Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2003, 02:11 AM   #1
Thuringwethil
Hobbit

Your favorite Zeppelin song?

Since, I don't know a single human being who doesn't love Zeppelin, I wanna see what you all think of em. Post your opinion of them and your fav song, if you have one.

Mine is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, or No Quarter.

Sometimes I just cant decide.
Thuringwethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:16 AM   #2
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

It is hard to decide.

For me:

Based solely on sound of song it would have to be "Dazed & Confused" or "Kashmir"

If you take song as whole, it becomes tougher to decide. "Stairway to Heaven" is great, but there are other good songs to choose from.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:19 AM   #3
Thuringwethil
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
It is hard to decide.

For me:

Based solely on sound of song it would have to be "Dazed & Confused" or "Kashmir"

If you take song as whole, it becomes tougher to decide. "Stairway to Heaven" is great, but there are other good songs to choose from.
Stairway is a great song, but really, anyone who says it's their favorite isn't a true Zeppelin fan. It's probably the only song that they've heard by them. Not to say I don't like the song, I like it a lot, just certainly not my favorite.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:38 AM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Thuringwethil
Stairway is a great song, but really, anyone who says it's their favorite isn't a true Zeppelin fan. It's probably the only song that they've heard by them. Not to say I don't like the song, I like it a lot, just certainly not my favorite.
Maybe I am not a true fan.

I just love the start of "Stairway to Heaven".

post 250

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 12-20-2003 at 02:40 AM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Oh man how can you just pick one. or ten for that matter. But Im quite impressed. ive NEVER met anyone who even has Babe I'm Gonna Leave You in their top five let alone as the best Zeppelin song. What insight! Its quite possibly the best rock song ever written. Although note that it was written by Joan Baez and originally was this sort of surreal haunting alto filled folk song thats really worth listening to itself. Then Page discovered it and through Zeppelin turned it into this killer gut wrenching emotionaly devistating proto-metal battering ram that really is one of the first uses of Page's beloved light/heavy approach to music. He found combining this folk balad with a heavy blues rock delivery made for something special. This song requires you to turn off all the lights and turn up the muisc to the point where the asphalt in the road outside your house is jumping with Jones's base. THEN you get the true effect... glorious...

A few ticks down from Babe Im Gonna Leave you has to be Since Ive Been Loving You. Another example of Zeppelins incredible ability to take hard core blues and rock it up and weave it into something that just drowns you and devistates you with both power and subtlty. Another track that must be experienced loud and in the dark.

Other then those two I gotta include:
Communication Breakdown
Dazed and Confused (which I know is sort of a Zeppelin "standard" but Ive come back to it again after years and years to realize just how good it is)
How Many More Times
Immigrant Song
The Rain Song
Ten Years Gone
Travelling Riverside Blues (how can you go wrong when you take one part 1920's Delta blues and one part hard rock and slam em together!)
What Is And What Should Never Be

ah I better stop. Theres a bunch more I want to include...

EDIT: Ah!! When The Levee Breaks!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 12-20-2003 at 10:29 AM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:14 PM   #6
gdl96
the greg the admin

The Rain Song is my favorite. It's such a soothing song, that no matter what kind of mood I'm in, I can always listen to it.

Some other favorites:
Going to California
Misty Mountain Hop
Over the Hills and Far Away
Communications Breakdown
Black Dog
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:13 PM   #7
Thuringwethil
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
The Rain Song is my favorite. It's such a soothing song, that no matter what kind of mood I'm in, I can always listen to it.

Some other favorites:
Going to California
Misty Mountain Hop
Over the Hills and Far Away
Communications Breakdown
Black Dog
Another one of my favorites. And I also forgot Achilles Last Stand! Who cares if it's 10:24, it's one of their most powerful songs in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Lady Arwen56
Elven Warrior

Location: In the land of Happy, where Rainbows are called SHINY COLORFUL RAYS OF DEATH!!!!
yea, my favorite Zeppelin song is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You too, so...ya know....woo-hoo for me!!
Lady Arwen56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

immigrant song and black dog
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:50 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Depends what mood I'm in. Right now it's Kashmir and Immigrant Song. I also like All My Love - no, not because it sounds cheesey, but because it's unusual.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i listen to them a lot and have many favorites of the moment... but my top few all time...

How Many More Times
The Lemon Song
Travelling Riverside Blues
Wanton Song
Fool In the Rain
Black Country Woman
Old 12-22-2003, 07:48 PM   #12
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Hmm, they do so many different kinds of music it's hard to choose one song.

Blues: Since I've been loving you, The Lemon song, How many more times.
Rockin': The Ocean!(Why hasn't nobody mentioned this!!), Black Dog, Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker.
Epics: Achilles Last Stand
Ballads: Thank You
Folksy: That's the way.
Best Instrumental: Black Mountainside

And of the course the usual Kashmir, Stairway to Heaven, No Quarter etc.

The version of Babe I'm going to leave you on DVD is terrible. Everything else however on the DVD reinforces Zeppelin's claim to best band ever. The best takes on the DVD are Dazed and Confused, Black Dog, Achilles Last Stand and an incredible kick-ass heavy as hell version of Immigrant Song.

Robert Plant has a new Best of album, though I probably won't buy it as Greatest hits stuff usually suck. I bought Zeppelin's later years and later years and the tracklisting was beyond awful.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:11 PM   #13
gdl96
the greg the admin

Quote:
Rockin': The Ocean!(Why hasn't nobody mentioned this!!)
I was just listening to that one the other day on the radio actually. The second part of the song, when it starts rocking, is awsome. The first part isn't bad either.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #14
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

There's too many great Zeppelin songs to choose just one. My favourites would have to be:

Since I've Been Loving You
Going to California
Immigrant Song
White Summer
Moby Dick (live version with Bonham's great solo)
When The Levee Breaks
Misty Mountain Hop
The Battle of Evermore

And the obvious: Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, and Dazed and Confused.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:32 PM   #15
olsonm
Elf Lord

Four Sticks. That's the Way. In my Time of Dying. I also love the SRTS live version of Dazed and Confused. But I could list them all, really.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
random_precision
Sapling

Well, I discovered Led Zeppelin about two years ago, and after my first listen i went: WOW!!
And then after my second listen i went: WOOOOOWW!!!
And now after my n-hundreth listen i'm still adding to those WOOOWs!

Favorite songs?

The Battle of Evermore
Bring it on Home
Whole Lotta Love
The Rain Song

Not in any particular order, and if i had to answer this same question next month I'd probably name different songs. But that's just because they're great!
random_precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Led

I just spent a good part of last night watching my Led Zep DVD. They rock! Brought back many a memory as I was fortunate to see them live twice. In 69 and in 77! Raw awesome power! I like Led Zep III alot, but if I have to get down to a song or two, I have to say that [b]Babe, I'm going to Leave You[/i] brings back fond memories of me leaving my ex wife.

I have to agree with Random in that this changes depending on when I'm answering the question. Lots of good songs they have. I have to say that you can't beat Dazed & Confused or Communications Breakdown live.... at least in 69.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #18
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well i finally formalized my list on a rate your music site.

TOP 10 ZEPPELIN SONGS

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #19
Beor
founder of the color blue

Re: Led

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
I just spent a good part of last night watching my Led Zep DVD. They rock! Brought back many a memory as I was fortunate to see them live twice. In 69 and in 77! Raw awesome power!
Snowdog, is that the new DVD set that just came out? Also, you saw Led Zepplin in concert? You are my new hero.

But...

I do think that Achillies Last Stand beats Dazed and Confused, just my opinion... (though, I've never seen them live)
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #20
gdl96
the greg the admin

Nice list, IR. But I think I'd do things a little differently. I think you've inspired me to make my own list.

But I think my list would vary from week to week. Right now I've been listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin III stuff, so if I made this list now, half of the songs would be from that album.