides being uncooked, that is... )
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 02-23-2002, 11:54 PM   #13
Darth Tater
The man

LOL, I made two huge rounds. They tasted pretty good though. I used the cloves. Next time I might try to go a bit fluffier but first I'll try your recipe the way it was meant to be done.

Nolendil, Tolkien expert extraordinaire, informed me that corn was used in lembas. Also, it's supposed to be cream colored in the middle. Ok, so we've got an oxi moron right there. I'm thinking it's rolled in corn meal. Methinks I'll do some experimenting tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:11 PM   #14
Darth Tater
The man

Mmmmm, lembas! I made it right this time around, and it's delicious!
Old 02-24-2002, 02:01 PM   #15
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

So glad...
Certainly post any new versions you come up with...I won't think mine is the best or anything...it does need some help. And corn sounds yummy... (I'll see if I can try your corn bit today, Eruviel)
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 02-27-2002, 02:00 PM   #16
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Hmm...I tried the corn one Eruviel made and for some reason it didn't turn out like when you made it....it tastes just like cornbread. Which isn't a bad thing...it just isn't lembas! So...I dunno...maybe a little less corn and more flour....or I could use wheat flour instead of spelt, which is all we have in the house (yargh).
Hey, Eruviel...what'cha think of my avatar? "The apple conspiracy...!"
-tano *eats apple*

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 02-27-2002, 06:30 PM   #17
Eruviel Greenleaf

You're right, Tano, it is just like cornbread. I think I'll experiment with it tomorrow, when I have time. If it works, I'll post the new recipe. Good, Tano. Continue the apple conspiracy!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-01-2002, 12:46 AM   #18
Eruviel Greenleaf

Well, I tried to make lembas again, but it failed. I was trying to make it fluffier (is that a word?) but it ended up having lots of air pockets. Also, the large amount of spices I put in were hard to taste. Anyway, I'd like to hear some suggestions for other ME things to try and make...or I'll just search the books for mention of food...

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-01-2002, 04:21 PM   #19
Arian
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

Elf sorta bread.
1 cup flour (white)
1/2 stick of butter (melted)
1/4 tbs. salt
1/3 cup milk
1Tbs. baking powder

Mix all the stuff together. And if the dough is to dry add more milk. Preheat the oven to 350o and grease the baking sheet. Then roll out the dough. Put alittle flour on the table so the dough will not stick. Roll out dough, smoothly. Then take a cookie cutter and cut shapes out. Place the cut out shapes on to the greased sheet. And place in oven for 10-12 mins. When done let them cool for 2mins. You want to eat them hot, but not too hot.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:37 PM   #20
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Cool! I'll try those soon, Arian.
Yes, Eruviel darling, fluffier is a word. And for someone who uses funner, why are you worried?
Some ideas for other stuff to make:
Mushroom pie
Mushroom salad
Mushrooms grilled with herbs
(I think like a hobbit, can you tell?)
And..um...well...I dunno. Can't think of anything and Kat has my fellowship book...*sigh*
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Closed Thread