Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
LadyGreenleaf22
Hobbit

Animal Narration?

Has anyone read any books with animals telling the story? What did you think of them? I personally enjoyed some like Watership Down, and recently one called Warriors: Into the Wild...

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused"
LadyGreenleaf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I liked Watership Down, also The Wind in the Willows. Some people have objected to the "Bambification" of animals, (giving animals human feelings, popular in Disney movies) There is a better word I'm sure. I don't mind it, but young children might get confused at first! Oh yes, Charlottes Web!
Old 05-16-2003, 11:21 PM   #3
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I enjoyed reading "Watership Down". It was a little disconcerting at first because they were rabbit views. I also liked "Charlotte's Web" and "The Secret of N.I.M.H". The book "Raptor Red" (about a dinosaur) is a little gritty but I enjoyed it also. I don't see books written from the point of views of animals as being all cutesy and fluffy. I noticed they usually have to do with surviving and dealing with death, at least the books I have mentioned above deal with these issues to some extent.
Oh, another book is "Animal Farm", which is on my list of to-be-read. I think it's about Old MacDonald's Farm going communist.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Yes, those are all great.
Have you read the Redwall sreies? They are very good.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
LadyGreenleaf22
Hobbit

I've read a few of the Redwall series, but not all of them...

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused"
LadyGreenleaf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I really liked stories from an animal's perspective when I was younger, like Beatrix Potter and the Wind in the Willows. Animal Farm is a bit different though
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #7
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I loved Anna Sewell's 'Black Beauty'. It's old and sad, but definitely worth it.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:33 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

William Horwood's Duncton Chronicles. They follow the moles of the English countryside as if they were their own independent civilization struggling to survive, and in the later books they even fight religious wars and everything. It's not first-person, but animal-focused third-person, and certainly my favourite works of animal personification. Highly recommended.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurus Nobilis
I loved Anna Sewell's 'Black Beauty'. It's old and sad, but definitely worth it.
That was my favourite book when I was kid (and horse mad.) I also used to really love this book called "The Otter Twins." It was some obscure book, and there were a whole series of them. I can't find it on amazon.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #10
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Black Beauty is *sniff* beautiful.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:58 PM   #11
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Before I got into any other book series I had read a lot of the Redwall series. I found it entertaining at all times when I was younger. I also remember a book called "Racso and the Rats if Nimh" or something like that. That was my favorite book through all of 3rd and 4th grades.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:25 PM   #12
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

hmmmm.......

*thinks back to long lost childhood*

Tarka the Otter

White Fang

101 Dalmations (and the second book, the name escapes me at the mo')

And I half remember a book about a dog, cat and hamster that have to travel across america to find their owners.......called The Amazing Journey (or something like that).

Quote:
William Horwood's Duncton Chronicles.
I read these in my early twenties.......and yes, they are very good (in fact, I think I'll re-read 'em soon)

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #13
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

And I half remember a book about a dog, cat and hamster that have to travel across america to find their owners.......called The Amazing Journey (or something like that).
I think you're thinking of the Incredible Journey. It has two dogs and a cat who travel a great distance to their owners.

Charlotte's Web is one of my all time favorites.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:57 PM   #14
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Fire Bringer and The Sight are both narrated by animals, and they're both wonderful books! They're by David Clement-Davies, and if you like fantasy, you should definitely read them. They both have somewhat similar plots, and they both have poemy prophecies.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:14 AM   #15
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I liked Watership Down, also The Wind in the Willows. Some people have objected to the "Bambification" of animals, (giving animals human feelings, popular in Disney movies) There is a better word I'm sure. I don't mind it, but young children might get confused at first! Oh yes, Charlottes Web!
I thought it was Anthropomorphism?

Anyway, I have read books where they have chapters that dogs tell.

I enjoyed it, it was always funny.

I also like the brave little toaster!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:18 PM   #16
galadriel
Elven Warrior

If you're going to mention Charlotte's Web, you have to mention Stuart Little... one of my favorite books as a kid.

I never did get through Black Beauty... dunno why.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:17 AM   #17
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I loved Fire Bringer, Watership Down, and some others already mentioned. I liked the Redwall books at first, but in my opinion they all seem to follow the same plot line, and it gets rather boring.

LOVED Black Beauty. Was an all time favorite book around fifth grade. The movie was pretty good too.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote