Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-21-2001, 05:09 PM   #1
eric

women in tolkien's world

are there any women in Tolkien's world?
who are they?
why is the SF world mainly aimed at guys?
Old 02-21-2001, 11:06 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: women in tolkien's world

Hi Eric, welcome to the board!

By "Tolkien's world," do you mean the real life of the author, or the Middle-earth stories? Surely if you've read LotR you would know about Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn, etc...
Old 02-22-2001, 02:05 PM   #3
Gilthalion

Eric is not the first to notice this. While all the ladies bmilder listed are indeed crucial to the stories, excepting Luthien, there's not much action for them.

Tolkien tended to put women on a pedestal. They were more in the fashion of Helen of Troy, rather than Zena, Warrior Princess.

Also SF/Fantasy I think has become more balanced in the last decade, in terms of audience gender.

That's why in THE HOBBITS, the fan fic novel I've written 7 chapters of, I try to very prominently feature some female leads, while trying to retain Tolkien's essential style.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:58 PM   #4
dunedain lady

Tolkien does tend to "put women on a pedestal." While Eowyn is the one woman who takes a very active role in the fight for Minas Tirith, Tolkien still does not make her undergo the more basic sufferings of hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and general griminess that the Fellowship goes through.
I've also seen that in the telnet program I play, The Two Towers, there are only about 30% female characters. I don't know what the gender percentage of actual human typists is, but most peope tend to keep the same gender when creating their character.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:37 PM   #5
Michael Martinez

Hehe. I didn't know about this thread, but check out my latest Suite101 article, "Guess who's coming to the disaster". Talk about perfect timing.

As usual, I started a thread in this forum about the article, and I'll be glad to discuss it with people here on Entmoot.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:30 AM   #6
easterlinge

Say, Gilthalion, why not put some Dwarf-women in your story while you're at it? Put a comic twist about it however you wish. Mistaken gender (do Dwarf women have beards?), unrequited love among Dwarves, a workaholic Dwarf-woman wooed by by a hopeless Dwarf, etc...
Old 03-09-2001, 05:56 PM   #7
Gilthalion

Bwah ha hah!

I do have one pondering of dwarven women, but I think somethings are better left unexamined...
Old 03-12-2001, 09:54 AM   #8
easterlinge

Awwww , Gilthalion!! I skimmed through your site and I thought you're just the guy to write something comical about the Dwarf-ladies.....

Sigh....

Heavier sigh....

;(
Old 03-30-2001, 05:50 PM   #9
ugluk great

NONONONO! There IS one dwarf woman mentioned in one of the Tolkien's books. Only one. Forgot her name and where it is said...
Old 03-31-2001, 06:11 AM   #10
Michael Martinez

Dis, Thorin's sister, is mentioned in Appendix A.

Technically, six other Dwarf women are mentioned but not named: the mates of the six fathers who were created along with Durin. Durin alone had no mate, and he had to find a wife from among the descendants of the others.
Old 04-01-2001, 12:00 AM   #11
Inoldonil

On a side not it's a fact Dwarf-women had beards. It's in The Peoples of Middle-earth, I'll quote it if anyone likes. Unless there's a contradicting source I don't know about.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:07 AM   #12
easterlinge

I knew it!!! Dwarf-women have beards!! Now let us have the quotation and inspire old Gilthalion with it, Inoldonil.

Frodo dozed away in the Hall of Fire. He fancied he heard someone playing "Moonlight Sonata" then "Claire de Lune" on the piano. Was it a dream?

He opened his eyes,and saw a group of Elves gathered in a corner, where the music seemed to come from. Dreamily he sauntered over to see who was playing. The Elves were applauding and saying something he couldn't make out.

Frodo found out who was playing, and it was a pleasant surprise. Half in a dream, he leans over the piano and says,

"Play it again, Sam."

Old 04-02-2001, 08:34 PM   #13
Inoldonil

'This is followed by the information attributed to Gimli concerning the Dwarf-women, which was preserved in Appendix A (RK p. 360). There is no difference in substance in the present text, except for the statements that they are never forced to wed against their will (which "would of course be impossible"), and that they have beards. This latter is also in the 1951 revision of the Quenta Silmarillion (XI.205, [character that looks like 'S']5).'

---Christopher Tolkien, quoting his father p. 285

If you're interested, there is also a note on the absence of record concerning the women of the Dwarves:

'They are seldom named in genealogies. They join their husbands' families. But if a son is seen to be 110 or so years younger than his father, this usually indicates an elder daughter. Thorin's sister Dis is named simply because of the gallant death of her sons Fili and Kili in defence of Thorin II. The sentiment of affection for sister's children was strong among all peoples of the Third Age, but less so among the Dwarves than Men or Elves among whom it was strongest.'
---J.R.R. Tolkien, p. 285
Old 04-03-2001, 07:37 AM   #14
easterlinge

"But if a son is seen to be 110 or so years younger than his father, this
usually indicates an elder daughter. "

I don't understand. Does it mean they alter records so that females have male names, and also much much younger, regardless of her true age? Seems the Dwarves have a very low opinion about women.
Old 04-03-2001, 03:45 PM   #15
Inoldonil

No, that's not it at all. There's no altering of records. If a Dwarf is 110 or so years younger than his father, than he has an older sister _not_ named in that genealogy. Dis is named only because of the gallant death of her sons, Fili and Kili. The older sisters are not named because they do not come into inheritance of Kingship, or Ladyship (as opposed to Lordship), or rule of any kind, being women, which sadly is common in many peoples in our history and Tolkien's, although in Tolkien's mythology it was more common. Tolkien was portraying a primitive and realistic world, so you have unfair laws. But who knows? Maybe it was some strange spiritual belief of the Dwarves, there might be a peculiar explanation about it, as most certainly there is when it comes to the 'why' of Dwarf-women not travelling abroad, and when doing so in secret.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:45 AM   #16
Elanor

I think dwarven women must have more feminine beards, and not so coarse as the Dwarves'. More like long silky sideburns that come together under the chin. Very pale, as they apparently stay underground all the time. Perhaps they even have an aversion to the sunlight. Anyway, that's one speculation.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:58 PM   #17
Eowen TWL

Well,there's Eowyn and Galadriel and Arwen and Goldberry and Rose Gamgee...The list probably continues,but I acn't think of the rest right now.Not all of these however play a crucial part in LotR.Eowyn(grins) I think plays the most omportant female roll by destroying the king of the Nazgul.Galadriel,too,because she shelters the Company after their 'bout with the balrog.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:59 PM   #18
easterlinge

There is also silly Ioreth saying "The hands of the King are the hands of a healer, and so the rightful ruler shall be known", and going on and on about the uselessness of athelas. A silly talkative Dunedain seems a contradiction does it not?
Old 04-12-2001, 04:13 AM   #19
Inoldonil

Eowyn, there are ofcourse just as many women in Middle-earth as there are Men, if not more. Middle-earth is not another planet, the War of the Ring mythologically takes place 6000 years ago in this reality, so naturally you have a realistic world. Just check the A section in Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-earth. Lots more women. The original poster was being sarcastic, expressing the opinion that there aren't enough important women in the Lord of the Rings.

Ioreth wasn't a Dunadan, she did not appear to possess much Numenorean blood.
Old 04-12-2001, 08:57 AM   #20
easterlinge

Silly ioreth

Ioreth isn't a Dunadan? How do we know?

I don't remember where she came from. And then there was that odd doctor who rattles off the various names of athelas, decrying its uselessness, and annoying Aragorn.