Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

?

What is so interesting about a history book??
Old 06-01-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

it tells what happened before the lord of the rings books. it gives an insight how history had happened and how one thing leads to another
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I don't really consider the Silmarillion a history book exactly. Yes it's full of "history" (people and events that occured before LotR), but it's full of amazing stories about events of the past. So yeah it's history, but when I'm reading it I'm not thinking of it as a history book or a text book, but as a collection of stories from the First and Second Ages, which it is. I hope that made some sort of sense.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ben
What is so interesting about a history book??
Well, in the case of this particular book, it tells how the world was created and talks in depth about the awakening of Elves and Men. It explains the differences in the two races and talks about the immortality of the Elves and the Gift of Death from Eru (God) to Men. It details the struggle of the Elves in the First Age against the first Dark Lord, Morgoth. It takes you through the War of Wrath, where Morgoth is overthrown, and through the uprising of Sauron and the creation of the Rings of Power, the destruction of Numenor, the reshaping of the world, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. It indeed amplifies the Lord of the Rings. It is a mavelous book.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Ah. Maybe reading it a few hundred more times will make me understand.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:41 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ben
Ah. Maybe reading it a few hundred more times will make me understand.
If you are really interested, you may want to check out the project that is going on in this forum. We are discussing the Silmarillion chapter by chapter.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-02-2003, 12:17 PM   #7
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
If you are really interested, you may want to check out the project that is going on in this forum. We are discussing the Silmarillion chapter by chapter.
Can you send me a link?
Old 06-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #8
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

You don't need a link. Look at the 3 sticky threads on top of the first page in this forum (the Silmarillion Forum). These are the chapter assignments and the thread for the ongoing chapter, which is chapter 8. You'll also find threads for chapter 7 and chapter 6 on the first page of this forum. Look a few pages back and you'll easily find the threads for the previous chapters.

I quite understand if you think the Sil is a hard read, because it is. But it's also very rewarding when you finally 'get' it.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I consider it more of a collection of shortened stories that significantly relate with each other giving the events and history of Middle Earth as well as providing background information for LotR. Unfinished Tales is similar to the Sim as well giving brief accounts of people, places and things in Middle Earth.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:09 PM   #10
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

The writing-more beautiful than LOTR.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:28 AM   #11
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

What's so great about it??? *keels over* EVERYTHING!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
Maedhros
The Tall

From the Book of Lost Tales I: Foreword
Quote:
The Silmarillion is commonly said to be a 'difficult' book, needing explanation and guidance on how to 'approach' it; and in this it is contrasted' to The Lord of the Rings. In Chapter 7 of his book The Road to Middle-earth Professor T. A. Shippey accepts that this is so ('The Silmarillion could never be anything but hard to read', p. 201), and expounds his view of why it should be. A complex discussion is not treated justly when it is extracted, but in his view the reasons are essentially two (p. 185). In the first place, there is in The Silmarillion no 'mediation' of the kind provided by the hobbits (so, in The Hobbit, 'Bilbo acts as the link between modern times and the archaic world of dwarves and dragons').
Quote:
There is, then, and very evidently, a question of literary 'taste' (or literary 'habituation') involved; and also a question of literary 'disappointment' -- the '(mistaken) disappointment in those who wanted a second Lord of the Rings' to which Professor Shippey refers. This has even produced a sense of outrage -- in one case formulated to me in the words 'It's like the Old Testament!': a dire condemnation against which, clearly, there can be no appeal (though this reader cannot have got very far before being overcome by the comparison). Of course, 'The Silmarillion' was intended to move the heart and the imagination, directly, and without peculiar effort or the possession of unusual faculties; but its mode is inherent, and it may be doubted whether any 'approach' to it can greatly aid those who find it unapproachable.
I guess that it's not for everyone. If people find it unapproachable then it's not for you.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:20 AM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

The Sil is more than a 'history' book. The Sil is the background for the LotR stories and The Hobbit.

Interesting, I didn't need any help reading The Sil and I didn't find it a 'difficult read' at all. I found myself drawn into it's very pages and enveloped by it's every word.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:54 AM   #14
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I have never thought of The Silmarillion as just a history book . Although the information inside of the book enriches The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, I would like to believe that The Silmarillion can be enjoyed on its own. To me, each chapter makes an impact and it engages my interest, my imagination, and my curiousity.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 04:46 PM   #15
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

IMHO, the problem arises mainly from the "Ainulindalë," which is not so much difficult as puzzling. For me, once I got into "Quenta Silmarillion" all difficulties vanished.

Last edited by Attalus : 06-08-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #16
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
IMHO, the problem arises mainly from the "Ainulindalë," which is not so much difficult as puzzling. For me, once I got into "Quenta Silmarillion" all difficulties vanished.
I agree with you there. But one of the difficulties I think many new readers encounter, is the seemingly difficult barrier of "religion". This is not what they expected. The freedom of thought they might have expected is thus suddenly severely limited. The "new" world have a lot of built-in prerequisites.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:51 PM   #17
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Its a good book once you get it. The first time I read it it just confused me and I stopped before I finished the first chapter. But now I love it. And getting just a bit off topic, how did you get a custom title The Ben? You only have a hundred something posts

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:08 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
And getting just a bit off topic, how did you get a custom title The Ben? You only have a hundred something posts
His brother is an admin.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #19
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
His brother is an admin.
Good to know that the forums rules are applied the same to all the members.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:30 PM   #20
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hm - I doubt his title is meant as an honour. Pardon me if I'm wrong.