Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2000, 08:53 PM   #1
dlk

Elrond and Elros' children

My question is how come Elronds children are half-elven when they are 3/4 elf 1/4 human when Elros' children are not being 3/4human and 1/4 elf, similarly with Aragorns children.

dlk
thecalacirya.cjb.net
Old 07-04-2000, 12:14 AM   #2
mhomer4

Re: Elrond and Elros' children

Because you can't expect an author writing a novel with thousands of pages to pick up on every single minor detail.
Old 07-04-2000, 02:47 AM   #3
Tar Elenion

To be more precise the only one of those individuals termed 'Half-Elven' or 'Peredhil' who was genetically 'Half-Elven' was Earendil. Elrond was 56.25% Elven, 37.5% Man and 6.25% Maia. His children were just over 78% Elven, and just under 19% Man. They are called (or perhaps 'entitled') the 'Half-Elven' to reflect their uniquely distiguised ancestry. It is not intended to be an exact description of their genetic makeup (of which JRRT was certainly aware). The children of Aragorn and of Elros are never called the 'Half-Elven' to my knowledge.

Tar-Elenion
Old 07-06-2000, 12:30 AM   #4
bmilder

Well, when Elrond and Elros chose to be Elf and Man, respectively, do you think their genetic makeup actually changed at that moment? And how do they choose, they send a letter to the Valar? "Dear Manwe, I would like to be an Elf, thank you."
Old 07-06-2000, 04:52 AM   #5
arynetrek

maybe i shoudl try that in my unendign quest to be an Elf.

aryne *
Old 07-08-2000, 03:23 AM   #6
AngelLord

When did we all become masters of stats?
Old 07-08-2000, 05:22 AM   #7
etherealunicorn

a good substitute for a real life, maybe? :lol:
jk
Old 07-17-2000, 08:02 PM   #8
easygreen

elven blood

When Legolas meets Imrahil in Minas Tirith, he (Legolas) immediately recognizes that the man has elven blood in him.

Where did it come from?

Prior to Aragorn and Arwen, there are supposed to be only 2 unions of the Eldar and Men. But the novel doesn't point it that direction - rather it suggests that there are other un-noted unions of two kindreds.

It's interesting too that if Imharil does have Elros as an ancestor away back, that the elf strain is still detectable in him.

But I don't think that that's what the incident implies. It implies rather that some nameless elves lingered in the west before departing over the sea and mated with the local humans.
Old 07-17-2000, 10:53 PM   #9
Eruve

Re: elven blood

There are other unions of Elves and Men. Imrahil's ancestor had an Elven wife named Mithrellas. She's mentioned in Unfinished Tales ("History od Galadriel and Celeborn").
Old 07-19-2000, 02:36 PM   #10
easygreen

to eruve

Yes, it's coming back to me. What I'm wondering is how to reconcile that with, among other things:

a) Appendix A I.i (The Numenorean Kings): "There were three unions of the Eldar and the Edain: Luthien and Beren; Idril and Tuor; and Arwen and Aragorn."

and

b) "It is not fitting that the Elder Children of Illuvatar should wed with the Younger; nor is it wise, for they are brief, and soon pass, to leave us in widowhood while the world lasts. Neither will fate suffer it, unless it be once or twice only, for some high cause of doom that we do not perceive." (Gwindor to Finduilas in the Sil.)

Any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2000, 03:30 PM   #11
Fat middle

Re: to eruve

i think it´s not only in UT: in LOTR it´s clearly said that there was an extended belief in Gondor about the people of Dol Amroth being engaged with elves of the Amroth kindred.

but as you said that is difficult to reconcile with those quotes
Old 07-19-2000, 03:33 PM   #12
Eruve

I don't think there's necessarily a reconciliation to be had. I consider it a contradiction.
Old 01-15-2001, 07:15 PM   #13
Finn

I thought Nimrodel had made it into Imrahil's lands (before he was born, of course) and I'd always assumed that's where the elf blood came from....
Old 01-15-2001, 08:24 PM   #14
Finduilas

That's pretty much what I thought too.
Old 01-20-2001, 06:54 AM   #15
adanedhel

Perhaps there WERE only three unions of the Eldar and the Edain (members of the three houses of Elf-friends). Aragorn was of unmingled Numenorean race, perhaps Imrahil's forebear was not...thus not Edain. (just a theory)
Old 01-20-2001, 10:32 AM   #16
lindil

Imrahil

"maybe i shoudl try that in my unendign quest to be an Elf. "
I would suggest raw foods and lots of Tai-Chi Chuan.

as for Imrahil wan'tt the quote about the 3 unions between 'Eldar'? If so Mithrellas [?] was a silvan elf [and quite possibly not one of the Eldar-those who either went to valinor or weere exsposed to the light of Aman via Melian - properly speaking].
Old 01-20-2001, 07:54 PM   #17
Finduilas

Re: Imrahil

Interesting distinction.
Old 01-22-2001, 02:42 PM   #18
Eruve

That's how I always got around it: Mithrellas was a Silvan Elf, but I can't remember now if Silvan Elves are strictly Eldar. Somehow I think they are. I remember posting something to that effect once on a news group and getting it shot down, in any case. Does anyone know if the "Three Unions" quote somehow survived from a time when the definition of "Eldar" was different and when the definition of "Eldar" became wider, the "Three Unions" bit was just never changed or clarified? Am I making sense?
Old 01-23-2001, 01:28 AM   #19
Inoldonil

Here's some things Tolkien had to say about Half-elves in his Letters:

" ....Luthien is allowed as an absolute exception to divest herself of 'immortality' and become 'mortal'- but when Beren is slain by the Wolf-warden of the Gates of Hell, Luthien obtains a brief respite in which they both return to Middle-earth 'alive' - though not mingling with other people: a kind of Orpheus-legend in reverse, but one of Pity not of Inexorability. Tuor weds Idril the daughter of Turgon King of Gondolin; and 'it is supposed' (not stated) that he as an unique exception received the Elvish limited 'immortality': an exception either way. Earendil is Tuor's son & father of Elros (First King of Numenor) and Elrond, their mother being Elwing daughter of Dior, son of Beren and Luthien: so the problem of the Half-elven becomes united in one line. The view is that the Half-elven have a power of (irrevocable) choice, which may be delayed but not permanently, which kin's fate they will share. Elros chose to be a King an 'longaevus' but mortal, so all his descendants are mortal, and of a specially noble race, but with dwindling longevity: so Aragorn (who, however, has a greater life-span than his contemporaries, double, thought not the original Numenorean treble, that of Men). Elrond chose to be among the Elves. His children - with a renewed Elvish strain, since their mother was Celebrian dtr. of Galadriel - have to make their choices. Arwen is not a 're-incarnation' of Luthien (that in the view of this mythical history would be impossible, since Luthien has died like a mortal and left the world of time) but a descendant very like her in looks, character, and fate. When she weds Aragorn (whose love-story elsewhere recounted is not here central and only occasionally referred to) she 'makes the choice of Luthien', so the grief at her parting from Elrond is specially poignant. Elrond passess Over Sea. The end of his sons, Elladan and Elrohir, is not told: they delay their choice, and remain for a while."
Old 01-23-2001, 01:30 AM   #20
Inoldonil

Eruve, the non-Sindarin wood-elves were not Eldarin. They were the Tarwarwaith, Nandorin Elves who had mingled with Nelyarin Avari.