Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2003, 01:42 AM   #1
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

MERP.COM essay: The magical mythical Numenor Tour

In 1964, J.R.R. Tolkien answered one of the Inevitable Questions (readers liked to ask him) for Christopher Bretherton in what became Letter 257. The question is not provided, although it most likely began with something like, "How did you begin ...." But, begin what? In an early paragraph of the letter, Tolkien wrote, "With regard to your question. Not easy to answer, with anything shorter than an autobiography. I began the construction of languages in early boyhood: I am primarily a scientific philologist...."

But what Tolkien went on to explain was how he composed his own legends and mythologies. After outlining what we now know as The Book of Lost Tales and the first two Silmarillion mythologies, he discussed the basic elements of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but suddenly shifted course. "Another ingredient [of these legends], not before mentioned, also came into operation in my need to provide a great function for Strider-Aragorn," he said. "What I might call my Atlantis-haunting. This legend or myth or dim memory of some ancient history has always troubled me. In sleep I had the dreadful dream of the ineluctable Wave, either coming out of the quiet sea, or coming in towering over the green inlands. It still occurs occasionally, though now exorcised by writing about it. It always ends by surrender, and I awake gasping out of deep water. I used to draw it or write bad poems about it. When C.S. Lewis and I tossed up, and he was to write on space-travel and I on time-travel, I began an abortive book of time-travel of which the end was to be the presence of my hero in the drowning of Atlantis. This was to be called <i>Numenor</i>, the Land in the West...."

The time-travel story was called "The Fall of Numenor", and Christopher Tolkien published the earliest version of the tale in The Lost Road and Other Writings, the fifth volume of The History of Middle-earth. The story is rich with a curious blend of names and events from both earlier Tolkienic legends (from The Book of Lost Tales) and the as-yet unrealized Middle-earth mythology of The Lord of the Rings. The name of a great Eldarin king, for example, is given as "Amroth", and he with Elrond and descendants of Earendel (sic) passes inland from Beleriand and storms the citadel of Thu, who had been instrumental and seducing the Numenoreans (Atlanteans) to fall into evil.

Incorporating the Atlantis legend itself into his evolving mythological traditions allowed Tolkien to draw upon the rich Greek literary and mythological traditions which had fascinated him in his youth. Although Tolkien's goal by this period (the mid- to late 1920s) had shifted from creating a mythology for England (that is, a mythological history to explain Old English words and names) to creating a self-contained mythology, he never fully abandoned the idea of incorporating English mythological needs into his work. Those needs included the inexplicable, or the controversial, words of lost or forgotten meaning which intrigued Tolkien.

Read the full essay here
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:02 AM   #2
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Interesting as always, Michael. Nice Beatles ref, btw.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:18 AM   #3
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Great article, MM!

that dream of Tolkien and his relation to how it all began has been one of my favourites points of thooght since i fist read the Notion Club Papers. Your essay has suggested lots of interesting points. i think i'll have to read it several times to diggest it

may i suggest, however, a little fault in it? you haven't mentioned the obvious relation between the words Atlantis and Atalantë, the Quenya name for Numenor: "she that has downfallen". Much of a coincidence, don't you think?
Old 06-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
Anglorfin
Alasailon

The resemblance to the story of Numenor to the story of Atlantis was obvious to me from the start, but its always interesting to see why Tolkien created such a story in the first place. SO was the concept of Numenor a relatively "late" idea for him? As in, did he add it in late in the mythology as compared to what was already written.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote