Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
Cee Cee
Sapling

Need some help understanding

I managed to get through the Sil the first time. Now I'm going back over it with a fine toothed comb, and I am getting so much more out of it!

I do have a question about a particular passage in the Ainulindale. I keep reading it over and over, but just can't seem to get it!

"And this habitation might seem a little thing to those who consider only the majesty of the Ainur, and not their terrible sharpness; as who should take the whole field of Arda for the foundation of a pillar and so raise it until the cone of its summit were more bitter than a needle: or who consider only the immeasurable vastness of the World, which still the Ainur are shaping, and not the minute precision to which they shape all their thought and desire toward that place"

Thanks,
Cee Cee
Cee Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It's speaking about how Earth is just a small bit of creation-but of course this small bit is of great signifigance and should not be undervalued.