Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2003, 04:03 AM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Favourite Lines in Harry Potter

What are your favourite lines in all the Harry Potter books? There's room for more than one at the top!

Since lines from the 5th book can be quoted, there may be spoilers for you slow readers... erm... people who haven't read the 5th book yet.

I really enjoyed the angry, sarcastic Harry featured in OotP. The best line, in my opinion, was:

Malfoy: I, unlike you, am a Prefect. So I, unlike you, have the power to hand out punishments.

Harry: You, unlike me, are a git. Now get out and leave us alone.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:28 PM   #2
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Re: Favourite Lines in Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
What are your favourite lines in all the Harry Potter books? There's room for more than one at the top!

Since lines from the 5th book can be quoted, there may be spoilers for you slow readers... erm... people who haven't read the 5th book yet.

I really enjoyed the angry, sarcastic Harry featured in OotP. The best line, in my opinion, was:

Malfoy: I, unlike you, am a Prefect. So I, unlike you, have the power to hand out punishments.

I like that too! I need to look at the book again...
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
Silpion
Elven Warrior

This one is from HP and the Goblet of Fire.

"You know your mother, Malfoy?" said Harry--both he and Hermione had grabbed the back of Ron's robes to stop him from launching himself at Malfoy -- "that expression she's got, like she's got dung under her nose? Has she always looked like that, or was it just because you were with her?"

This one is mean . . . but funny. (At least to me. )
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:51 PM   #4
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

this is one of my favorite moments from the entire series... from 'Prisoner of Azkaban.'

(Trelawney) "I am sorry to say from the moment you arrived in this class, my dear, it has been apparent that you do not have what the noble are of Divination requires. Indeed, I don't remember ever meeting a student whose mind was so hopelessly mundane."

There was a moment's silence. Then-

"Fine!" said Hermione suddenly, getting up and cramming Unfogging the Future back into her bag. "Fine!" she repeated, swinging the bag over her shoulder and almost knocking Ron off his chair. "I give up! I'm leaving!"

And to the whole class's amazement, Hermione strode over to the trapdoor, kicked it open, and climbed down the ladder out of sight.

I absolutely love that scene... I couldn't just put one line in so that it would make sense, so those are my favorite lines.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:05 AM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey, I'm glad you put in the whole scene! I loved that part too. It shows that even Hermione has her academic limits!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-06-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

another good scene, though this time from 'Goblet of Fire.'

(Dumbledore) "As I was saying... we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century. It is my great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" said Fred Weasley loudly.

The tension that had filled the Hall ever since mOody's arrival suddenly broke. Nearly everyone laughed, and Dumbledore chuckled appreciatively.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," he said, "though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, anda leprechaun who all go into a bar..."

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:16 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I love this part. I've already scheduled finishing 1 book, reading 1 more, and re-reding Lord of the Rings this vacation, otherwise I'd probably re-read Harry Potter too!
Quote:
Old 12-10-2003, 09:20 PM   #8
peperheart
Sapling

Favorite Lines In Harry Potter

Hehe, from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone:

"Alas! Earwax!" Very funny!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:02 AM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Ah yes, the reason Dumbledore doesn't like Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans.
Quote:
Old 12-13-2003, 06:07 PM   #10
Cowlek
Sapling

Oh i like all of them too.Especially when Harry snaps at Draco about the prefect thing,
but this is my favourite from all of the books,

'Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have' said Hermione testily picking up her quill again.

I loooooooove that.Its so hilarious.
If you're going through hell, keep going. --Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965) British Statesman, Prime Minister, Author
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
Albert Einstein--Genius....Dyslexic.Anyone can do anything if they want it that bad.
Cowlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:05 AM   #11
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I don't feel like getting my book to look up the exact words but I like the one Dumbledore says about it not being our abilities that make us who we are but our actions.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:14 PM   #12
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Can I post more than one? There are so many great lines in the books! Oh well, I'm goin to anyway.

"He sounds exactly like Moody," said Harry quietly, tucking the letter away again inside his robes. "'Constant vigilance!' You'd think I walk around with my eyes shut, banging off the walls...."
-GoF (one of the best lines...)

"You don't want to bottle your anger up like that, Harry, let it all out," said Fred, beaming. "There might be a couple people 50 miles away who didn't hear you."
-OotP (Fred & George are just too cool!)

"Well, I had one that I was playing Quidditch the other night," said Ron, screwing up his face in an effort to remember. "What do you think that means?"
"Probably that you're going to be eaten by a giant marshmallow or something," said Harry, turning the pages of The Dream Oracle without interest.
-OotP (hehehe....sorry)

Ok, thats all I'm gonna post for now...there are more, but I don't feel like finding them. These were just the ones I could remember and find.
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #13
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Hehehe I liked that too!!!

Fred or George: Give her hell form us Peeves -OotP

Umm I dont remember howit goes. It's in GoF or PoA- Harry and Ron are in Divination it's something like this
Trelawney: "Guess what I have seen?"
Ron: A barmy old codger in oversized specs? (forgive me if I am wrong)
Trelawney: Death!!
*After class*
Harry: (somethinig like this) If I died every time she told me i would, *says something about being dead a lot*
Ron: You'd be some sort of extra- concentrated ghost
I think I got it all wrong, but you get the jist of it I hope
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I remember that scene, though I don't remember the exact quote either. I think you transcribed it pretty well.

Talk about crying wolf eh?
Quote:
Old 01-17-2004, 12:50 AM   #15
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Fred or George: Give her hell form us Peeves -OotP
How could I have forgotten that one?...one of the best lines there is.
Quote:
Harry: (somethinig like this) If I died every time she told me i would, *says something about being dead a lot*
That was funny!!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #16
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Umm I dont remember howit goes. It's in GoF or PoA- Harry and Ron are in Divination it's something like
Trelawney: "Guess what I have seen?"
Ron: A barmy old codger in oversized specs? (forgive me if I am wrong)
Trelawney: Death!!
*After class*
Ron: You'd be some sort of extra- concentrated ghost
I think I got it all wrong, but you get the jist of it I hope
If someone knows how it goes, please tell me!!
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 02-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #17
Orli17
Elven Warrior

Before F & G leave on the Hogwarts express:
"now don't you get yourselves into trouble ok boys? I fi hear you've blown up another toilet seat or-" said Mrs. Weasley
"We've never blown up a toilet seat mum but great idea!"
"Now Fred-"

When the train leaves, and Ginny is crying

"Don't worry Ginny! We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat!"
"FRED! GEORGE!" cried Mrs. Weasley, as the little girl with red hair laughed through her tears.

*not exact wording but the quotes should be accurate!

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:21 PM   #18
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

lol... the toilet seat scene was funny.
Hey guess what I noticed?!?! I just responded to your post on where do you live in ME. I answered to your first 2 posts!!! hehehe

Sorry, I'm probably the only person here who finds that interesting, so don't mind me...
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-03-2004, 12:59 PM   #19
Orli17
Elven Warrior

You're weird in a way but that's kinda mignon too so its ok! I'm not your everyday average girl either (i can get really really hyper sometimes that i'm like a total goofball) but yea everyone has their weird sides...like me...explaining about "weird sides" lol....

The fact is, SOMEONE replied to me so yaaaaaaaay for me...have you read the secret diaries of the fellowship on
www.theorlandobloomfiles.com at the amusement link?
if you haven't you should tho i reckon you've already been there....

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:14 PM   #20
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Yeah, that was funny. They're all over the place. Why did you suddenly ask that? it has nothing to do with fave lines.
-Two Towers extended DVD