Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

How do you envision Melkor?

This was just bugging me today. I started to draw a picture of Melkor in science class when I realized I couldn't because I'm not sure how he looks. That got me wondering what he really does look like, when he takes physical form at least. How does everyone else picture him?

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Re: How do you envision Melkor?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
This was just bugging me today. I started to draw a picture of Melkor in science class when I realized I couldn't because I'm not sure how he looks. That got me wondering what he really does look like, when he takes physical form at least. How does everyone else picture him?
oh my goodnes! I have the same problem! I was drawing a picture of him for my illustration class and I couldn/t make his face evil enough so in th eend I ended up putting a mask over his face...it's on my website

here

I think that a picture of him when he was in "fair" form would be really awesome!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

It would be, you should try that! You're art is really beautiful

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Old 05-14-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
It would be, you should try that! You're art is really beautiful
Thank you! I want to but unfortunately it requires alot of time...I want to draw the perfect "fair" Melkor! I have a feeling that he would look extremely beautiful but at the same time have a look of evil about him...how hard is that!?

How do you envision him looking?

do you always think of him as looking evil or fair?
Old 05-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I think that before he lost his ability to change his form, he could look like anything he wanted, except for an evil gleam in his eye.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Yeah probably, but he must have had a favorite form or something, right? I think he must've always looked rather evil but still had a remnant of fairness about him

Old 05-14-2003, 09:18 PM   #7
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Arien, nice art work. I like your Melkor drawing. It is very close to how I envisioned him except he had more armor on. (black, spiky and gothic armor.) The helm is great and I liked the hair as well. His weapon looks lethal too.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:35 PM   #8
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I always pictured him has being somewhat heavyset and very tall, with long garments coming down to his ankles, his feet were in open sandals, and his face was dark and rigid but a little nubbly and plump. Also he had scars on his face from after he fought Fingolfin.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:05 AM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Nazgul

Hee! I sometimes picture him as that evil pool of black tar that killed off Tasha Yar on Star Trek, The next Generation. That was good! (evil )
Old 05-15-2003, 10:44 AM   #10
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Very nice artwork Arien. John Howe really captured my vision of Melkor.

http://www.edoras-art.de/John_Howe/john_howe_1995_e.htm

It's down on the page, but that's the way I have seen Melkor even before I ever saw the painting.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Anglorfin
Alasailon

This is what I always pictured Sauron to look like, especially when he was referrred to as the Necromancer in Mirkwood.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:39 AM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arien, I like your image very much. It's got the spirit of ME evil!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:06 PM   #13
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

thank you to all who think I have nice artwork!
*blushes* I'm flattered!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
Strongbow
Hobbit

I envision Morgoth as being very very tall of course. Black armor with many dark spikes/blades rising from it like flames at some points. His hair should be darkest black and flow back and his eyes should be flaming.
~ Duke Raul
===========
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:31 AM   #15
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Arien, nice art work. I like your Melkor drawing. It is very close to how I envisioned him except he had more armor on. (black, spiky and gothic armor.) The helm is great and I liked the hair as well. His weapon looks lethal too.
Hear, hear. Except I always think of him with Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:21 AM   #16
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I like the way he looks like bad Ainur on steroids. (also his fingernails! ) Draw Tulkas!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-16-2003 at 11:23 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:46 PM   #17
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I like the way he looks like bad Ainur on steroids. (also his fingernails! ) Draw Tulkas!
Thanks! I want to draw all the valar and mair but unfortunaltely it takes forever to finish one drawing...pen and ink is soooo slow!
Old 05-16-2003, 02:31 PM   #18
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Treebeard

Hey! You're a Hoosier! Hi! I'll be taking a studio class at Herron next fall, hope I can try a little Tolkien inspired thing! The Ainur would be inspirational, incorporating their "themes" into their likenesses. I think I'd start with Orome (forests), or maybe Vana (youth, flowers).
Old 05-16-2003, 02:36 PM   #19
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Hey! You're a Hoosier! Hi! I'll be taking a studio class at Herron next fall, hope I can try a little Tolkien inspired thing! The Ainur would be inspirational, incorporating their "themes" into their likenesses. I think I'd start with Orome (forests), or maybe Vana (youth, flowers).

yes Orome and Vana would be cool...but I still think that Malkor would be the coolest if he were depicted as "fair"!
Old 05-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #20
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

After Melkor escaped from Aman, in which time he hid in the irons of hell, I always imagined him as he is shown on the title of The Lays of Beleriand, published by Delrey. Except in some instances of course; for example, when beren and luthien steal the silmaril from him.