Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Middle-earth Online

I don't know if anyone else has been following this game but here is a link to the website.

http://www.lordoftherings.com/meo
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i have heard of that. is that game made by blacklabel?
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #3
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

It's being made by Vivendi Universal, they are also making The Hobbit game and The Treason of Isengard, the follow-up to The Fellowship of the Ring, they've said that you will be able to play Gollum in The Treason of Isengard.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Sounds like a good game. I heard all the blacklabel games suck. like fotr and the hobit
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

LOS ANGELES (May 9, 2003) - Vivendi Universal Games, Inc. (VU Games) announced today that it has entered into a production agreement with Turbine Entertainment Software Corp. to develop "Middle-Earth Online," a massively multiplayer (MMP) game to launch in 2004. The game will be developed as part of VU Games' long-term agreement with Tolkien Enterprises to create interactive entertainment based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic novel "The Lord of the Rings."

The 3D role-playing game (RPG) will immerse players in the Middle-earth world where they will choose their identities from a cast of archetypal Tolkien characters, form kinships, build race-specific dwellings, explore the landscape, craft unique items and weapons, and perform myriad other activities to bring the world-renowned fantasy realm to life.

"We are extremely excited to be working with a world-class developer like Turbine. Their track record and proven expertise in building, launching, and supporting massively multiplayer games is exceptional, making them the right partner for a franchise as beloved and well-known as J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings," said Jim Wilson, EVP Product Development, Vivendi Universal Games. "Together, our goal will be to bring the vision and spirit of the literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien to life in 'Middle-Earth Online.'"

More information about "Middle-Earth Online" can be found at http://www.lordoftherings.com/meo.

About Turbine Entertainment Software Corp.
Turbine Entertainment Software Corp., headquartered in Westwood, Massachusetts, is a pioneer in the design and production of massively multiplayer (MMP) games. Turbine's first MMP game was the award-winning Asheron's Call®. Turbine recently completed work on the G2 Engine as seen in Asheron's Call® 2 this year. This groundbreaking technology and Turbine's commitment to shipping quality games on schedule continues to strengthen Turbine's position at the forefront of MMP gaming.

About Vivendi Universal Games
Headquartered in New York, Vivendi Universal Games (www.vugames.com) is a global leader in multi-platform interactive entertainment. A leading publisher of PC, console and online-based interactive content, Vivendi Universal Games' portfolio of development studios includes Black Label Games, Blizzard Entertainment, Coktel, Fox Interactive, Knowledge Adventure, NDA Productions, Sierra Entertainment and Universal Interactive. Through its Partner Publishing Group, Vivendi Universal Games also co-publishes and/or distributes interactive products for a number of strategic partners, including Crave Entertainment, Interplay, Majesco, Mythic Entertainment and Simon & Schuster, among others.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Blagh. My rant disappeared. I'll shorten it:

I followed the game for quite some time, but I couldn't see anything happening, and it seemed that nothing would for a LONG time (I didn't think it'd be released before '05), so I let it slide. I see that they finally got a page up.

That's a matter of opinion, gimli. Personally, I far preferred the FOTR game to the TTT game. I mean, it had frickin' Bombadil! How much better does it get?

As for my Rant, let me shorten by saying that they seem to have only have the barest races (Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Men (Eru be praised they got that right), and NO subraces (Ngoldor, Sindar, Silvan Elves, Dunedain of the North, Dunedain of Gondor, Woses, Beornings, etc.). Also, I do believe there's bloody mages! As in, "Zap Bang Boom, you're Dead!"

The concept art is...<insert appropriate description, as I can't find one>. Ewww...Icky! Do they really think Tolkien's Elves wore those ridiculous hairdos? And the Dwarf-gal's got no beard! The Hobbit-lass, while not bad, is too "urban" for the rural Shirefolk, I think. And their forums won't let me sign up!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Yeah when the game was first announced Sierra still owned the rights and the game was scrapped twice by them, but since Vivendi bought out Sierra they got Turbine Entertainment to work on the game and it has been one of their main goals to get the game completed. I don't have my hopes set to high, but if it is true to Tolkien then I will probably enjoy it. The cool thing is that the developers have gone back to the old Sierra Forums and have been looking at what the fans have said that they want the game to be like.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:21 PM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem

That's a matter of opinion, gimli. Personally, I far preferred the FOTR game to the TTT game. I mean, it had frickin' Bombadil! How much better does it get?

I agree the bombadil thing was cool but i didnt like the way the characters look and TTT just seemed a smoother playing game fo me. oh well everyone to their own opinion
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-10-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yah, some think it's all about lopping off enough heads to get more points.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:46 PM   #10
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

its not
I AM CANADIAN