Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

PlayStation----> Nintendo

I don't know all the exact details about this matter, but did any other gamers happen to notice how all PlayStation companies are moving to Nintendo? And last year, my friend pointed out to that PS2 and its accessories nearly quadrupled (sp) sales of GameCube and its stuff. Then why is it being abandoned? Nintendo is just screwing it. Does anyone else suspect a little 'foul play?'
Old 06-04-2003, 10:48 AM   #2
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It used to be the other way round. A few years ago, when Nintendo 64 ar PlayStation where new machines, most of the companies abandoned Nintento to make games for Sony's console instead.
It's amazing how succesfully Sony entered the video game market.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

Uh, what are you talking about? As far as I know, there are no Sony companies "moving" to Nintendo. Sony hasn't lost any 2nd parties that I know of, but long time Nintendo 2nd party Rare was sold to Microsoft almost a year ago.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've heard quite the opposite - Rare's gone now, of course, and EA was re-evaluating their deal with Nintendo. Supposedly Nintendo is a pain to negotiate with due to their content regulations on licenses.

However, more and more developers nowadays are releasing games on all three platforms (PS2, GC and X-box), and even old games are being ported over (Splinter Cell comes to mind). The Cube does boast superior graphics performance to the PS2, so this makes good sense. Might as well grab the sales while they're there.

My preferred system is the Cube, of course, and I'm sticking to it until the next generation of consoles comes out. The PS2 is stocked with hundreds of available games, but very few of them are titles that are going to go down as classic. The Cube has a number of great exclusive titles, and I have yet to get all of the ones I want. As for the X-Box, if you think it's worth buying just for Halo then more power to you, but no thanks.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:43 PM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

i wouldnt really know since i have weird parents who never let us get any game system. luckily i convinced them to let me get a gameboy......... although a majority of the games on it are for little kids and/or crappy. only like a handful of good games - getting a lot of snes ports now though - not that i had that system :P

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I have both the Game Cube and the PS2. Unfortunately New Zealand has poor representation of Nintendo. They seem to have given up on us. I'm still waiting for Zelda to come to the stores....
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:59 PM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Have you tried ordering it online?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:15 PM   #8
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
The Cube does boast superior graphics performance . . .
Now if they could only make games that actually put their superior engine to the test instead of wasting time on really poorly cell-shaded, blocky, 2-and-a-half-D games they'd be set.

As to companies pulling out of deals with Sony I've never heard of it. Their marketing is no longer #1 but that's mainly due to the fact that TV time has gone to the specific game companies to advertise games that are on multiple platforms. PS2 still has the most games, and out of all 3 companies I am guessing that they are the best off financially. Sony itself has products all over the technology market, Nintendo just focuses on their game systems, while Microsoft gets a lot of flak about anti-trust and all that.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #9
gdl96
the greg the admin

I heard that Nintendo is trying to make better relations with third parties now. Sometime before E3, they announced some kind of deal with EA about bringing all the sport titles to GC and having some of those games support GC-GBA link setup.

Financially, Nintendo is very well off, even if they don't sell the most consoles or games. This is because Nintendo is very conservative with their money, and they even have several billion in the bank. Microsoft on the other hand loses lots of money on each console they sell, and I'm sure XBox Live is costing them a bundle. (although everytime Nintendo mentions in an interview how they don't want to get into online gaming, it makes buying an XBox so much more tempting because online gaming is so fun. I figure if Nintendo doesn't have some decent online lineup by the time Halo 2 comes out, I'll have to get myself an XBox)
Old 06-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #10
Millane
The Dude

geez i dont really get into this gaming side of things occasionally just play PS2 but a mate brought over his Xbox and it was awesome it even stole my attention away from alcohol at the party and me and a mate just played it all night... he has so so soooooooo many games coz he got a hard drive put into it and he has everything from the old snes and atari games to Enter the Matrix (definately the best game ever) so the Xbox has definately become my fav... but back to this licensing and ownership crap i have no idea so ill go now
Old 06-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #11
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

I'm with Nintendo all the way!!!
Old 06-07-2003, 02:25 PM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Now if they could only make games that actually put their superior engine to the test instead of wasting time on really poorly cell-shaded, blocky, 2-and-a-half-D games they'd be set.
But they do put this to the test. The launch title, Luigi's Mansion, had more going for it in terms of visuals than most new titles do today (on any system). The games that don't put the GameCube graphics engine to the test are precisely those that are direct ports from other systems.

At the same time, I have a sneaking suspicion you were possibly referring to Wind Waker here, and quite frankly, the cel-shaded graphics are possible precisely due to a powerful engine that is basically creating movie-quality animation on the fly. This means that the game will never look obsolete, whereas the polygon-based games of the N64 era look relatively primitive (no pun intended) as 3D still has a while to go before it's up to the level we expect.

Mark my words, XBox is going to bite the dust first. There isn't much going for it other than Halo. PS2's longevity will be assured by its vast popularity and immense repertoire of software. And judging by the last E3, the Cube's future looks very promising.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 01:20 AM   #13
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I know I commented because of my bias against Nintendo. Personally I do not like the direction the Zelda games have taken. Also their controllers leave something to be desired. by making the controller like they did, it is my belief that Nintendo closed off an entire video game genre, fighting games (not counting SSB Melee which is barely a fighting game but still fun). There is absolutely no way a traditional arcade style fighting game could be launched on that system due to the controller layout.

A lot of people I know rave about HALO. I've played 1st person shooters all my life on the computer, and I am so used to the freedom that a mouse and keyboard gives I could never possibly get good at a console FPS. Not to mention that the X-Box controller is like holding a goddamn car tire in your lap.

PS2 controller, now that's something that works. They got it right with regular PlayStation and thank god they didn't change it. Actually I don't know why Nintendo changed the layout of their controllers either. N64's were decent, adn WAAAY better than GC's.

Ah see now all I did was rant about controllers now. I guess I'm just a picky gamer, but I NEED a good controller in order to enjoy a game.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 06-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #14
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Well, hasn't anybody else noticed how many games, originally exlusive PS games, are coming out on GameCube? And then Nintendo is adding in a bunch of exlusive GameCube features. Resident Evil, Gauntlet, Splinter Cell...
They're not all totally abandoning PS2, but still they're going over to Nintendo. I can't stand it! It's going to hurt sales so much!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
You beat me to it.

I never used to have anything against Nintendo.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:50 AM   #15
Anglorfin
Alasailon

For the record, I don't thinnk RE was ever released exclusively on one system. Ever since systems have been made to have their games run on CDs Resident Evil has been on it. Except for maybe Sega Saturn or 3DO. I am pretty sure it started on PlayStation though, it being the only real contender for a CD-using console for many years.

Quote:
I never used to have anything against Nintendo.
Ever since GC came out I've found so many reasons to dislike Nintendo. IMO they are going about things in the wrong direction. And they seriously need a better controller

Old 06-09-2003, 02:58 PM   #16
gdl96
the greg the admin

The GC controller is incredible, and I don't know what all the hating is about. Okay, maybe its not perfect for fighting, but it excels in every other genre. The size is perfect, and it overall feels very comfortable. Is the PS2 controller better? I don't know about that, but both are excellent controllers.

Resident Evil Games have come out on Playstation 1 and 2, Dreamcast, and Gamecube. At the moment, they are exclusive to Gamecube (except RE Online, which is for PS2). This is hardly "all the systems that run on CD's"
Old 06-10-2003, 02:22 AM   #17
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
At the moment, they are exclusive to Gamecube (except RE Online, which is for PS2). This is hardly "all the systems that run on CD's"
What I really should have said was "all the big ones in the market now".

I have no real argument against the new Nintendo controllers except that it is horrible for fighting games and I don't see why they changed it so much in the first place. N64's would have been an excellent controller with a few minor adjustments. I don't really like the feel of their L and R buttons either. It feels like I have to push way too hard to get a response. I've never played an FPS on GC but IMO the yellow joystick is dropped too low, I'd imagine it's hard to control an FPS like that.

[edit]Bombadillo sorry for hijacking your thread[/edit]

Old 06-10-2003, 06:23 PM   #18
gdl96
the greg the admin

Actually, I personally love playing FPS's on Gamecube, as the C stick feels very comfortable during play.

Another great controller inovation by Ninendo is the Wavebird wireless controller. You may think you do not need it, but for an extra $10 or so, it is worth every penny over a traditional controller. Nothing beats playing a game from anywhere in the room, and having the freedom which the Wavebird permits you to have. I am still confused on why there are no equivilents to this on PS2 or XBox (and what I mean is a first party wireless controller, not some flimsy immitation).
Old 06-10-2003, 11:29 PM   #19
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I actually find it easier using the Nintendo controller for FPS. Have no problems playing Metroid Prime.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:29 PM   #20
Anglorfin
Alasailon

My friend just picked up an adapter so he can play Dreamcast with his PS2 controller. If I could ever find one for X-Box or GC I might not suck at every game on those systems.