FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2000, 10:17 AM   #1
Puc conDoin

Middle Earth Role Playing

Does somebody play MERP here???
Old 06-05-2000, 10:52 AM   #2
anduin

Re: Middle Earth Role Playing

I haven't played it. But welcome to the board nonetheless!

Where in the Netherlands are you from? I am going to Amsterdam for my honeymoon June 22.
Old 06-05-2000, 01:47 PM   #3
Ferr

Hello...
My name is Ferr.
First, I would like to congratulate you with this ezboard community, looks nice...
I doubt if there is anyone more fanatic when it comes to Middle Earth Role-playing than me...
I'm a friend of Puc, and the local gamemaster for the Hazerswoude-posse (town's name). I also collect those small figures from Mithril Miniatures. From the looks of things, I shall be visiting your community again...and again...and again...and then some more...
See U...
Old 06-05-2000, 06:41 PM   #4
bmilder

I've played MUDs that have roleplaying in them, but not MERP.
Old 06-07-2000, 09:18 AM   #5
Puc conDoin

As Ferr said already, we are from Hazerswoude. A small town near Leiden. And it is about 40 kilometers from Amsterdam.

What is a MUD exactly?
Old 06-07-2000, 10:53 AM   #6
Fat middle

MUD stands for Multi User Dungeon or Domain. A MUD game is a site that allows many players playing together.
Old 06-07-2000, 01:27 PM   #7
Ferr

Sounds cool, Fat Middle...
Of course Middle Earth is played, purely in your own imagination, and it is the gamemaster's task to help you find your fantasy...dice are used, for the purposes of combat and other stuff...My party is playing for a couple of years now, and it looks like we will be playing all our lives (well, at least untill 80...then we might consider retiring).
Old 06-08-2000, 06:09 PM   #8
Puc conDoin

By that time, maybe half of the party has died...
Old 06-08-2000, 08:14 PM   #9
The One Ring

I've run a couple of Middle Earth-set RPG's using the GURPS (Generic Universal Role-Playing System, made by Steve Jackson Games) rules. It works quite well, actually. I didn't know there was a specific game set only in ME..... what's it like?
Old 06-11-2000, 10:32 AM   #10
Puc conDoin

Within a few time we're going to put some tables from the game online, and the whole spell law...
Old 06-24-2000, 02:02 PM   #11
Finlandril Far Seer

Middle-Earth Roleplaying was released by Iron Crown Enterprises (I wonder where they got that name, eh?) in the early eighties. It was based upon the Rolemaster RPG system designed by S. Coleman Charlton and Peter C. Fenlon. The RPG featured a wide array of supplements that devled deep into Tolkien's published works and notes. A great deal of the material was not what could be considered "official" Middle-Earth material (ie. it was extrapolated from and based upon the feel, flavour and history of Middle-Earth).

All in all, it was a fine roleplaying game and was, indeed, one of the first games I participated in as a roleplayer. Unfortunately, ICE's license to produce "Middle-Earth" roleplaying material has expired and it would seem that Tolkien Enterprises is reevaluating it's entire licensing and marketing strategies pending the release of the Jackson films. I doubt that the MERP game will never be released again, but it will likely take a different form considering that ICE will not have anything to do with it in the future.

Finlandril Far Seer
Old 07-20-2000, 08:28 PM   #12
Michael Martinez

MERP gamers and people curious about the MERP system should look at otherhands.com/ .
Old 07-21-2000, 03:29 AM   #13
anduin

Cool title MM....very appropriate.