Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2003, 11:07 PM   #1
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

help on my story, please.

Hi. I don't really do too much writing, but I got this absolutely FANTASTIC idea for a good horror story. It's a short story, and I have the basic outline thought up, but I don't really know how to make it sond good. Character names, places, opening lines, etc. I don't even have anything written down yet. *taps head* It's all in here. And if I don't get some help, that's probably where it'll stay. Help, please! Any and all advice is more than welcome.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

First point of advice:

Write it all down.

That's the best way to figure out which ideas you want to run with, and which ones you want to ditch. At the same time you will be on a typing train of thought that will bring new ideas to light.

Keep doing more and more outlining. Then take your stab at the first chapter once you've got a "killer" opening (pun intended).

Think of individual lines and quotes you really like. You can always work them in later, if/when appropriate.

Of course, the important thing is to take a stab at it at some point or another. A piece of advice (that I personally sort of ignore, unintentionally) is that the first draft is allowed to be bad, because nobody's going to end up reading it anyway, if you're serious about the writing process. I tend to do way too much outlining...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:08 AM   #3
Entlover
Elven Warrior

yes, start writing.
Here's an outline for you:

Beginning
middle - rising tension
conflict/climax
resolution

Don't get bogged down thinking up names for people, just use Joe and Jim, you can always change them later.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading it.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Thanks guys, that helps. I'll start as soon as have time/inclination. It's so hot here, it's just about impossible to think, much less write.