Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Who's Gil-Galad's daddy?

Gil-Galad’s parentage was one of the most controversial, contradictory and changeable aspects of Tolkien’s work on the Silmarillion. We can see that in ‘The Return of The Shadow’ (HoME 6) that in early drafting’s Gil-Galad was a descendant of Feanor:

“ And he made an alliance with the elf king of those lands…Gilgalad…a descendant of Feanor..” - HoME 6;‘At Rivendell’

Of who he was descended from ,we don’t know, but Tolkien tells us that of all the sons of Feanor, only Caranthir, Maglor and Curufin (Father of Celebrimbor) were married, though I doubt whether the genealogies of the Finweans had been developed much at this point. (The early drafts of LoTR) At first I thought he may be a Feanorian because Tolkien wanted Gil-galad and Celebrimbor to be related, but in these versions, Celebrimbor is a descendant of Daeron, the Sindarin loremaster. (I’m unsure as to if he was a brother of Luthien here, as he was in BoLT.)

But Tolkien began to shift away from this and by the time of the end of LoTR he had been made into a son of Finrod. (Who here is known as Inglor or his later nickname Felagund)

“ But fearing now that all strong places were doomed to fall at last before the might of Morgoth, he (Finrod) sent away his wife Meril to her own folk in Eglorest, and with her went their son…Gilgalad starlight he was called…” - HoME 11;The Later Quenta Silmarillion.

We can see that this conception (that Gil-Galad was the son of Finrod) was unchanged for some time, as HoME 5 shows us:

“Bu Elrond the Half-Elven remained with Gilgalad son of Inglor Felagund…”

But when the story of Finrod and Amarie was developed (Grey Annals, HoME 11, also present in HoME 10), and her not being able to go with him into exile, a new story had to be developed.

So he was made into the son of Orodreth. Originally Orodreth was a son of Finarfin, but Unfinished Tales tells us that Tolkien wanted to put him down a generation:

“ For some reason unknown to me, my father displaced the second king of Nargothrond and made him a member of the same family in the next generation.” - Unfinished tales; Of Galadriel and Celeborn.

The parentage of Orodreth was also switched, but only twice. Firstly he was a son of Finrod, and his name was ‘Artanaro Rhodothir’ (HoME 12), but Tolkien ,realising his mistake, changed his parentage to Angrod. (Aegnor not being married, as he fell in love with Andreth, the Beorian wise-woman, so his parentage was assigned to the only son of Finarfin available.)

I’m going to side-track a bit here, if you don’t mind and discuss the idea that Fingon was the father of Gil-galad, which is stated in the Published Silmarillion:

“Fingon in sorrow took the lordship of house of Fingolfin; but his young son Ereinion ( who was after named Gil-Galad) he sent to the havens. “ -The Silmarillion; ‘Of the ruin of Beleriand’

And it seems this idea of Chris Tolkien was developed from this ephemeral (short-lived) idea in The Grey Annals:

“ But his young son Findor Gilgalad he sent to the havens” -HoME 11; The Grey Annals

But this, was though, a forgivable mistake by Chris Tolkien, since a lot of the published ‘Silmarillion’ is derived from the ‘Grey Annals’ it was a mistake that he would rue. (And not his only one in context of writing the Published Silmarillion. For any of you who would like to join in discussions to develop the Silmarillion as Professor Tolkien intended it, visit this link: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...?ubb=forum&f=8)

So, we can see that Tolkien’s last take on Gil-galad’s family tree is as follows:

“Finarfin-> Angrod -> Orodreth-> Gil-Galad and Finduilas.” (HoME 12; The Shibboleth of Feanor)

THAT is Tolkien’s final word on it. Gil-Galad IS NOT the son of Fingon, as the Published Silmarillion states, and so Gil-galad’s father is most defiantly Orodreth, son of Angrod.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 01:30 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

That is one heck of a post Inderjit.

Yes, the final version has it that Gil-galad is the son of Orodreth.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

hey SGH whos his mommy?
Old 03-08-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

She is not named but is descrobe in HoME as a Noble Sindarian Lady. She would likley be of the northern Sindar of Dorthonio.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Who was cast in LoTR as Gil Galad (for the prologue battle) He did not make it into the final cut either for the screen or extened DVD, but there are some stills of him on the DVD showing the Elven armor and clothes.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:15 AM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Wow, Inderjit Sanghera, what a research. Great sum-up

Mark Ferguson was cast as Gil-Galad. A Kiwi I believe. I think he was seen in the movie prologue, with Galadriel and Cirdan wearing their Rings.

Sorry, off topic.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:28 PM   #7
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Mark Ferguson was cast as Gil-Galad. A Kiwi I believe. I think he was seen in the movie prologue, with Galadriel and Cirdan wearing their Rings.
Yes, and you can also see him in the prologue battle, though I had to watch it a few times over to actually see him (he has a long spear and you can see him shoving it into an orc, but that's about it).

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote