Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
Strongbow
Hobbit

Imagery

whgen i write poems and other works i tend to use very abstract imagry focused around darkness, fog, mazes, light, angels, demons, bloodflow (arteries, the heart), and so on... sometimes its hard to pull myself out of that trend and it will linger into two or three poems in a row. : (

has anyone else ever been momentarily stuck on a few "types" of images?
~ Duke Raul
===========
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I overuse descriptions of vitality ( ) bright, vibrant, heady, invigorating....but my favorite is using double letter deals. Vivacious vitality, beckoning brightness, heady herbs, invigorating images...love the sound of those doubles!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-05-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
Strongbow
Hobbit

oh i like how beckoning brightness sounds
~ Duke Raul
===========
Old 05-08-2003, 01:08 PM   #4
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I'm almost always stuck on descriptions of cities and cultures, but never people.

Cities have that certain feel that's hard to replicate in writing. Cultures vary and thus, you have to describe something entirely new to the reader. It's hard for me.

I love describing images of nature, though.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:21 AM   #5
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I wish I was more of a creative writer. Usually what I write is considered too objective. I have very little skill with descriptive adjectives or adverbs.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:57 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yeah, over the past few years, I've become too much of an essayist too. It's hurt my prose a lot.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:09 AM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Darn school assignment writing and not taking any creative writing electives . . . . . .

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 05-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #8
Strongbow
Hobbit

haha i started writing a several page essay on my views about government and the human condition... never did finish it, and my views have changed since then (damned maturity)
~ Duke Raul
===========
Old 05-14-2003, 02:09 AM   #9
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I often get stuck describing people's emotional states, and explaining the actions my characters take. But that's not quite imagery, is it? Hmm.

I find myself utilizing stock images, usually of the more Goth-y, dark sort, far too often.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:39 AM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I often get stuck describing people's emotional states, and explaining the actions my characters take.
It's best to let the behavior of a character speak for itself, in demonstrating what the character is like. Or if the character from who's perspective you're writing is the one you want analyzed, use the person's thoughts to let the reader draw his own conclusions. Writing doesn't have to be definitive, and leaving something for the reader to think about can help draw them along, or enhance mystery.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:57 AM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
It's best to let the behavior of a character speak for itself, in demonstrating what the character is like. Or if the character from who's perspective you're writing is the one you want analyzed, use the person's thoughts to let the reader draw his own conclusions. Writing doesn't have to be definitive, and leaving something for the reader to think about can help draw them along, or enhance mystery.
Thanks

Yeah, I've been working on trying to do that. It just means I have to go back through and re-write a lot of stuff. I've been trying pretty hard not to go off on long descriptions of the emotional state of my main character (usually I only describe what she's feeling and let the actions and words of the others speak for themselves) but I sometimes get carried away. However, I think a lot of why I'm doing that is to justify their actions for my own sake, and in the next draft I'll revise to do more showing and less telling

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-08-2003, 02:31 AM   #12
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
haha i started writing a several page essay on my views about government and the human condition... never did finish it, and my views have changed since then (damned maturity)
I really like writing about that sort of stuff, I enjoy critical writing like that. But as a result my freewriting has suffered greatly. I think my best (and only) piece of freewriting over the past few years was a song I wrote for my band, and I wound up not even writing the whole thing.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:44 AM   #13
Eruviel Greenleaf

Now I'm stuck on bridges and moonlight and ravens and willow trees. Make it go away! I can't stand the sappiness!

I especially love throwing horribly depressing stuff into quite peaceful settings like the moonlit water seen from a bridge...*sigh* I'm hopelessly...Gothic.

And then there's the sea. I'm also addicted to the sea at night. Probably because that's been an image that has been very important in my life--something I see at moments that have been important to me.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #14
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I get stuck on genres (right now, I'm obsessed with Hans Christian Andersen, urban fantasy, and Welsh mythology).

But even stranger is the way I reuse *phrases*. For instance, I keep having the urge to end my scenes or vignettes with the same description of a character walking "out into the moonlit/silent/darkened night/world/whatever". Getting very repetitive, that.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:23 AM   #15
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I've noticed that I frequently use imagery related to nature- trees, streams and mountains are usually present in my writing.

And for some reason I tend to set the mood of a scene with the wind; it can be pleasant, violent, rushed... It also gives a sense of freedom, and I love it.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote