Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Cultural anthropology and Tolkien

Remember last year when a student in a cultural anthropology class asked us for input on the influence JRR has been in our lives? I thought that an interesting question and answered her. She's finished her paper, and possibly will make it available for viewing later on. But I thought it was interesting that she says:
"Ultimately I tried to show that the moment when people recognize themselves
as "Tolkienites," they enter what some anthropologists refer to as a
performance realm (whether they're actually acting out in role-play or just
believing in a self-identity)."
I don't think most of us acquire a new identity when we become Tolkien fans. I'm still me, even if I call myself Entlover.
Comments?
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:57 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Tom Bombadil

Her statement baffles me! I just entered a realm of secondary, make believe happiness...till I read the Silmarillion!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Well once we start reading Tolkien's works over and over and over enough that we can bring memories back of Elves in the Third Age faster than the memories of our third birthday then we have just identified ourselves with the world of fantasy. I don't think it happens in some grand realization, but gradually. And often people (like myself) enjoy it so much that they feel the need to continually put a character of their creation and with their traits into Arda-ish environments.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I very much agree with her, except that it doesn't happen all at once. And one doesn't have to think: "Oh cool, I'm a Tolkienite!!" People believing that they are Elves, imo, is sort of crazy. Not against it exactly though. Humans have more variety as far as I know.
I agree that some (very far from all) of these people sort of live in a fantasy world. Everything they do is related to Tolkien- this forum, the books, etc. If that's all you do, and you dream youre an elf or w/e, I consider to be in a fantasy world. People do act as Elves. I have nothing against these people.
my own opinion is that the real world is far more fascinating.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 07-17-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I think that because of the depth of Tolkien's work, it is easy to see some things in our world and find parallels to things in Middle Earth. Or perhaps in some situations something might happen that will remind a person of Middle Earth geography or whatever (i.e. walking through a forest and being reminded of how sweet Lothlorien is). It may also be taht people would tend to enjoy the Middle Earth world more, as a place of refuge from their real world. In the most extreme cases, this can get out of hand, but for the most part it is harmless and even fun. Gah, I had a lot more to say but it just slipped out of my mind. Owell, more later I guess.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:42 PM   #6
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
I think that because of the depth of Tolkien's work, it is easy to see some things in our world and find parallels to things in Middle Earth. Or perhaps in some situations something might happen that will remind a person of Middle Earth geography or whatever (i.e. walking through a forest and being reminded of how sweet Lothlorien is). It may also be taht people would tend to enjoy the Middle Earth world more, as a place of refuge from their real world. In the most extreme cases, this can get out of hand, but for the most part it is harmless and even fun. Gah, I had a lot more to say but it just slipped out of my mind. Owell, more later I guess.
I am a slve to these words.^
To find refuge in Middle earth. We love Tolkien's world so much som,e times that it makes us despise our own. (I do at least). Tolkien creates a world that he imagins in so creating an almost ideal world of fantasies for the rerader. A world were people escape to find a place that could only exists in the mind for its perfections.
I cried once when relizing how much Middle earth does not exist. Though to pretend to be an elf or hobbit is the closest we can get top actually being one in its possibilities. Tolkien puts so much detail in his work that you can't help but wish for it to be real.