Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2001, 01:23 PM   #1
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel The two towers

What does the title mean? Something like Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith...?
Old 12-22-2001, 01:43 PM   #2
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Minas Morgul and Orthank.
The book's plot is set in the area between these towers.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:13 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The Title 'The Two Towers' refers to Minas Tirith and Minas Ithil (Morgul).
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 01:16 PM   #4
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Tirith and Morgul? Strange... In my version, it is said that "the book represents events which happened in the area between Minas Morgul and Orthank".
Old 12-23-2001, 01:56 PM   #5
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I'm pretty sure it's Minas Morgul and Orthanc.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 02:22 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
I'm pretty sure it's Minas Morgul and Orthanc.
*ditto*
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 03:43 PM   #7
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Yep, Minas Morgul and Orthanc.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 03:53 PM   #8
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Really? I always taught, that it was referring to Narchost and Carchost, the Fang Towers at Morannon...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:41 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The Title does refer to Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith, firstly the name 'The Two Towers' fits in to the fact that the two towers are actually twins, some of the events take place near these towers and the orignal designs for the book (designed by Tolkien) clearly show Tirith and Morgul, It shows a white tower with a tree above it and to its right it shows a black tower.

Last edited by Comic Book Guy : 12-23-2001 at 05:47 PM.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:59 PM   #10
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think Tolkien changed his mind a bit about which towers the Two Towers applied to. But I know that in the final version of the jacket design, the two Towers depicted are indeed Minas Morgul and Orthanc. Minas Morgul has the Nine Rings illustrated on it, with a moon in a Ring above it and a 'Winged Nazgul', and Orthanc has a White Hand design above it. Minas Tirith would be little odd, don't you think? It doesn't appear in Volume II, Treason of Isengard ends with Pippin and Gandalf on their way to it.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:19 PM   #11
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

I think it is Morgul and Tirith
In the Quenyan texts the title is
"I Atta Mindu " I = the, Atta = two, Mindu - this is towers in dual form. Meaning they have to be associated with one another. Their are two types of plural one for two unassociated objects and one fore related,the aforementioned "dual form".

So I hold with the The Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith belief.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 11:25 PM   #12
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

but i think your right that their was some indesciveness on the part of Tolkien- I think he originally meant Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul but considering changed the meaning.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:24 AM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Orthanc and Morgul are connected by the PalantÃ*ri, aren't they? I mean, there PalantÃ*r of Ithil at the time of the LotR resided in Barad-dûr, but it used to be in Ithil. And there were the Nazgûl going back and forth between the two during the book. Look at this way: the only towers seen in Book III include the tower in the Burg of the Hornburg, and Orthanc. The only towers seen in Book IV are the Towers of the Teeth on the Black Gate, Minas Morgul, and (briefly) the Tower of Cirith Ungol. Minas Tirith isn't seen at all.

We can all agree I'm sure that the tower in the Hornburg is out of the question, so we should have these options: Orthanc and Ungol, Orthanc and Morgul or the Towers of the Teeth. But 'Two Towers' was invented to link the two (really unrelated plot-wise) Books together. So I think we can rule out the towers on the Morannon, which only are seen in Book IV. So we have Orthanc and Ungol or Orthanc and Morgul. Orthanc and Morgul makes more sense to me.

Minas Tirith isn't in the Two Towers!
Old 12-24-2001, 11:40 AM   #14
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

that sounds right; it would make sense for the comparison to be that of the palantir
Old 12-27-2001, 09:52 PM   #15
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Look at the VERY VERY VERY end of book one, and it will mention Minas Morgul and Orthanc.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 04:02 AM   #16
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Tolkien proposed the title in Letter 140 (written on August 17, 1953):

"The Fellowship of the Ring will do, I think; it fits well with the fact that the last chapter of the Volume is The Breaking of the Fellowship. The Two Towers gets as near as possible to finding a title over the widely divergent Books 3 and 4; and can be left ambiguous -- it might refer to Isengard and Barad-dur, or to Minas Tirith and B; or Isengard and Cirith Ungol. On reflection I prefer fo Vol. III The War of the Ring, since it gets in the Ring again; and also is more non-committal, and gives less hint about the turn of the story: the chapter titles have been chosen also to give away as little as possible in advance. But I am not set in my choice."
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 07:51 AM   #17
Gimly
Enting

I'm just thinking, if the title is supposed to link between the books then It's surely not Orthanc, since it's not in the fourth book.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:18 AM   #18
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

well thanks for the help even if we are still undecided
Old 01-02-2002, 03:11 AM   #19
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

hey, if tolkien didn't know himself, how is anyone else supposed to?
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 11:49 PM   #20
TinuvielChild
Padawan

yeah, what KGamgee said: at the EXTREME END of my copy of FotR, it says:

Quote:
Here ends the first part of the history of the War of the Ring.
The second part is called The Two Towers, since the events recounted in it are dominated by Orthanc, the citadel of Saruman, and the fortress of Minas Morgul that guards the secret entrance to Mordor
guess that about settles it, huh?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote