Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Christmas?

I really couldn't think of agood name for this thread so that'll have to do. I have a question for some of the older Mooters or at lest those who know a tiny bit about psycology. Last years christmas with my family was okay but there was alot of underlying tension, well during the past year that tension came to a boil and for a while we were having some family problems (my aunts a drug addict, she's in jail now, I am posting this more or less because of her but that's another story). I really want to make this a good chirstmas for everyone and I geuss it shows because my parents said I should slow down a little (I was on a decorating rampage). Is my subconcious being repressed? The fact that no one wants to talk about this because it is the holiday season is bugging me...I need to talk about it. Please post a reply!
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Umm I don't know if I can help or not but I hate the holidays for just that reason. It seems to me that everyone has to put on a fake face for so long it just disgusts me. Call me a scrooge or whatever but I'd rather show how I feel than walk around with a smile like an idiot for a month.

And I'd say that tension in the family is normal, especially when every is trying so hard to sit on it and not let it show. I'm not sying fighting is a good thing, but holidays in generaly usually cause more stress than anything else just for the reason that everybody is striving to make themselves appear so jovial all the time. Maybe spend some time just talking to a few relatives at a time. If you always go to big social events with the family it's too crowded and everybody has something to say. Try visiting a few relatives at a time that way there won't be so many opinions getting flung around.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I find if you don't have overly high expectations of holiday "magic", you'll have an easier go. Just try to help out when you see a need (present wrapping, cooking, cleaning, not rushing people to do things if they are tired or a little burnt out) and be willing to over look little things that others might say or do. Just try to go with the flow, and be cheerful. Grownups can feel a lot of pressure to make Christmas a big special deal, like a tv fantasy. Just aim for some good moments, some good food, and a sense of relaxation for EVERYONE! Christmas is supposed to be a sort of vacation! Good luck! If there's a bad moment or two (there always is!) just sweep it under the rug and forget it.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
Umm I don't know if I can help or not but I hate the holidays for just that reason. It seems to me that everyone has to put on a fake face for so long it just disgusts me. Call me a scrooge or whatever but I'd rather show how I feel than walk around with a smile like an idiot for a month.

And I'd say that tension in the family is normal, especially when every is trying so hard to sit on it and not let it show. I'm not sying fighting is a good thing, but holidays in generaly usually cause more stress than anything else just for the reason that everybody is striving to make themselves appear so jovial all the time. Maybe spend some time just talking to a few relatives at a time. If you always go to big social events with the family it's too crowded and everybody has something to say. Try visiting a few relatives at a time that way there won't be so many opinions getting flung around.
Heh! I'm a little glad I'm in a real small family sometimes! Sometimes I get that "waitress feeling" of "give them what they want and get THEM OUT OF HERE!" when out of town relatives are around for awhile! Heh! I'm such a crank!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
You guys are such a help. Thanks for caring. (Read my sig)
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Call me a scrooge or whatever but I'd rather show how I feel than walk around with a smile like an idiot for a month.
Well, I say, try smiling like an idiot for a month!

Let it go, and have fun, Fim. Its not your fault! You are a good person, and good people are needed, especially around Christmas time. Take it easy and have fun, enjoy the lights, and smile, not because you are faking, but because you have much to be happy for... jail isn't the worst thing that could have happened to your aunt... I know from personal experience... and like my family, you might find that this can be an opportunity for your family to forge even stronger relationships.

--Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:35 AM   #7
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin

And I'd say that tension in the family is normal, especially when every is trying so hard to sit on it and not let it show. I'm not sying fighting is a good thing, but holidays in generaly usually cause more stress than anything else just for the reason that everybody is striving to make themselves appear so jovial all the time....
You got it right.

Bears have it made. They sleep for the winter with a plug of feces in their butt.... hmmm... wait... that's kinda gross... nevermind.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:25 AM   #8
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
You got it right.

Bears have it made. They sleep for the winter with a plug of feces in their butt.... hmmm... wait... that's kinda gross... nevermind.
Bears rule! I'd so be a bear if I could and just laze around all day in constipated sluggishness. Except maybe my bowels would be a little more regular.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
macmico
Hobbit

although you are obviously trying very hard to improve everyones christmas, you should concentrate more on enjoying yours. christmas i feel can be more a time of remembering than forgetting. by trying so hard you can be let down. just relax and enjoy the time when families and friend come together. dont feel guilty if someone chooses to dwell on unhappy times nothing you can do will change the day's meaning to them.

the magic of christmas appears on its own not by what you do to achieve it.

you are not alone everyone has personal tragedy that they remember at this time of year.

at the end of christmas day take away the good things that have happened

i hope that you have a very merry christmas
Old 12-20-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Ah, this explains the gift wrapping bows in your hair...a little.

What exactly do you mean by 'your subconcious being repressed'

Last edited by Elvellyn : 12-20-2003 at 08:31 PM.
Elvellyn is offline   Reply With Quote