Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2003, 05:42 AM   #1
Draken
Elf Lord

LOTR wins the BBC Big Read

The BBC's latest Big Read event ended on the weekend, with the voting confined to the Top 21 books from the previous Big Read Top 100.

The winner (having led throughout) was Lord of the Rings. The Top 5 was:

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Pride and Prejudice
3. His Dark Materials
4. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:30 AM   #2
Bilbo
Enting

How could LOTR not have won? It was voted The greatest book of the 20th century. THe main question is: without the films would it still have won?

Note: I must have good tastes. I've read 4 out of the 5 in the top 5. (not Pride and Prejudice)
Old 12-17-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Those are my favorite books as well (with the exception of Pride and Prejustice, which I haven't read, and the Silmarillion missing), in that order!

Of course LotR won, it's best.

Last edited by Falagar : 12-17-2003 at 10:31 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Those are my favorite books as well (with the exception of Pride and Prejustice, which I haven't read, and the Silmarillion missing), in that order!

Of course LotR won, it's best.
You place Pride and Prejudice over the Silmarillion?!?!

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

The BBC Big Read started well and then went to pieces. They over did the hype and then chose the weirdest way to introduce the books. Yes, of course, LoTR's came first, and Pride and Prejudice really is a fantastic book (those of you who haven't read it should do so), but His Dark Materials the third greatest book ever?!?!?!? only in a very small dank universe - surely some mistake Ed?
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:21 AM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
How could LOTR not have won? It was voted The greatest book of the 20th century. THe main question is: without the films would it still have won?

Note: I must have good tastes. I've read 4 out of the 5 in the top 5. (not Pride and Prejudice)
Me too! (I've read the same 4 of 5)

Of course it would have won without the movies!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:24 AM   #7
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by LutraMage
The BBC Big Read started well and then went to pieces. They over did the hype and then chose the weirdest way to introduce the books. Yes, of course, LoTR's came first, and Pride and Prejudice really is a fantastic book (those of you who haven't read it should do so), but His Dark Materials the third greatest book ever?!?!?!? only in a very small dank universe - surely some mistake Ed?
From what I saw, they gave the 'champions' of each book a lot of leeway in how they presented the strengths of the chosen book. So inevitably the quality was down to the person. From what I saw, Bill Oddie did a good job for Wind In the Willows, while Ronni Ancona's take on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was...well... a little odd (but hey she's nice to look at so I forgive her!).

Best of the ones I saw was Sanjeev Bhaskar doing Hitchikers - a very good comedy writer explaining comedy writing, it worked well.

As to the final finishing places...I think it shows that interest in reading is really being rekindled among the younger generation in the UK - and just how fantastic is that?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:52 AM   #8
Garina
Elf Lord

What I found hilarious was that apparently since the Big Read programmes started, sales of books hardly rose at all, but sales of audio books and film/tv adaptations rose substantially!

All top five books are amazing reads. Pride and Predjudice is my favourite book that isn't fantasy/science fiction, and is definitely a good book to start with if you want to read Jane Austen. And yes, I would put it above the Silmarillion. While I was fascinated by the Sil, reading it was work! It's more like reading ancient history and mythology than a novel, not really a story at all. His Dark Materials is... interesting. The first two are pretty much straightforward, but the Amber Spyglass turns a lot of things upside down. And it made me cry.

And yay for Douglas Adams!!! I love Hitchhiker's Guide, and am desperate for a copy. But so far, all of my money seems to be going on collecting the History of Middle Earth. :O
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:36 AM   #9
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
You place Pride and Prejudice over the Silmarillion?!?!
Haven't read Pride and Prejudice, so can't really place/rate it.
Quote:
And yay for Douglas Adams!!! I love Hitchhiker's Guide, and am desperate for a copy. But so far, all of my money seems to be going on collecting the History of Middle Earth. :O
Found The Ultimate Hitch-Hiker's Guide, which includes the whole Guide-series and an extra story, to 99 NOK (about 10 US $, I believe. Don't know how much it is in £). It was my first meeting with written Douglas Adams.

