Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2003, 03:38 AM   #1
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

The return of the Original Houston LoTR line party (and more)

Hey, folks!

I know I've been a stranger around here for the past few months. I have many excuses. But I won't waste your time with them.

Instead, I just want to say that Vince Smith, Thenamir over at the Barrowdowns, is still organizing the Houston LoTR Line Party at the AMC Gulf Pointe 30 theater. We've established a small group here in Houston to advocate literacy, and we're the official organizers/sponsors of the fan event.

http://www.houstontlg.org/

Also, I'll be interviewed on KSAL News Radio in Salina, Kansas on Friday, December 5, at 8:15 AM (CST). It's my understanding that the station has a Webcast. I don't know if the interview will be carried on the Webcast, but I certainly hope so.

http://www.webradiolist.com/pages/st...852&webcasting

I'll check back in a couple of days.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Sorry to expose my ignorance, but what is a Line Party?
Old 11-25-2003, 04:01 AM   #3
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Sorry to expose my ignorance, but what is a Line Party?
Don't be embarrassed.

A line party is where fans get together outside (or, in some cases, inside) a theater to wait for the opening of a movie. In this case, "The Return of the King".

We'll be having a costume contest, a trivia contest, and giving away door prizes. Last year, almost 3,000 people attended the opening of "The Two Towers" at the AMC Gulf Pointe 30 in Houston, where we had our line party.

It's a lot of fun. TheOneRing.Net operates a database where fans around the world organize line parties in their communities.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:42 AM   #4
Artanis

Thanks for info.

I guess fans where I live have already had their sort of 'Line Party', during their 2-weeks lineup for RotK premiere tickets.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Sorry to interrupt your thread Michael, but we are hotly debating your take on Balrog's and wings in the Lord of the Rings Books forum You may want to take a peek at the last couple pages of the thread " the definative balrog answer"

That get together sounds fun, too bad I am too far from Houston
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:31 AM   #6
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I would have thought my position on Balrogs and wings was well known by now. I side with J.R.R. Tolkien: they had wings, after about 1940.

I see no point in arguing with him on the matter.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:54 AM   #7
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I seem to have confused a number of people about the date of the line party. It occurs on TUESDAY, DECEMBER 16. The movie officially opens at midnight, and is therefore officially shown on WEDNESDAY (morning, in the wee hours).

A friend of mine captured the radio interview and we're going to put it up on Xenite.Org. I hope to get that done by tonight.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
That get together sounds fun, too bad I am too far from Houston
ROAD Trip!!!

Last edited by Valandil : 12-07-2003 at 02:09 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Thanks for info.

I guess fans where I live have already had their sort of 'Line Party', during their 2-weeks lineup for RotK premiere tickets.
I think it was 3-weeks, actually.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:58 PM   #10
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I think it was 3-weeks, actually.

Those people must be freakin' crazy.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:11 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Re: The return of the Original Houston LoTR line party (and more)

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Martinez
... is still organizing the Houston LoTR Line Party at the AMC Gulf Pointe 30 theater. We've established a small group here in Houston to advocate literacy, and we're the official organizers/sponsors of the fan event.

http://www.houstontlg.org/[/B]
Gulf Pointe? Don't you mean "Gun" Pointe? Isn't it over by "Gun" Pointe mall?
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:12 PM   #12
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I have never heard of "Gun Pointe". Is that some sort of reference to the neighborhood?

The AMC Gulf Pointe 30 is located near I-45 and the Beltway 8 (south side).

As an aside:

A friend of mine captured the streaming broadcast of the KSAL interview to an MP3 file. Information on how to download the MP3 file is here:

http://www.xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movi..._0001/579.html

Please do not stream the broadcast directly over the Internet. We are not a commercial Web site and we have to pay for going over our bandwidth limit.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:28 PM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

Pick me up on your way down Valandil! I'll be "on the square"....waiting in Frankfort, dressed like Arwen's mom or something.

You lucky people in/near Houston! I hope to see pictures! Hey! Somebody (besides me) organize one for Indianapolis! PLEASE!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:34 AM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
ROAD Trip!!!
Hmmm, I am in Cinci, so you can pick me up on the way down
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #15
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

For what it's worth, I do hope to post pictures on Xenite.Org.

We have a Web site about last year's line party:

http://www.xenite.org/special_events/2002-houston/

And Vince Smith (who organizes the event each year) posted some great pictures with his report at TORN:

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/7/1041099156