Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Survey For Canadians

this is for my CDN/US Relations class. if some of y'all from the "true north, strong and free" would fill this out, that would be super!

Survey of Canadian Attitudes Towards the United States
1. What is your citizenship?
2. Who is Canada's principle trading parter?
3. When you thing of the United States, what word comes to your mind?
4. It has been said that "Canadian's are just Americans who live north of the 49th parallel."
Agree_______
Disagree_______
5. Do you regard Americans as:
Friendly________
Snobbish________
Aloof__________
Other ___________
6. Would you characterize Canada-U.S. relations as:
Friendly________
Tense _______
Irritating_________
Other _________
7. What is NAFTA?
8. Does the United States contribute to the defense of Canada?
Yes_______
How? (be as specific as you can_ _____________________________

No _________
Should they? ___________
How?______________________________________________ _______

9. Who is the United States' current President?
10. What is the most important reason for why you would visit United States?
11. What is the most significant issue that you think may affect Canada-U.S. relations?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

1. What is your citizenship? Um...I'm a Candian?
2. Who is Canada's principle trading parter? The US? I dunno...
3. When you thing of the United States, what word comes to your mind? "Proud".
4. It has been said that "Canadian's are just Americans who live north of the 49th parallel."
Disagree
Other: nice enough, but too proud sometimes
Friendly
7. What is NAFTA? Um...Norman's Apples Forget Their Attributes?
No
Should they? I guess, but only when we really need them.
How? Er...fly in with those big bombs that they used to kill the Canadian soldiers.

9. Who is the United States' current President? George W. Bush
10. What is the most important reason for why you would visit United States? I really don't know.
11. What is the most significant issue that you think may affect Canada-U.S. relations? The US could stop making fun of us in their TV shows, and the Canadians could be less anti-American (yes, a lot of us are).
Old 10-15-2003, 06:20 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Canadian

Principal trading partner, and it's very clearly the U.S. Now buy our bloody beef!

Superpower

Disagree (I'm actually in the middle ground here, but there were only two choices)

Other. I don't think it's fair to regard the people of any one nation as "insert adjective here".

Other. That is, sinusoidal. It depends who's in office in either country.

7. What is NAFTA?
An underappreciated Good Thing, although free trade on a global level (as opposed to continental zones and blocs) would be far preferable.

Yes and no. Theoretically, in their role as the only practical military guarantor of global security, of course. Nobody would touch Canada for the same reason they wouldn't touch a lot of countries out there. It's because the U.S. makes up the brunt of the contribution to NATO and the UN (and in some aspects, has almost unilateral sway over the actions of one or the other). At the same time, there is no direct contribution here - the closest we get to that is NORAD, which is also in part a Canadian contribution to the United States.

George W. Bush

As a tourist, it would be for their history, particularly on the East Coast. Although business is not a factor for me personally, I must mention it as a pretty huge one. There's also the business with lining up for Star Wars Episode III in California for a month or two once 2005 rolls around.

11. What is the most significant issue that you think may affect Canada-U.S. relations?
The U.S.' relationship to the international community in terms of multilateral vs. unilateral action, and how Canada responds to that. I would say that both the Bush and Chretien governments behaved foolishly during the Iraq question last spring. Also, there is a tremendous amount of irrational, incensed hatred for Americans among some Canadians I know, for stupid and misunderstood reasons related to this - and perhaps vice versa. Second to this, the big issue would be Alberta beef.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by durin's bane
and the Canadians could be less anti-American (yes, a lot of us are).
Well at least there is some admitting there.

And Crickhollow - "the strong and free" is the United States you're still under the British Crown - so how truly free are you? Sorry - just couldn't resist - you can continue on with your little Canadian survey.

Just kidding

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-15-2003 at 06:26 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The British Crown has no more power here than it does in its own country, where Parliament makes all the decisions. The Governor General is theoretically a final check/balance on the Prime Minister, but considering the the PM is involved in the GG's appointment, this doesn't amount to much.

As for anti-Americanism here - well, I've met some people up here who hate you guys. They just plain hate you. In many ways, it's stupid, and a lot of this is often based on a mistaken or misrepresented information. But conversely, this also tends to bring to light some valid next-door-neighbour criticisms of the U.S. that tend to get lost amidst the patriotic fervour south of the border.

A curious incident was how last March, the (ultra-conservative) Premier of Alberta tried to pass a declaration that the people of the province supported the war on Iraq - while the (ultra-liberal) University of Alberta's Students' Union tried to pass a declaration stating that the student body opposed the war entirely. Both of them were, of course, completely wrong (and silly). There is no consensus here. But there is extremism of belief.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Re: Survey For Canadians

Canadian
the States
Armed
Disagree
Sometimes Arrogant
OK, Could be better
7. What is NAFTA?
Norht American Free Trade Agreement
Yes, they use there armed forces to keep both lands here safe
Geoarge Bush jr.
Visit Relatives
Stereotypes

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
Bridgette
Enting

-Canadian
-United States
-Umm... neighbor?
-Disagree
-Friendly (most of theme anyhow)
-Friendly
7. What is NAFTA?
-Well, NAFTA means the 'North American Free Trade Agreement' if thats what your asking
-Yes
How? (be as specific as you can) By uhh.... Well, no ones going to come onto Canada because it will affect America (I think) and we have a big undeffended border between us so..... yah.
-George W. Bush
-Well, probably just as a tourist.
-Trade?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:15 PM   #8
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

1. What is your citizenship? Canadian..or both...I guess..
2. Who is Canada's principle trading parter? The US?
3. When you thing of the United States, what word comes to your mind? pompous
4. It has been said that "Canadian's are just Americans who live north of the 49th parallel." very much disagree
5. Do you regard Americans as: Friendly and snobbish
eh, friendly....kinda....kinda not
7. What is NAFTA? North....er...american free..trade...something...
I dont think so, and I hope not
9. Who is the United States' current President? Dubya
10. What is the most important reason for why you would visit United States? I live here right now, other than that
11. What is the most significant issue that you think may affect Canada-U.S. relations? I kinda agree with durin's bane.....im trying my hardest!
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
The British Crown has no more power here than it does in its own country, where Parliament makes all the decisions. The Governor General is theoretically a final check/balance on the Prime Minister, but considering the the PM is involved in the GG's appointment, this doesn't amount to much.
I am aware of the role of the crown in BOTH countries.
Quote:

As for anti-Americanism here - well, I've met some people up here who hate you guys. They just plain hate you. In many ways, it's stupid, and a lot of this is often based on a mistaken or misrepresented information. But conversely, this also tends to bring to light some valid next-door-neighbour criticisms of the U.S. that tend to get lost amidst the patriotic fervour south of the border.
I don't see anything wrong with our patriotism. YOu have Canadian pride - we have American pride. It's their problem if they can't accept it. As for the criticism - mostly it's because of ignorance or because they have a difference of opinion in our policies. Just because a country disagrees with the United States - doesn't mean the United States should do what they want. Some people seem to forget that. [EDIT] Right now Canada is liberalizing their drug laws (marijuana) and the US isn't happy. Does that mean you won't do what you want because we disagree with you?
Quote:

A curious incident was how last March, the (ultra-conservative) Premier of Alberta tried to pass a declaration that the people of the province supported the war on Iraq - while the (ultra-liberal) University of Alberta's Students' Union tried to pass a declaration stating that the student body opposed the war entirely. Both of them were, of course, completely wrong (and silly). There is no consensus here. But there is extremism of belief.
Simalar things happened here. During the Iraq War many towns and colleges declared they were against the war. However - one town by me, Montgomery, refused to take issue stating that the job of the town council was to work on town issues, not waste time debating the merits of a war.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-15-2003 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with our patriotism. YOu have Canadian pride - we have American pride. It's their problem if they can't accept it. As for the criticism - mostly it's because of ignorance or because they have a difference of opinion in our policies. Just because a country disagrees with the United States - doesn't mean the United States should do what they want. Some people seem to forget that. [EDIT] Right now Canada is liberalizing their drug laws (marijuana) and the US isn't happy. Does that mean you won't do what you want because we disagree with you?
I'm not saying patriotism is a bad thing. I encourage it, though I know some people who opposed nationalism in all its forms (in their own country or otherwise). But there's a difference between patriotism as a concept (good thing) and the consequences of how a few bad apples in your community act based on patriotism (like those idiots dumping French wine on the streets).

I don't think anybody here is under the illusion that their criticisms of U.S. policies are going to get you guys to actually change anything. I was more referring to it in terms of awareness; by not living in your country, your policies are more transparent in a way. And our policies are probably more transparent to you guys too, because you're not affected by the Canadian pride factor. Also, you'd be amazed at how often "don't strain relations with the U.S." is cited as the major (and in my opinion, the most important) argument of the anti-marijuana camp.

Quote:
Simalar things happened here. During the Iraq War many towns and colleges declared they were against the war. However - one town by me, Montgomery, refused to take issue stating that the job of the town council was to work on town issues, not waste time debating the merits of a war.
Three cheers for Montgomery's town council for being sensible.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:04 AM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
...the consequences of how a few bad apples in your community act based on patriotism (like those idiots dumping French wine on the streets).
I don't see anything wrong with the dumping of French wine - they bought the wine they can dump it if they want. I just wouldn't buy French products and it will be a while before I go to France - although I am currently taking French. Anyway, the dumping of french wine is nothing like the repeated McDonalds being ransacked in France or the demonstrations that went on against Euro Disneyland. Many people do that against the US - and no one says it's stupid - when Americans turn the tables and give the rest of the world it's own medicine - it's wrong.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-16-2003, 12:13 AM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Many people do that against the US - and no one says it's stupid - when Americans turn the tables and give the rest of the world it's own medicine - it's wrong.
Actually, I'd say that their actions over there (especially the desecration of war graves, which to me is worse than flag-burning) is even stupider, for all the same foundational reasons. I don't think that justifies citizens of the U.S. (or any other country for that matter) doing the same.

One thing I think we can agree on, though, is a lot of people pick on you guys simply because you're big and strong.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:30 AM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Actually, I'd say that their actions over there (especially the desecration of war graves, which to me is worse than flag-burning) is even stupider, for all the same foundational reasons. I don't think that justifies citizens of the U.S. (or any other country for that matter) doing the same.
You forgot the red paint they poured on the replica Statue of Liberty that they have there.

By the way - i don't care if people burn our flag. I for one am against a Constitutional amendment to protect the flag from burning. I think it is free speech. That does not mean however that I will agree with the flag burners opinions. I just support their right to burn the flag.
Quote:

One thing I think we can agree on, though, is a lot of people pick on you guys simply because you're big and strong.
I do agree. I think a lot of people would feel a lot different if the US just picked up and left the world stage and let the world fend for itself. Right now - we are the mightiest nation in the world - but we're no WWII Germany or Hitler regime like many people have equated us to (going by the many anti-american banners in the demonstrations).

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-16-2003 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:40 AM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
although I am currently taking French.
TRAITOR!!!!!

Take a real language, by the way I've been taking Italian the past 7 weeks
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:01 AM   #15
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

that's good. JD has too.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:13 AM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
TRAITOR!!!!!

Take a real language, by the way I've been taking Italian the past 7 weeks
Oh - I'm taking Italian at the same time as French. Tuesday is my French class - Wednesday is my Italian.

I've studied in school - Spanish and French; on my own - Italian, French, Latin, Russian (and I just started looking at Swedish - but haven't done anything with that yet, not a lot of Swedish books ). Now I am taking a night class for French and Italian.

