Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

The right to read and the USA Patriot Act

Just saw this article and as an American, I find it chilling.
Evidently, libraries and bookstores are now purging their records to protect the privacy of readers.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Bu...ad030424.html#

The good news, as you'll see towards the end, is that --
Quote: A bill has been introduced in the House of Representatives by Rep. Barry Sanders, I-Vt., last month to exempt libraries and booksellers from the provisions of Section 215 of the Patriot Act. The bill has "about 70 co-sponsors, including a half-dozen Republicans," Sanders' chief of staff, Jeff Weaver said.

Under the bill, called the Freedom to Read Protection Act, bookstore and library records could still be sought by law enforcement, but only with evidence of probable cause. End quote.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Whoa. That is wierd, for sure. I think they should support the bill.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The fact that this issue even exists is probably the best piece of evidence I've seen that the Patriot Act was simply poorly-conceived legislation that was rushed into being without having sorted out the details first.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #4
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I agree, the Freedom to Read Protection Act is an important piece of legislation. However, who defines 'probable cause' and how? Scary stuff.

Here's a link with more information http://bernie.house.gov/documents/re...0306181342.asp

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 04-24-2003 at 02:49 PM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I'd rather repeal the Patriot Act than make a bunch of Freedom to this or that Acts.

Every one of our boys "over there" swore to protect the Constitution. Maybe we should bring them home because this is where their oath is being challenged. I swore to protect it, too, and my discharge doesn't release me from an oath.

p.s. Free Mike!
Old 04-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I agree with IP - it was rushed into after 9/11. There is a lot of stuff in the patriot Act I'm against. It takes too many freedoms away without the protections from abuse by law enforcement to protect innocent people.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
I agree, the Freedom to Read Protection Act is an important piece of legislation. However, who defines 'probable cause' and how? Scary stuff.
Well most likely with "probable cause" it'll be defined by the same definition that is used in order for law enforcement to get a warrant to search a person's house.

New Jersey has already struck down a lot of things that the Federal Government tries to do as unconstituation under the New Jersey Constitution and has issued lawsuits. This isn't just under the Bush Administration either - but also deals with the federal government requiring libraries to have blocking software which was enacted under Clinton. New Jersey does not force libraries to having blocking software on their computers and most libraries don't here.

Anything not specifically declared as being restricted by the US government in the Constitution is left up to the states to decide. I don't want the US Government becoming big brother - and the Patriot Act contains too many things that put the Federal Government on that path. Now finally legislature will go into place to keep it in check a little - or lawsuits will go to the Supreme Court to control it, or if it's really bad - it can be thrown completely out as being unconstitutional. Many times laws have gone through Congress which have later been brought before the Supreme Court and overturned. But in order for the Supreme Court to do anything - lawsuits first have to be issued challenging the Constitutionality of the law.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-24-2003 at 03:27 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote