Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Can The Tolkien Estate ALWAYS Hold The Silmarillion Rights?

I mean it's a shame Tolkien hadn't finished the Silmarillion so he could lend the rights like with LOTR

But for how long technically can they hold on to those rights? Can there be a negotiation on them? I AM aware people have tried and failed...but I want them precioussss lol.

Please tell me your thoughts

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:08 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I'm not quite sure how that works, but unless Tolkien himself had made some stipulation in his will to sell the rights, then I would think that his children hold them and it is their choice to sell them or not.

Also, since they didn't seem to keen on the LotRs movie being made, I highly doubt you will see them selling the rights to the Silmarillion in the near future.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:29 AM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair

Also, since they didn't seem to keen on the LotRs movie being made, I highly doubt you will see them selling the rights to the Silmarillion in the near future.

I can only hope you're right.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:31 AM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
I can only hope you're right.
Me too. I do not wish to see a movie of the Silmarillion made. It is just too good of a book for that.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-13-2003, 12:38 AM   #5
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Well I am not up to date with my England copyright laws and all but over in the states it seems that if you have enough money you could buy whatever material you want. Especially if the creator is dead it's usually disastrous to leave everything with the kids. Thank god Christopher Tolkien actually respects what his dad has done.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Doesn't copyright only last for a certain amount of years after the author's death? And then it becomes public domain?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:57 AM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think if someone keeps renewing the copyright it stays under their control, but then again, haven't some songs come under public domain, and the artists are still living? I'm not sure how that works.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
too. I do not wish to see a movie of the Silmarillion made. It is just too good of a book for that.
Same here.
Quote:
Doesn't copyright only last for a certain amount of years after the author's death? And then it becomes public domain?
Shouldn't, in a way, C.T. be considered "co-author"? No Christoffer, no Silmarillion. He put the texts in order and wrote some of the texts there. So Hollywood will have to wait until a certain amount of years after his deatyh before they can get their hands on The Silmarillion. Hopefully, I'm dead before that happens...

Last edited by Falagar : 06-13-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 04:47 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Tolkien didn't "lend" the rights. If I remember correctly, he was a bit tight for cash, and he sold them, though I'm not sure.

Anyway, I agree, the Silmarillion is not a book that can be translated to film. Too much happens, it takes place over, what, five hundred years, and so on, and so forth.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:31 PM   #10
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

But, how about individual episodesin the Sil? You wouldn't like to see a movie made, say, of the story of Beren and Luthien?
Old 06-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
But, how about individual episodesin the Sil? You wouldn't like to see a movie made, say, of the story of Beren and Luthien?
Well, that's probably the only way you would be able to do the Silmarillion justice, but no, I don't want to see any part of it made into a movie.

They could never get Finrod right.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-14-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:

i hope not. that would be a confusing movie and PJ would mess it up if he directed it
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 05:01 AM   #13
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

Under the relevant international treaty, the Berne Convention, copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author plus fifty years. The idea was that the author and his/her immediate family should benefit from the fruits of his/her creativity. (The term has recently been extended in the USA and by European Union directive to life plus seventy years). An exception applies to unpublished works - the time period starts from the year of first publication. So because The Sil was first published posthumously it will have a slightly longer copyright period.

While copyright lasts, you need permission from the owner to make copies etc.

The author is the first owner but the author can sell all or parts of the copyright. I understand that Professor Tolkien sold the film rights to LotR way back. That's why his family had no say in the PJ film.

Eventually the copyright in everything runs out and the work isthen said to be in the "public domain". And then any billy goat can mess with it.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:22 AM   #14
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Thanks, Diamond. I had an idea that was how it worked.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 10:11 AM   #15
Attalus

Quote:
Well, that's probably the only way you would be able to do the Silmarillion justice, but no, I don't want to see any part of it made into a movie.

They could never get Finrod right.
Hmm, somebody tall, noble, and golden-haired? How about Liam Neeson in a Legolas-wig? Luthien I'll have to think on.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:25 AM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Hmm, somebody tall, noble, and golden-haired? How about Liam Neeson in a Legolas-wig? Luthien I'll have to think on.
Hmph! Easy for you to say.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-15-2003, 12:31 PM   #17
Attalus

Quote:
Hmph! Easy for you to say.
Aw, tell us what you really think.