Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
HP vs LOTR, the soundtracks

I didn't see a thread on this, but if there is one, this one will be closed. I wanted to start a thread on the Harry Potter and LOTR soundtracks and how they compared to each other. I love them both. Harry Potter is easier listening, and LOTR is a little more exciting. Harry Potter is the stuff you might listen to when you want to fall asleep, I think, IMHO. I personally like the King of the Golden Hall (#6) on the LOTR soundtrack. But, I just wanted to get some other people's opinions on the subject.......

Gamgee, Sam Gamgee, Gardener
Old 04-24-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I didn't like the HP soundtrack that much. It's good in the movie, and I like it and all, I just don't like to sit down and listen to just the soundtrack. It doesn't really tell a story, doesn't keep my interest for very long. LOTR is different. I can sit down and listen to just that cd, and it tells a story. I can see the different parts of the movie in my mind. I've listened to that soundtrack for hours at a time before.

This probably doesn't make any sense at all, but oh well.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #3
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
I KNOW!!!!

that's how it is for me too. like, i'll listen to the HP soundtrack when I read the books, but that's about it. But, LOTR I have constantly playin in my room...It never goes off. I just put it on repeat and it plays while i'm at school....i walk into my room...see all the lotr posters and my misc. lotr merchandise and hear the music.. (i'm a freak. i know....i need a life.) But, even though I have HP posters and stuff too, I wouldn't get that same cool feeling like I'm Hogwarts like I do when listen to LOTR and imagine ME....ya know..wow. i need a life. (i talk in circles...get used to it.)
Old 04-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I like the LoTR soundtrack better. More variety, more my kind of music. Evenstar is my favorite. The HP music, when taken from the movie, was uninteresting. Like, if you didn't hear it while watching the specific scene, it wasn't that great. Another thing about the LoTR soundtrack-- it portrayed an emotion you could relate to. Such as in The Bridge of Khazad-dum, you can feel the excitement. The HP music, or so it seemed to me, just didn't go anywhere.
I have not seen the second movie, and I don't own the actual CD's, but that's my opinion. The music from both films is not really music I'd listen to in my free time.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
Ar-Feiniel
Sapling

The LOTR soundtrack is much better. When you listen to the music, you can see the images of the movie in your mind. When I listened to the Harry Potter one, I could not tell where it was.

My favorite song is Lothlorien.
Ar-Feiniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:36 PM   #6
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I love the LOTR soundtracks! They are great!

I havn't heard the Harry Potter one but with the bits that are in the film then i'd say LOTR. Although i quite like the main HP track thing at the beginning but besides that then not really!

LOTR rules!!!!!!!!!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:12 AM   #7
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

Definantly!
the LOTR sound track was ten times better that the HP! i also have the LOTR S-T and they are simply great!

Copy and past the URL and press continue:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=437705
Aragorn_of_the_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

lotr
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:26 PM   #9
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well, I haven't listened to either Harry Potter soundtrack all the way through, but generally I would say that LotR is better. The LotR soundtrack made more of an impression on me as I watched the movie. However, I must say that I love the prelude on the Harry Potter soundtrack and also Fawkes's theme from the second one. I'll have to listen to some more Harry Potter sometime.

Overall, LotR is better though.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:00 PM   #10
Fion
Hobbit

LOTR has a WAY batter soundtrack then HP, John Williams allways sounds the same. Like in Chamber, when Harry molfoy are flying below the stands, the music is just like the soundtrack from SW episode II, when there flying after the bounty hunter in the city.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a massage...

"When evening in the shire was grey / his footsteps on the hill were heard / before the dawn he went away / on journey long without a word."
Fion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:56 PM   #11
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

hmm.....i wonder if i sense a pattern?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:01 AM   #12
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fion
LOTR has a WAY batter soundtrack then HP, John Williams allways sounds the same. Like in Chamber, when Harry molfoy are flying below the stands, the music is just like the soundtrack from SW episode II, when there flying after the bounty hunter in the city.
John Williams does seem to repeat himself every now and then. In the track "Gilderoy Lockhart" (I think that's the one) on the second HP soundtrack, it always reminds me of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when they set the room on fire in the castle. And there's a moment in Episode 1 that reminds me of Indiana Jones too.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 09:47 AM   #13
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Mwahahaha! I love Indiana Jones! Are they making a fourth one or not?

ANYWAY....LOTR!!!!!!!!!!

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #14
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

i love them both but lotr's is way better

i'm one of these people who listens to it when they try to sleep.... i can't sleep without music and my parents were getting sick of hearing korn at midnight.... so i chose lotr's and now i can't sleep without it!!! LOL.... i love track 6 and 8 on TTT soundtrack and track 18 on the fellowship
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:01 PM   #15
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Same here i can't sleep without music!
I love track 8 (Evenstar) and track 11 (The Leave Taking) oh and track 15 (The Hornburg) i love all the tracks but they are my favourites.

I havn't got the Harry Potter Soundtrack but i like the main one u hear when HP is advertised and the Quidditch one.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:08 PM   #16
Elf Girl
Lurker

I like HP, but I didn't think it fit to well with the movie. Outside of the movie, it was great!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 01:07 AM   #17
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

LOTR is so the better soundtrack! I mean, HP's ok, but nowhere near as good as LOTR. I just can't sit down and listen to the Harry Potter one, because I keep wanting to turn on the radio. But LOTR? I mean, you can sing along to half of it! In ELVISH! YaaaaaaY!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:08 AM   #18
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Elf Girl....ur the only person i've ever heard say that. most people think that the HP soundtrack fits better in the movie but, not outside of the movie. good for you.

but.....yeah. i def love TTT soundtrack the best. number 6! o man (the King of the Golden Hall) (or something like that....)
Old 05-25-2003, 09:59 PM   #19
elf queen
Hobbit

LOTR sound track has alot a different moods. HP is alot a repetitive stuff. But hey, I have and love them both (even if I prefer LOTR).
elf queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 07:41 PM   #20
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

I agree with elf queen.