Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
G'broagfran
Sapling

Fellowship of the ring (Chapter 1)

The chapters set in the Shire are some of my favorites ones as they do two main things in my opinion. First they underscore the core of exactly what it is that the characters are fighting to protect. Peace and happiness as well as all the stupid self centered arguments that mean very little at the time but when far from home and in a dangerous situation are actually some of the fondest memories (or at least the funniest). Secondly it shows quite a bit of life as Professor Tolkien himself saw and lived it. From pipe smoking to enjoying ale the Shire IS pre-industrial England that he loved so. To a lesser degree it also connects the trilogy with the Hobbit which is also a good read but more of a children’s book and not really necessary to read before starting Fellowship. This chapter in particular reaffirms the friendship between Gandalf and Bilbo and even shows that it has changed. In the Hobbit Bilbo would never think to argue with Gandalf about anything and while in this chapter some of that is clearly due to the influence of the ring but Bilbo has clearly matured. Gandalf is wise enough to tell Bilbo as a friend some things that he might not want to hear. Sixty years of Shire history is detailed in this chapter as well from Bilbo’s return to his Eleventy first birthday celebration plans. This chapter draws us into the life of Bilbo as a hobbit and leads us directly into being interested in what Frodo is like and what is in store for him.
G'broagfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:04 AM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Welcome to the Entmoot, G'broagfran! Hope you have a good time here. If you like, you can mosey over to the Welcome thread in General Messages, introduce yourself, and receive some proper welcomes!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I'm with you G'broagfran. Actually the entire first "book" from the "Long Expected party" To "Flight to the Ford" is my favorite. I always get in the mood to read it in the spring and fall too.

I'm going through withdrawal - I really should sit down and read it again - I just feel like I don't have enough time anymore.

No other book starts out as perfectly as Lord of the Rings...
Quote:
When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Ahhh - the innocence of the time.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-04-2003 at 01:38 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:52 AM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem

Yes, the beginning is indeed spectacular. But in my opinion, the ending is even better.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-04-2003, 02:07 AM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Yes, the beginning is indeed spectacular. But in my opinion, the ending is even better.
The return to the Shire and the ending (although sad it has to end) is my second favorite part of the book.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:18 AM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem

I actually meant the very ending; the last few lines.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-04-2003, 06:50 AM   #7
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Absolutely is the first book my favourite. It's got black riders, the balrog and is not all about big battles (whatever PJ thinks!)!!!! Good stuff!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:40 AM   #8
Elf Girl
Lurker

My favorite is Fellowship o' the Ring, Book 2, because it has both Rivendell and Lor*en in it.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:51 AM   #9
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Let's not go there again, eh GW?
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:50 AM   #10
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Quote:
The first book is my favourite
of course I was reffering to FotR, not book one. Book one doesn't have a Balrog. I would never be that much of an idiot. Never. No never. What never? Well, hardly ever!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:58 PM   #11
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Oh, yes, I love the first chapter as well. (Why people have so much trouble getting past this is beyond me). I suppose because hobbits are my favorite beings, so any information on their daily lives greatly interests me. I like hobbit-talk, even though some people critisise the LOTR that it has too much of this.
I think chapter 1 shows us how sad the destruction of the Shire is at the end, and that they (elves, men, hobbits and dwarves) are fighting for the good of ordinary people, so they can live in peace.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:05 PM   #12
Orion
Enting

The first book is my favorite, I like especially the very first part of it; before the hobbits arrive to Bree. So much of interesting things happen between Shire and Bree; the old forest, the Barrow Downs.. I have always found the Old Forest really fascinating place, and the chapter "in the house of Tom Bombadil" is one of my favorites, mainly because it is so beautifully written.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Orion, we certainly think alike! I agree with all that you said! I could go back and forth, from the Shire to Bree, and be happy as a clam.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

I am a Book One lover, too!
Chapter one is indeed a great bridge between The Hobbit and the new adventure. It shows us what has happened to our beloved Bilbo in the meantime, while introducing us to the main hobbit of this tale, as well as providing some foreshadowing. It also draws the reader in with humor and intrigue. I particularly like the title of the chapter, which of course hearkens to the first ch. of The Hobbit. It reminds me of that Bombadil article someone posted, which stated Tolkien's wish to make the reader comfortable, and by beginning w/ Hobbit references, he does that by assuring us we are on familiar ground, as it were.
It also ends in an intriguing (drawing us further in; we are eager to read the next ch.) and mildly unsettling way (Gandalf is "bent" and careworn as he walks off -- the seemingly infallable wizard of The Hobbit is showing a different side, one that is not very confident). Although Tolkien wants to make the reader comfortable, he also wants to stay a little off balance to keep it interesting, and to prepare the reader for the darker nature of this tale.

(Lizra, I love your new sig! We have bunnies in our back yard, too!)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #15
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
(Lizra, I love your new sig! We have bunnies in our back yard, too!)
We get everywhere

Yep, there is something wonderfully familiar about the opening chapter of LotR. I think everyone knows someone who shares some of the traits of certain Shire Hobbits.......and of course the Shire itself is familiar to anyone who has visited, or read literature set in, rural England

In fact.........I think I'll just hop-off and read chapter one again...........(it's been a while).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #16
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Interestingly enough my favorite chapters are the very last few of Book 6 . . .

**SPOILERS**
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
. . .when the Hobbits are put to the real test as a people.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:26 AM   #17
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I am heavily indecisive about which parts are my favourites. However, I do love Chapter 1 because, IMO, it is a warm and comfortable chapter (despite having some glimpses of the dire future) What can I say? I love hobbits, I love the Shire, and Chapter 1 has a lot of both. It also contains a lot of humour (People think I am insane because I laugh so much when I read it) such as the labels Bilbo puts on his gifts.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:03 PM   #18
Orion
Enting

The labels that Bilbo puts to his gifts are really amusing, they are just so witty. Like the one in Angelica´s mirror.. They always get me laugh too.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:07 PM   #19
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Orion
The labels that Bilbo puts to his gifts are really amusing, they are just so witty. Like the one in Angelica´s mirror.. They always get me laugh too.
I always liked when the Sacksville-Bagginses get offended at their gift of spoons.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #20
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I liked the begining, but liked the ending more.

I think that the first part (untill Bree) is going slower.
I liked it but some people that I wanted to read LOTR stoped there without reading the better parts (in my opinion) after that.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote