Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Tom Bombadil who else?

who else hates theoden in the movie .i mean his character is good but sometimes i get annoyed at him in the movie.i mean the way he talks to aragorn and gimli i mean he is a jerk
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 10-03-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I somewhat agree, but then again--he is the king of Rohan. I'd probably be the same way if a few people straggled in out of nowhere spreading tales of doom and gloom and telling me how to run my affairs. I'm personally surprised he's not more of an ***hole (like Denethor).
Old 10-03-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Gollum but still

i mean gimli is a cool guy theres no reason to mean to him
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 10-03-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Theoden have known Aragorn anyway since he helped Rohan and Gondor under the alias of Thorongil for his early years? Now I know in Gondor he did this service under Ecthelion, Denethor's father. Was Theoden ruling at the time of this or was it Thengel his father?

Either way my point is this, if Theoden was ruling then, then his anger towards Aragorn is weird since many years before he had served him...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 10-04-2003, 08:50 AM   #5
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Personally, I like Theoden and the way he is played. I think he does a good job of holding his own with Aragorn, who has a tendency to steal scenes. Given the circumstances in the movie scenes, I think he acted correctly, as a king would - the stress of that situation would have been huge.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:56 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I think this was best described in an interview I saw, probably on the DVD or something:

I don't think Théoden is necessarily being mean to Aragorn. It's just that Aragorn has to learn a lot of the wisdom he needs to fulfill the role of a king, so he picks it up from Théoden. Between the two, you see a sort of exchange of ideas - Aragorn teaches Théoden how to be a warrior, and Théoden teaches Aragorn how to be a king.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 10-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Just coming from a "movie" perspective...I Loved Theoden! I thought he was goldeny blond warm, delicious, wonderfully human, desirable, and sexy. Heh! I really don't have a lot of desire to go beyond that thought! "Oh Theoden! Come have a long, slow, glass of red wine with me!"
Old 10-06-2003, 08:59 AM   #8
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I don't think Théoden is necessarily being mean to Aragorn. It's just that Aragorn has to learn a lot of the wisdom he needs to fulfill the role of a king, so he picks it up from Théoden. Between the two, you see a sort of exchange of ideas - Aragorn teaches Théoden how to be a warrior, and Théoden teaches Aragorn how to be a king.
That's an interesting view; I hadn't thought of that before. Makes a lot of sense.

I thought Bernard Hill did a great job as Theoden, and that the films fleshed out his character from the books. It would've been too easy to render his character as flat and all goody-goody; the film made his redemption more believable.

And anyway, if someone came into my throne room, punched the lights out of everyone nearby, put his feet up on my table and variously belched, farted and sprayed spit all over my nice furnishings, I might be a bit gruff with them.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:39 AM   #9
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

well i like Theoden and all, but he was really annoying in the movie. i dunno, just something about the way he acted all the time really bugged me. and he seemed a little stuck up to me.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
Old 10-06-2003, 11:47 AM   #10
b.banner
Elf Lord

Gandalf hmm???

most of you guys have a point about him being king of rohan but he still is not very wise for a king. but he is not so bad as denethor.

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 10-06-2003, 01:45 PM   #11
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I think there is a parallel between the pity Gandalf advises Frodo to feel for Gollum and the act of sparing Wormtongue's life. It's that show-don't-tell thing again. In a book it's all very well to say things like "Why didn't he just slit his throat?" and reply "He has a part to play, yet." But on film you have to show Theoden raising his sword to slay Wormtongue and Aragorn physically stopping him. However, the resulting dynamic between the characters requires two things. Aragorn has to accept Theoden glaring at him and kneel to accept his forgiveness for staying his hand. Then later, Theoden has to verbally chastise Aragorn to remind him who is King.

And Wormtongue does have a part to play yet, as surely as does Gollum, so I think PJ is justified in highlighting the parallelism.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

" Aragorn teaches Théoden how to be a warrior, and Théoden teaches Aragorn how to be a king."
I just hope PJ doesn't mess up one of the best bits in the book (Theoden's speech to the troops and his charge at the Pelennor Fields). That just has to be read aloud like poetry, even if you're by yourself.

Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

"With that he seized a great horn from Guthlaf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder.............
Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up upon Snowmane like a god of old, even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hooves of wrath rode over them."
Old 10-09-2003, 11:31 PM   #13
smaug_the_magnificent
Hobbit

Perhaps instead it should read "Aragorn *reminds* Theoden how to be a warrior *again*"

Let's not forget that Theoden was a proud & deft soldier erstwhile, in the great tradition of his forbears of Rohan..

In that sense Aragorn was the fulcrum, the fillip of Theoden's fighting spirit and his resistance of despair. Gandalf initiated it of course, but the Wizard's departure thereafter worked to pervade grave doubts within the King once again, to further emphasise the weakness of men's hearts, men's resolve. In the movie at least, only Isildur's heir could smash the cycle of Theoden's weakness completely.. Gandalf's role was not to persuade (especially through deeds) but to counsel, while Aragorn had the gift of chivalry & it was his time to wield this virtue in all its glory

The augmentation of Aragorn's significance is portrayed further, in the scene Elfhelm mentions about the pity shown towards Wormtounge.. Of course in the books Theoden is far more Kingly at this juncture, offering an olive branch to Wormtounge, in spite of his past wrongs.. To me this pity is more noble and more palatable, because after all it his Theoden himself who has lost most at the hands of Wormtounge's subterfuge.. The pity of Theoden towards Grima carries far more profundity because of the level of forgiveness he has to render.. There's a history between the two characters (some would say even love) that makes the final offering of Theoden more *real* - more touching..

