Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Christopher Lee...MAD!!!

He's not going to the ROTK premiere because his scenes sere cut out.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

not surprised. All his best parts have been cut out except that one, so there's little left. Maybe he was too much of a purist.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

I think CL is absolutely correct. For non-book people it would have been much more coherent to have the Gandalf/Theoden vs. Saruman confrontation at the beginning of ROTK. Not to mention getting the palantir.
I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason they did it was to get more people to buy the extended dvd next November.
And remember, CT really knows his LOTR. Maybe he'll now rip the wizards duel?

Oops! CT above should be CL (Christopher Lee).
Corrected after error spotted by Mithrand1r below.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-19-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
I think CL is absolutely correct. For non-book people it would have been much more coherent to have the Gandalf/Theoden vs. Saruman confrontation at the beginning of ROTK. Not to mention getting the palantir.
I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason they did it was to get more people to buy the extended dvd next November.
And remember, CT really knows his LOTR. Maybe he'll now rip the wizards duel?
Who is CT? I can guess that CL is Christopher Lee.

I think they should have had the Gandalf/Theoden vs. Saruman confrontation in TT. Then after that go to Cirith Ungol (sp?) ending with the Sam thinking that
Frodo is dead

Just my 2 cents worth.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 11-19-2003 at 03:56 PM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:03 AM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
Who is CT? I can guess that CL is Christopher Lee.

I think they should have had the Gandalf/Theoden vs. Saruman confrontation in TT. Then after that go to Cirith Ungol (sp?) ending with the Sam thinking that
Frodo is dead

Just my 2 cents worth.
Well that's pretty much what I thought too- but you know jackson needed his Eowyn/Arwen/Aragorn love triangle set up - not to mention the huge Helms Deep battle. All that really didn't leave much time for much else. Oh yeah - forgot about the wonderful Osgiliath scene too.

Pippin looking into the Palantir is actually one of my favorite parts of the books. I'm really disappointed they have cut this out.

Tuor of Gondolin - you see the marketing ploys they are using on the extended editions too?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-20-2003 at 05:06 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
Katherine
Sapling

Hi ... new member here ........

Its been awhile since I read the books ... but if CL scenes were cut does that mean they are changing the ending of the book?
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #7
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

Yeah, I'd imagine they'd have to cut out the whole Scouring of the Shire, which seems like a ridiculous plan...
Old 11-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Ach, that's old as old can be. The fact that the Scouring is cut is barely more disputable than the fact that Jackson has a nose.

Welcome to the 'Moot, Katherine. Hope you have a great time here, meet plenty of new people, and all that fun stuff.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 11-20-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:03 PM   #9
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

Jackson has a nose?!

I'm still upset about it (the Scouring, i dont care if the man has a nose )
Old 11-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #10
Katherine
Sapling

Sorry! ....... I didn't realize that it was already known that this was cut ... we've avoided things that would clue my husband into what was coming because he hasn't read the book ....

Well I suppose for a movie it works better for a "happily ever after" ending ..........
Old 11-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

No need to apologise at all.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:19 PM   #12
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Pippin looking into the Palantir is actually one of my favorite parts of the books. I'm really disappointed they have cut this out.
Do you mean they are cutting it out completely? I know I was disappointed it wasn't in TT, but they can't do that in ROTK, can they? I wouldn't be surprised, but it was one of my favs too.

I think it would would be confusing to non-book-readers not having the Gandalf/Saruman confrontation. Gandalf is going to go to Isengard to get Merry and Pippin anyway, right? And he's not going to see Saruman? It's incomplete and makes no sense. Of, course they should have included it in TT (among other things) but it should be in ROTK now. PJ screwed up with not using his time wisely and putting in scenes that really mattered, but of course we all think that right?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:20 PM   #13
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Katherine
... we've avoided things that would clue my husband into what was coming because he hasn't read the book ....

Hmmm. Reading the book first is a debatable point. Personally, I prefer rather have read it and had images fixed in mind before seeing it. Is there a difference in perception, evaluation of the movies by you and your husband?

P.S. Beware of entangling movie arguments between JerseyDevil and Black Breathalizer

P.P.S. I believe Christopher lee has said he's read LOTR once a year for a long time and had long-ago tentative approval by JRRT to be Gandalf in a LOTR movie.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #14
Katherine
Sapling

Jeff's a great and wonderful man ....but he doesn't read books much .... I prefer reading the books first (no matter what movie it is) so that I can get the actual concept the author had. But then I'm addicted to reading ....

I'd forgotten about Gandalf going to Isengard to get Merry and Pippin !!
Old 11-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #15
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
They haven't it's going to be in RotK...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:51 PM   #16
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Oh yes, reading the books first are waay better than seeing the movies. That way you get the true story fixed in your mind the way Tolkien would have wanted and you are not swayed or confused by another's interpretation. Plus books are always, always better than movies, at least IMO.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
[BP.P.S. I believe Christopher lee has said he's read LOTR once a year for a long time and had long-ago tentative approval by JRRT to be Gandalf in a LOTR movie. [/B]
Yes I have heard the same. I think there was a discussion about whether CL would have been a better Gandalf. I personally think he's better as being Saruman.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:58 PM   #17
Katherine
Sapling

Quote:
Yes I have heard the same. I think there was a discussion about whether CL would have been a better Gandalf. I personally think he's better as being Saruman.
I agree ........ he has one of those "evil faces" .....

I'm just shocked really that the ending has been changed ...
Old 11-20-2003, 01:03 PM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
They haven't it's going to be in RotK...
Well that's what I originally thought - but then it seems as if what people are saying - is that he might have cut this out.

I should have said...

"I'm really disappointed IF they have cut this out."

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #19
Katherine
Sapling

hmmm..... Have they cut the gathering at the western shore with Frodo and Bilbo leaving for Valinor with the elves?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:14 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Katherine
hmmm..... Have they cut the gathering at the western shore with Frodo and Bilbo leaving for Valinor with the elves?
The Grey Havens are in - unless jackson decides to put them in the extended RotK version. He might have determined that for the theatrical version that the ending is too sad for the ignorant movie goer. <- didn't know what feeling I should have regarding jackson.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-20-2003 at 01:16 PM.