Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-19-2001, 07:10 AM   #1
Michael Martinez

Suite101: History of the Last Alliance of Elves...

A History of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, Part 1

In 1996 the editor of the journal Arda asked me to contribute some of my research to a twelfth volume which has, to my knowledge, never been published. I chose the war of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men as my topic because no one had really ever done a full treatment of the subject. My present circumstances have made it nearly impossible for me to continue writing essays for Suite101 or to complete other projects.

So, over the next few weeks, I will provide that article here. It remains, to my knowledge, the fullest treatment of the Last Alliance ever published. Parts one and two provide the narrative for the article. Part three, the longest part, contains the end notes and source references. The material which follows has not been edited since mid-1996. I am indebted to Rick House for reviewing the article at that time and offering suggestions and corrections.

The legend of Gil-galad and Elendil's war against Sauron at the end of the Second Age of Middle-earth has been the subject of much research and speculation among Tolkien's fans. As with all aspects of his mythology, the few mentions of this great struggle imply a depth which draws the imagination toward a fuller account which surely must have existed in the author's mind, if not in any of his extant writings. Most of us are familiar with the outline of the war, and many can sketch out the events in a general progression from the first assault on Minas Ithil to the final combat on Orodruin.

Yet so many questions remain that one must wonder if Tolkien himself did not ask them of himself. Who were the great princes and captains the memory of whose banners made Elrond pause and sigh at his council an Age later? Where did these armies come from, and what were their reasons for joining the Alliance? If we do not know their numbers, do we know anything at all of their battle order and progressions?

Perhaps.

Some of what follows is necessarily speculative. It cannot be otherwise for there are gaps in the record. Yet Tolkien sprinkled here and there pieces of information concerning this great war in which "all living things were divided...save the Elves only" (The Silmarillion, p. 294).

Read the full article here:
www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/69542
Old 05-23-2001, 09:20 PM   #2
Mandos

Re: Suite101: History of the Last Alliance of Elves...

Very well written, MM.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:34 AM   #3
easterlinge

You're going to stop writing the Suite 101? Why?

Unless of course you plan to publish the lot in a book, which means there are copyright things.
Old 05-24-2001, 12:10 PM   #4
Mandos

He's going to stop?!?! Ahh! NOOOOO!
Old 05-28-2001, 02:24 AM   #5
Inoldonil

He said 'present circumstances' and 'nearly'. Apparently he's not retiring.