Sorry Crickhollow - I didn't mean to hijack the thread on you.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-16-2003 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:20 AM   #17
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I'll just ditto Iron Parrots, except for

#10- Reason to visit: music.

oh and

#3:When you think of the United States, what word comes to your mind; as a free association-type answer: freedom

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:33 AM   #18
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

For #4 : " Canadians are just Americans who live north of the 49th parallel

Quote:
"Still, there is no doubting the decline of conventional religious belief and practice in Canada. Three in five Canadians reported that they attended church regularly in the mid 1950s; now that's just one in five. In this, Canadian attitudes have been diverging from American views for the past half century, as I document in my new book Fire and Ice: The United States, Canada and the Myth of Converging Values. American religiosity has remained constant (and high) at least since the mid-1930s, when pioneering U.S. pollster George Gallup first began interviewing random samples of his fellow citizens on the subject. About 45 per cent of Americans reported attending a religious service each week in the mid-1930s and that figure has not altered significantly to this day. A Pew/Environics research poll conducted in 2002 found that religion is important to 59 per cent of Americans but only 30 per cent of Canadians.

More significantly, the nature of the religiosity of Canadians and Americans has diverged over the decades. Environics research finds about 33 per cent of Americans (representing 43 per cent of Christians) to be fundamentalist in orientation, that is, believing in the literal interpretation of the Bible. The figure in Canada is only 14 per cent (representing 20 per cent of Christians in the country). The evolution of Canadian Christianity to a more liberal, open, inclusive and less judgmental spiritual quest contrasts with the more conservative, closed, and dogmatic orientation south of the border. Canada's values orientation has tended toward "both/and" while in the United States, it's more "either/or."

<snip>
These divergent religious and moral attitudes are reflected in the changing orientation to other traditional institutions and authorities, including that most familiar of authority figures -- dad.

Canadians have brought their questioning of traditional authority right into the home and are far less likely than Americans to agree with the statement: "The father of the family must be master in his own home." A 1992 Environics poll found that 26 per cent of Canadians believed that "father must be master" (down from 42 per cent in 1983). That same year, 42 per cent of Americans told us dad should be on top.

Since then, the gap has widened: down to 18 per cent in Canada in 2000, and up to 49 per cent in the U.S. in that year. As Canadians become ever less deferential to patriarchal authority, Americans are becoming more and more willing to see if dad says it's okay to watch The Simpsons.

Quebeckers are the North Americans least likely to think that father should be master (15 per cent). In more conservative Alberta, the figure is 21 per cent, the highest in Canada. In the United States, the proportion supporting traditional patriarchy ranges from a low of 29 per cent in liberal New England, to a high of 71 per cent in the Deep South. Religiosity and deference to patriarchal authority reinforce each other.
(It's from the Globe and Mail, August 15th "The Word, Unheeded" but I missed saving the URL)

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 10-16-2003, 03:54 AM   #19
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

BTW, IronParrot, I haven't been following the Alberta/Mad Cow issue too closely (i.e. at all) .

What's the beef?

Old 10-18-2003, 09:55 PM   #20
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

1. Citizenship - Canadian!
2. United States of America of course.
3. Iggnorant
4. Disagree, if Canadians were just Americans north of the 49th parallel we wouldn't be reconognized all around the world for our strengths and such!
5. Other, self centered.
6. Other, friendly at times other times we can't see eye to eye, stupid prime minister someone kill the bastard!
7. NAFTA? hmm North American Free Trade Agreement
8. Yes, because we have no army, no offense to us but we don't and if someone bombs canada, The usa marches in and blows them to smithereens!
9. i think it's Somebody Bush?
10. Reason i would visit the USA hmm vacation, honeymoon when i get married, to travel, and maybe to go to a school, but i need a citizenship there then don't i?
11. OUR PRIME MINISTER, the stupid idiot, get him out of our parlament and we'll be fine!
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote