Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
The Marniner
Sapling

Dispise StarWars comparision

Just something that has been annoying me, When people compare the Lord of the Rings to Star Wars.
The Marniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

in what way though they are both different things. one is about space the other is aboout medieval/fantasy adventure
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

i like star wars. why does it bother you when you compare them? sometimes its just a fun thing for bored people to find ridiculus parallels between movies.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'm curious, as well. Both are epic fantasies. And I'm also curious as to why you put this in the movie forum, rather than the book...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

probably cause the star wars trilogy was a movie series befoer it was a book series. and the star wars books are stupid for the most part. or i could be wrong....

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:10 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Actually, I think the Star Wars Trilogy books were published c. the same time as the Star Wars movies came out.

And the Lord of the Rings was a book before it was a trilogy of movies. Which it isn't even that. Because those movies ain't Lord of the Rings.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Can't say I get too het up about it. I loved the first three Star War movies (far better than the Star Wars books) and I'd be happy watching them several times over. But they are different from and (in my opinion) not a patch on LoTR's (both the books and the movies). I don't take offence at any comparisons, particularly as LoTR's will always come off best
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:42 PM   #8
Ruinel
Banned

hmmm... I just don't see the similarity between the two.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:29 PM   #9
Anglorfin
Alasailon

We call all compare them. But I think he's talking about making comparisons out of ignorance. Or worse yet, thinking that PJ got certain ideas from StarWars ::shudder::

[edit]For the record, I have talked to someone that was talking like that.[/edit]

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Actually, I think the Star Wars Trilogy books were published c. the same time as the Star Wars movies came out.

And the Lord of the Rings was a book before it was a trilogy of movies. Which it isn't even that. Because those movies ain't Lord of the Rings.
*Raises fist into air* CURSE YOU PJ!!!! We hatesss you, we hatesss you, we hatessss you forever!!!

I accidentally started comparing the two the last time I watched Star Wars, character wise. I would try and firgure out who each character would be if they were in the Lord of the Rings. It didn't work. But that's what some people do just for fun, or subconciously, like I did. It doesn't bother me.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
in what way though they are both different things. one is about space the other is aboout medieval/fantasy adventure
i like star wars and the lord of the rings both, it annoys me when people compare which ones better.
-hectorberlioz
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:56 PM   #12
Aeryn Evenstar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
i like star wars and the lord of the rings both, it annoys me when people compare which ones better.
-hectorberlioz
I agree. I love both Star Wars and LOTR. I don't see how anyone could compare them...other than they are two large franchises.
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:19 PM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

they are both great stories and adventures. so i dont have a more favourite
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:02 AM   #14
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem

I remember the first Star Wars movie coming out- the movie definitely came first and the books are just 'novelisations'
like the Star Trek books.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:22 PM   #15
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yes, they were just novelizations just like any movie novelizations you see on the shelves.

No, Star Wars is not just "a story about space." It's an important mytho-fantasy creation of its own.

I, too, am sick of comparisons - but I think the root cause is that Star Wars and LOTR are having their own renaissances at the same time, and they are the two defining fantasy sagas of our culture.

There are indeed thematic similarities and connections that would be worth several intelligent essays. (It is a fact that Star Wars was very, very directly influenced by LOTR.) The comparisons I'm complaining about are people - specifically, people who know nothing about filmmaking as an art form - arguing which one is "better" without adequately supporting their points.

This is almost as stupid as "Star Wars vs. Star Trek", about which there was an entire bustling Usenet newsgroup long before most of you even had Internet access, but not quite.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #16
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

The only thing that they have in common is that only one man has created a whole universe, each in his own very special way. George Lucas in movies and Tolkien in books. There is no need to compare them both worlds are really fabulous.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:27 PM   #17
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well actually, they have a lot more in common than that, particularly the central motif of the corruption of unrestrained power, etc.

I think it's a very healthy exercise to put them beside each other and discuss them intelligently. It's the "versus" discussions that are totally pointless and just plain stupid.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:32 PM   #18
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Well actually, they have a lot more in common than that, particularly the central motif of the corruption of unrestrained power, etc.

I think it's a very healthy exercise to put them beside each other and discuss them intelligently. It's the "versus" discussions that are totally pointless and just plain stupid.
Okay, maybe I've been to hasty.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:50 AM   #19
straight_face
Enting

Illiteracy on this site is horrible, eh?
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:37 PM   #20
legolialis
Hobbit

Strider

Personally i don't realy like star wars(the new one's that is)
legolialis is offline   Reply With Quote