Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Has anyone ever read it before? I'm being forced to read it for school right now, I have about 100 pages to finish by Monday, and I just can't seem to get through them. At least that's in large print. If you've read it... or even if you have only seen the movie, then please help me get through it, I just can't will myself to pick it up and finish it... but if I don't then I fell English class. Plus, if I finish it, then my teacher will take me and whoever else finishes it and passes the test to see the movie, and so I'll get to scip some class.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Location: Beyond conscious thought... and always out of reach
I saw the movie a few days ago... Very very good, though i figure in a book it'd be a tad boring... If there's anyway I can help I'd be more than happy to, lol.

Potius mori quam foedari...
Death before dishonour...
Akamai Deredal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #3
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Well *sigh* I finished it, not willingly, but I did, and just in time for a test on Monday!

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I have a question, for all of you who have seen the movie. I know that this is in the book forom, and it did start out as a discussion thread for the books (admins-please forgive me), but now since I have read it, and should have passed the test and have permission to see the movie, I want to know if I should. I have heard revews about sexual content (is this apropreat for the 'moot?) and I was wondering, breifly without detals, if you could tell me if it is alot, a little, to much for a 14 year old, something that I should see, or if I should skip the movie all together. Tell me what you think- I'm a Christian, so I want to be catios.

(Admins- if you find this in any way inapropreat for the moot, then please edit my post)

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Location: Beyond conscious thought... and always out of reach
Well, I'm on the verge of 15, and when I went to see it with my aunts and cousin... well, I didn't feel very comfortable watching those certain parts. Lots of nudity, really. And as my cousin stated, "You get to see a lot more of Nicole Kidman than you bargained for." ::shrugs:: For me, it was a bit too much, but I don't go to church regularly... not that it has anything to do with it, I just figure I think a bit different than people that do, who knows. So I suppose it's up to you. But be warned: When people say there's a lot of sexual content in that movie, they are NOT lying. o.o

Potius mori quam foedari...
Death before dishonour...
Akamai Deredal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

*sigh* well, I was convinced by a Christian friend not to see it . Guess I'll be spending class next monday with a lot of little kids, while the other people that passed the test go to the theater. I just wish that I could do something else instead of sit in with a lot of little kids *trys not to cry*. I just don't want to fill punished for what I think is morally right to do. And I got the test back today, my teacher said that I did really good, in front of the whole class, that mine was really really good, and that came from the teacher that dosn't really like me. Oh well, my mom said that it was my chouse, and that she would sighn the permission form for me to go, and I have made my chouse. I hope it's worth it. Why is doing what is morally right for a 14 year-old so hard?

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
katya
Elven Maiden

Wow, you have a lot of dedication to your beliefs! TO not go to a movie with the class? I figured you were just considering renting it or something (oh..yeah i guess it must be new... shows how much I pay attention ). Well, anyway, just follow your heart. Don't do anything you'll regret. Ask yourself, "how will I feel about this in the future?".
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
Wow, you have a lot of dedication to your beliefs! TO not go to a movie with the class? I figured you were just considering renting it or something (oh..yeah i guess it must be new... shows how much I pay attention ). Well, anyway, just follow your heart. Don't do anything you'll regret. Ask yourself, "how will I feel about this in the future?".
When I told my teacher he was like and couldn't understand why that would stop me, and I couldn't explane it to him, so I basically just left it, saying that I didn't want to see them, and when he said "well just close your eyes or leave the theater" I told him that I wouldn't know when they would come up, because they would probably just spring up, knowing how movies mess up books, and he was about to answer, when someone threw a rock and he had to give them a referal, and that was that.

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #9
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
*sigh* well, I was convinced by a Christian friend not to see it . Guess I'll be spending class next monday with a lot of little kids, while the other people that passed the test go to the theater. I just wish that I could do something else instead of sit in with a lot of little kids *trys not to cry*. I just don't want to fill punished for what I think is morally right to do. And I got the test back today, my teacher said that I did really good, in front of the whole class, that mine was really really good, and that came from the teacher that dosn't really like me. Oh well, my mom said that it was my chouse, and that she would sighn the permission form for me to go, and I have made my chouse. I hope it's worth it. Why is doing what is morally right for a 14 year-old so hard?
Good for you! I'm 15 and I didn't see the movie because I don't see R rated movies either....its hard isn't it? Lots of the times, my friends ask me to go and its awkward. Oh well.
I wasn't a big Cold Mountain fan myself. I thought it was really slow and I didn't like the characters much (Ruby was okay). But I just thought it was sort of...melodramatic. Oh well.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote