Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-01-2001, 09:55 AM   #1
Shanamir Duntak

Cloning

What do you think about the law they just passed?
Old 08-01-2001, 10:45 AM   #2
Manwe Sulimo

Re: Cloning

Ehh... what law are you talking about?
Old 08-01-2001, 03:53 PM   #3
webwizard333

If the law is that human cloning is illegal, than I agree with it. Cloning of humans should not be done because of the serious ethical and moral concerns it raises. For instance, Dolly was cloned after many attempts during which many clones died before even being born. I read somewhere that it would take about 50 tries, so the odds of success would be increased. Also, this raises the question of whether or not the clones have souls. If people believe they do not, then clones would be discriminated against and most likely be used for slave labor. Right now scientists could be busy cloning a human even as I type this. If the clone comes out with many disabilities and such then human cloning will be banned for the next 150 years. If it is successful than be prepared for many, many groups to start lobbying against Congress to allow it. Many people want to bring back a loved family member of friend, and those are the main group people lobbying for legalizing cloning of humans. Should a perfect human clone be made their numbers shall greatly increase (though it is my personal belief that human clones shall not have similar personalities of the people they were cloned from). As for cloning human organs for transplants I'm not sure where I stand on that.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:32 PM   #4
Darth Tater

Shan, if you actually bothered to look you'd find there's already at least one other topic on cloning floating around GM. Look before you post
Old 08-01-2001, 10:14 PM   #5
noldo

Cloning

Tater, why do you always have to be such a *censored* when it comes to starting new topics on a subject already discussed... Like there's no room for 2 or 3 topics on the same subject or something...

Cloning is totally evil and wrong. It violates and unbalances nature's equillibrium...
Old 08-01-2001, 10:51 PM   #6
Xivigg

most likely the first human clone is already moving in our society

and they are improving their production methods

even if they outlaw cloning then someone somewere will do it agains't the law and people will buy this product.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:20 AM   #7
anduin

Actually there isn't any room for 2-3 topics on one subject. However, I do not recall any subject on cloning here previously.

I think cloning is wrong for many of the reasons already stated. And for the reason that I don't trust people to do "good" with something that has so many potential purposes. As for cloning human organs, I think that that has a lot of potential. The amount of available organs at any given time is far below that of the demand.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:44 AM   #8
gdl96

I never got around to starting a thread on this, but since we're on the subject, what about stem cell research? I think taking some embryos which are gonna be thrown out anyway and using them for science isn't bad. Stem cell research will possibly cure many diseases and save many lives. I think only good can come out of it. I think the people saying that we shouldn't use these embryos are selfish because they will in return save so many lives.

Hmm...if you say clones don't have souls...maybe we can clone embryos and kill the clones for stem cell research. Or does that not make any sense?
Old 08-02-2001, 03:01 AM   #9
Shanamir Duntak

WebWiz I tend to believe that clones would have a complete, yet different soul from the person that they come from. Just think of identical twins! Two beings having exactly the same genetic code. Seems to me that these are natural clones.

Xiv I don't think that anywhere in the world, they succeed in cloning a human being. But they sure will go on with the trying. Remember, US law forbids human cloning. Internationals laws do not. They're is always a country that will do anything for money.... including allowing human cloning. Just think of the Napster Case... It's now "illegual" in the States... but look at his sucessors... perfectly legal in many other countries.

All

In my opinion, cloning a missed one is BAD... it will never replace them. The clone will live his own experiences, thus making him a different being. Just ask a sociolog of how much the society we live in makes what we are.

IMHO, The cloning for compatibility of donors and for organs is acceptable. Just think... no more need to give blood anymore, since you just have to clone your own. No need to take organs of the deads, since you could clone yours. Life would be better and many incapaciting diseases could be cured for good.

Now... Tater, if you have something to tell, say it now. You've been doing this to me quite a few times lately. Sorry but I seem to be the only one at whom you aim your "censorship". I'm growing tired of it now. I don't know if it as something to do with the fact we were joking you in french, but if it as, tell it now and get of my back.
I don't see you telling that there's already such a thread in the LOTR movies forum with the "Happy Meal Frodo-hobbit with Glow-in-the-Dark Sting?" thread. Sorry but I frankly recall having such a thread back last year. Why don't you tell 'em? And there are many more exemples. If you want, I can find some more. Do you really think I'll take a look at the 25 thread X 20 pages = 500 threads only in General Message before starting a new one? You must be kidding.

Si c'est ce que tu veux, voici des excuses officielles: "Je m'escuse de t'avoir un peu agacé".
Mais maintenant je vais en profiter pour dire que ton sens de l'humour est presque nul.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:29 PM   #10
Gilthalion

Hmmmmm.

I was thinking of writing a story in which a billionaire funds a facility on an island nation, and eventually creates a lunar colony with a lot of clones of himself married to women from all over the world.

He thinks a lot of himself, to be sure! So much so, in fact, that he plans to repopulate the planet after the coming apocalypse in this very fashion.

Personally, I think cloning people would be "wrong" though there is nothing wrong with cloning organs or stem cells (which can also be found in adult brains and in umbilical cords, avoiding the ethical/moral dilemma of embryo based research).
Old 08-02-2001, 03:33 PM   #11
Darth Tater

Sorry if it seems that way Shan, it's just that you've started a lot of (in some of our opinions) unnecessary topics lately. Maybe I'm getting overheated about it, it's just that the rapid loss of topics in this specific forum means that conserving space here is a worthwhile effort. Sorry if it seems unfair, but hey just realize i'm lashing out at JL too
Old 08-02-2001, 07:22 PM   #12
Johnny Lurker

Darth Tater...

Man, you know, I was just about to point out that same thing to him. *giggles*
Old 08-02-2001, 08:32 PM   #13
anduin

lol

Giggles?
Giggles!!
Do you really giggle?

:lol:
Old 08-02-2001, 10:08 PM   #14
Shanamir Duntak

Re: lol

He can actually giggle?

Np Tater...

How will you call the story Gil? Make it end like the Narciss legend. Killed by his unlimited love for himself. You should call the guy Sicrann
Old 08-03-2001, 12:33 AM   #15
Darth Tater

*points at JL and starts chanting*

"JL's a girl, JL's a girl!"
Old 08-03-2001, 12:37 AM   #16
Shanamir Duntak

It's just a clone... I'm pretty sure that JL can't giggle... so he's gotta be a not-so-well-cloned clone.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:02 AM   #17
anduin

Hmmm...interesting idea you have there.
Old 08-05-2001, 03:04 PM   #18
Gilthalion

A twenty-first century shock announcement is set to be made at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington this week: Up to 200 women will soon be impregnated with cloned embryos in the world's first attempt to produce a human clone!
--Drudge Report