In the movie, the comparable scene is naturally more dramatic and therefore perhaps more cinematically satisfactory (I don't know?).. And further more, it is obvious (perhaps too obvious!) what PJ is trying to expound through Aragorn's role at this moment. He is building up *THE* King, aiming to display all of the traits a good King should have as he ascends into his predestined role. The only downside to this kind of (film) philosophy is that it often comes at the expense of other characters! Theoden being a good case in point..
One of those (Kingly) virtues is of course pity and here it is displayed in a very palpable way. It is believable because it is a small window on a good cinematic sequence with all the attributes that go to make up something that *works* on screen - but underneath the surface it doesn't have the kind of emotional reach (& plausibility) that the book does in this instance. There's little cogency for Theoden's capricious and rather violent attack against Grimia, and there's equally less corollary behind Aragorn's subsequent rush to Grima's aid.. Of course there can be arguments made for the aforesaid happening, but that is not the point.. The arguments against them happening are far greater

Still, if consistency means anything than no doubt the way the scene is played out has its merits.. The role of film-Aragorn has continued to grow throughout the trilogy, to the point where we can now anecdotally suggest he is the central character of PJ's films.. The saving of Grima's hide thanks exclusively to the good graces of Aragorn is a big *tick* for the character and helps to enamour audiences to Viggo & his journey even more..

I'm a great fan of the strong & rich vein of pity and forgiveness that runs through Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and at the end of the day I am happy if those virtues in some form or another are able to pervade the film version as well.. Whilst this scene is an example of how the book deals with this fundamental notion in an infinitely more erudite manner, the instant effect & the essential truism that in his own way PJ is trying to relay similar themes for similar scenes, means that these differences are on the whole admissible (IMHO)

Last edited by smaug_the_magnificent : 10-09-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #14
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

In response to "Dunedain's" question from a week ago - it was Thengel, father of Theoden, whom Aragorn served - just prior to serving Ecthelion in Gondor. We are told that he served in both places "in disguise" - and so 40 years later, may not have been recognized at all as the same man who helped in earlier days - even in the (likely) event that he and Theoden had met. We know that Aragorn used the name Thorongil while in Ecthelion's service - and it seems reasonable to think he used that same identity in Rohan - as in Gondor, he was known to have come from Rohan, but that he was not one of the Rohirrim. (Who WAS that masked man? I dunno... but he left this here silver bullet... uh, arrowhead!)

And... in general, I LIKE the movies, and their depictions, but when I was watching the preview for ROTK, it just DROVE ME UP THE WALL, that the film-makers speaking kept calling the Rohirrim, "The Rohans"!!!

At least it was just in the narrative - haven't heard that make it into the movies yet.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:04 PM   #15
smaug_the_magnificent
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
"
I just hope PJ doesn't mess up one of the best bits in the book (Theoden's speech to the troops and his charge at the Pelennor Fields). That just has to be read aloud like poetry, even if you're by yourself.

Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Unfortunately I think that's unlikey to be done verbatim.. At least the "Fell deeds awake!" line has already be used, in The Two Towers, in the scene at Helm's Deep.

However, in The Return of the King teaser trailer which was shown on the recent DVD release, there is a line (one would assume said by Theoden) which calls..."Ride, ride now, to a world ending!!" ..There might have been other parts to it that I can't recall at this moment, but it certainly ended in that fashion while the theatre being played out was of the Rohirrim charge.. I can't say for sure if "to a world ending" is in the book (my guess is that it's not) but personally speaking, I think it's a great & epic quote and sets the mood perfectly, perhaps even better than "ride to Gondor!"
Old 10-12-2003, 10:38 PM   #16
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Now I think THAT quote is said by Eomer in the book - when he leads the riders back into the fray - from where Theoden and Eowyn fell (and he thinks they're BOTH dead). I'm going from memory, but check chapter on the Battle of Pelennor Fields. So again - PJ is using a lot of Tolkien quotes (99% of the best lines in the movies!) so we have nothing to fear.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:48 PM   #17
smaug_the_magnificent
Hobbit

In the main, that is spot on.. Someone commented somewhere here recently about how they fear so few quotes & language from the text will be used in the movie, The Return of the King..

To that, firstly I say look at the previous two films for some level or reassurance - sure, there's been some non-Tolkien lines used (which surely must've be foreseen), but generally speaking I think we've been very lucky in this respect as a lot of the original & beautiful prose has found its way on screen.. I don't mind if the lines have been moved around, been placed in different scenes or have been said by different characters - what's important is that people are getting a taste of Tolkien's discourse through the (popular medium of the) movies.. Most of the great lines that could have reasonably been expected to be included on film, have done so..
Old 10-13-2003, 05:33 AM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Must... Bash... Jackson...

Yaahhh...
Old 10-16-2003, 02:50 PM   #19
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Strider Re: who else?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by b.banner
who else hates theoden in the movie .i mean his character is good but sometimes i get annoyed at him in the movie.i mean the way he talks to aragorn and gimli i mean he is a jerk [/QUOTE/]

I beg to differ, he is quite stubborn, but wouldn't you be if you were under so much stress, and having someone[Saruman] try to take over your kingdom?
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say

Last edited by Gamigar : 10-16-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #20
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I thought he was ok in the movie.
Like people have said he must have been stressed and probably a little confused about what was going on and he had just lost his son.

But that's my opinion and everyone else do have good points too.
Closed Thread