Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-21-2003, 04:30 AM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Does Arwen have some kind of deadly decease?

"Arwen is dying"
Whatever does he mean?

I understand that in marrying Aragorn she relinquishes her immortality, but she doesn't die within a few days, does she?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ha ha! We're all dying!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:04 AM   #3
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

heheh I'm dying to hear Philippa Boyens answer that question come the Extended Edition DVD!

I wonder what reason she'll give. I'm really curious..

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 12-21-2003 at 10:06 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

She (Arwen) gets no sympathy from me!
Old 12-21-2003, 11:19 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Does Arwen have some kind of deadly decease?

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
"Arwen is dying"
Whatever does he mean?

I understand that in marrying Aragorn she relinquishes her immortality, but she doesn't die within a few days, does she?
Well, that is one of the more stupid elements they threw into the movie. They tied Arwen's life force to the Ring of Power, so now, coupled with her choice of mortality and the power of the Ring, she was dying, until the distruction of the Ring was completed.

That is so stupid to me. Why was her life force tied to the Ring? Why not Galadriel or Elrond? They had two of the rings of power. If they had to put such a stupid element in the movie, wouldn't they have been the better choices? But then again, why do that at all?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Since I haven't seen the movie yet...."Really!"

Yup, sounds dumb! They have a poor track record when it comes to Arwen.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
Thuringwethil
Hobbit

it made sense, but not a lot of it. It was just supposed to make it MORE SUSPENSEFUL OMG ARAGORN MIGHT NOT SEE HER AGAIN OMGOMGOMGOMG WAT IF THEY DONT DESTROY TEH RING !!11!! OMG

Something like that.
Thuringwethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:17 PM   #8
Almie
Hobbit

When I saw the movie my initial thought was that she was dying of sorrow. Elves can die because of great sorrow, and her forbidden love could have been the source of that sorrow.

That was what I thought, anyway, but I'm not sure if that was meant that way.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:31 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Almie
When I saw the movie my initial thought was that she was dying of sorrow. Elves can die because of great sorrow, and her forbidden love could have been the source of that sorrow.

That was what I thought, anyway, but I'm not sure if that was meant that way.
Wow, that's actually a pretty good point, never thought og it that way...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:37 AM   #10
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I agree with Sister Golden Hair on this one. They tied Arwen's life force to the ring of power. In all the seven hells, why??? Did they think Aragorn needed some additional incentive to back the Frodo goes to Mt. Doom ploy? He seemed committed enough to me. Did they think, since they've made Elrond so anti-Aragorn, that he needed some reasoning to take the sword to Aragorn, since in the movie he didn't already have it? I thought this was unneccessary. Perhaps they wrote themselves into a corner with the changes and felt some explanation was needed.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:51 AM   #11
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I had this same question and someone explained it to me much the same way Almie did: If the Ring is not destroyed, then inevitably Sauron will get it. Aragorn will fight to the death, and if Sauron has the Ring, that pretty much means that Aragorn is meat. Arwen would be completely heartbroken about not being with Aragorn and die. It's an indirect thing.

However, after this was proposed to me, I watched the movie again. If this was the writers' intention, they should have made it clearer. It seems to me that because the Ring hasn't been destroyed, Arwen is dying. I seem to recall that while she's laying there, she says something along the lines of "I wish I could have seen him again." They really made it seem like she had a direct relationship to the Ring.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 AM   #12
Maciliel
Sapling

Hi folks (and HI! SGH!). I don't post here much, but I'm not new to Tolkien or the PJ movies.

Upon seeing the film the second time this element was not as jarring to me as it was the first time and in fact, even made sense.

In the scene where Arwen drops the book and then Elrond comes to her it seemed to me that this is the moment when her choice becomes fully manifest and her body becomes mortal. She seems to sense a change within herself, which is why she drops the book. Elrond comes and also seems to notice the change in her. He takes her hands with such concern and comments that they are cold and realizes that indeed his beloved daughter will never sail unto the West--she is bound by the Choice of Luthien.

At the moment she assumes mortality, Arwen's fate becomes truly tied to the Ring in the way that it is for all mortals and that it would not be if she were an Elf. And if Aragorn, Frodo and the forces of good do not prevail, she will live out whatever might be left of her mortal life in a world consumed by evil. And this without the hope of ever being reunited with her family in Valinor, or they with her--a future of unimaginable heartbreak for Elrond and her family.

And if Aragorn falls, and they are never married, there is an even greater chance that she will die alone and in great torment. Elrond had already had his wife sail West before him because she could not endure the memory of her torment by Orcs in the Redhorn Pass. It is unbearable to him that Arwen might also suffer such a fate, but never have the opportunity to come to Aman and be made whole once more. Aragorn must succeed.

I thought Hugo Weaving did an outstanding job of portraying Elrond. When he gives the bride away at the end, the expression on his face speaks volumes as they say.

Despite the fact that no one knows what happens to Men when they die, if Arwen and Aragorn are married, it strengthens the possibility that theirs is a bond that might persist beyond their passing. Her capacity for estel is

My husband however, had not read the books and loved the first two movies so I was curious about his response. He found Elrond's statement a little disconcerting--but he accepted it. He said, "There is a whole world of information about ME that I don't understand--I just figured that was one of those things." BUT--guess what? At the end of the third film, he turned to me with the tears still wet on his cheeks and said he understood why I spent so much time in Middle Earth. He is going to read the books! He's been asking me all kinds of questions. Add one to the growing list of Tolkien nerds, ah, fans!

Sorry for the long post. I'm generally, ah, fulsome, in my responses.

Last edited by Maciliel : 12-30-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Maciliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:05 AM   #13
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Congrats with your husband!

I think I'll have to see the movie once more to see if I notice the 'change'...
SF-Fandom forum, right?

Last edited by Falagar : 12-30-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:08 AM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Welcome back Maciliel. Stick around this time.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:11 PM   #15
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Hey maciliel, that's a great explanation. If Arwen is now as mortal as a human, her fate, like the fate of mankind, is tied to the One Ring.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:43 PM   #16
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

I think people are putting too much effort into explaining what is, at it’s core, nothing more than a stupid addition (one of many in these films) in this case, to add new tension in the love department of the script since previous tensions have been resolved now that we know she didn't take the ship.

I argued in another thread that I think in some way that scene with Arwen was meant to show she had become mortal (although it's not exactly clear). That would be fine if it were just left at that. However the addition of the “she is sick, she is dying” thing is out of place regardless of whether she is mortal at this point or not. No one else in movie Middle-earth (mortal or immortal) is “sick and dying” because of the ring; no one else’s immediate health is bound to the ring (except Frodo's).

If that indeed is what Elrond is saying than he could have told Aragorn she has made her choice and she is now a mortal, and her fate is now tied to the fate of men, and what awaits her in death (whenever that may be) he does not know. That would have made sense to both Tolkien and non Tolkien fans. What he did say does not make any sense because it would mean that everyone in ME that is mortal is dying, and that is a story element that has not been used anywhere else in the film.

Further, the whole notion that the war is in some way tied to the concept of ending the race of men is itself another one of those pointless additions which is completely undercut by the fact that a huge portion of Sauron’s army are “men”.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 12-30-2003 at 03:05 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:23 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

Yes...all mortals are dying, the moment we start living....we also start dying. Big deal! Ring schming....
Old 12-30-2003, 04:27 PM   #18
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

....and thus quoteth the High Priestess of Doo Dah.

Basically we can come up with whatever explanation we like. Still, personally, I think they made it needlessly more difficult that they could have.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:44 PM   #19
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I thought that Elrond was freaking out because Arwen was mortal lol like all mortals are dying and that she was dying and hes just stupid and worried. but then the whole 'i wish i could have seen him one last time' thing... *rolls eyes* are you sure she was actually literally dying? Because that happened in one of his dreams didnt it?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:22 PM   #20
Maciliel
Sapling

I'll admit I found the whole "Arwen is dying...Her fate is now linked to the Ring" thing very jarring the first time I saw the film. However, the second time around, since I was expecting it, it wasn't so bad. Don't think it was necessary though.

The scene between Elrond and Arwen is wonderful in any case.
Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Congrats with your husband!

I think I'll have to see the movie once more to see if I notice the 'change'...
SF-Fandom forum, right?
Yep!

Well I'll try to stick around Sister GH, oh fellow Finrod fan. I keep meaning to get involved in the Sil project, but you folks are sure getting down there. Go you Silmarillies!
Maciliel is offline   Reply With Quote