You should visit Norway once.

Last edited by Falagar : 12-18-2003 at 10:41 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:49 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

LoTR just has to be number one obviously. I do wonder , just as Bilbo, what the influences of the movies were on the vote. Though personally I think LoTR is strong enough as a book to deserve number one without really needing the movies to remain top-book.

His dark materials surprised me somewhat to be found at number 3. I heard a lot of good critic of it, even here one the Entmoot. But personally I wasn't so blown away by it and I thought it had some loose ends.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #11
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

yay! I watched, i cheered! lol

I knew they would win but i still voted everyday well whenever i was online i voted on the website!
Well Done LOTR!!!!!!!!

Yay and Harry Potter made it into Top 5!!!!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #12
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

When did LoTR won in the greatest book in the 20th century? Was it before the first movie?

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 12-18-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:35 PM   #13
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

i knew lotr would win .
haha harry potter! you little pib-squeak! hehe upset you didnt get to the top eh? hehe

i didnt really like his dark materials after the first book. it got really irreverent to christianity. and it was taking itself to seriously.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 PM   #14
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The LOTR has been voted the best book before the movies came out. For example, in 1997 Waterstones surveyed 25,000 people in Britain asking what was the best book of the 20th century and the LOTR came first.

I've read all the books except Pride and Prejudice. His Dark Materials are excellent books, although the last one was a let down. Of course Harry Potter would be there, given his popularity. Hitchhikers is great, but top 5? I love Douglas Adams, but that surprised me. And, of course, I think LOTR is the best book I've ever read, so I'm happy with this result.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #15
Finglas
Enting

Im not familiar with this... erm, list of the greatest books of all time. *snigger* Might I ask how these books were chosen? Out of the entirety of extant literature, these are the five greatest? What about Pope's translation of the Iliad? Dante's Divine Comedy? Moby Dick? The King James Bible? Joyce's Ulysses? I can understand Tolkien and Jane Austen being on the list, but not at the top. As for the other three, they're enjoyable enough, but surely you don't think that they'll be taught at St. John's 500 years hence?

In conclusion, what is John Bull smoking these days? Better than Longbottom Leaf it must be!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:22 PM   #16
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Finglas
Im not familiar with this... erm, list of the greatest books of all time. *snigger* Might I ask how these books were chosen? Out of the entirety of extant literature, these are the five greatest? What about Pope's translation of the Iliad? Dante's Divine Comedy? Moby Dick? The King James Bible? Joyce's Ulysses? I can understand Tolkien and Jane Austen being on the list, but not at the top. As for the other three, they're enjoyable enough, but surely you don't think that they'll be taught at St. John's 500 years hence?

In conclusion, what is John Bull smoking these days? Better than Longbottom Leaf it must be!
They were chosen by the British voting on them. Is the Iliad a good book? Sure it's a interesting read (though IMO a bit boring at times. Haven't finished it yet), but does it have all the magic and appeal that LotR has? Or the other books, for that matter? Why are they not as good as the Iliad?
Should people vote for the book they enjoy the most, or the books that are accounted for as classics? How does a book become good, and who should decide which books are the best? Old professors?

About being thaught at St. John's 500 years from now; well, why not?
Old 12-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Finglas

It was voted "best-loved novel" not the greatest book of all time. Books not in the English language were excluded, so Dante and the Iliad were out; the Bible is not, as far as I know, a novel. Ulysses came in at No. 78. Moby Dick was No. 161 - it's nowhere near as popular in Britain as it is in the US.

Don't think I'm making claims for The Big Read as authoritative, though - it certainly wasn't.

And for the record, Anglorfin, I also put Pride and Prejudice above LOTR
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:28 PM   #18
Finglas
Enting

All right then, that makes a bit more sense, but now I have a new gripe: If its a list of the best loved novels, why was Ulysses anywhere on the list? A great book, yes, but I can't say that I know anyone who dosen't hate the blasted thing.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:34 PM   #19
sun-star
Lady of Letters

That's a very good point
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 07:52 PM   #20
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
I liked it. But maybe I'm just sick and twisted.