Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Who would you take with you if...

you were heading to Barad-dur to challenge Sauron (wielding the ring) to combat, and you could take two of any characters from any time from Middle-Earth?

I'm sure we all have the same short list of the mighty. My two companions would be:

Gandalf the White- the fact that he is a Maia would be great for intimidation, plus if he was able to defeat a Balrog as the Grey, then picture how mighty he would be in his full wrath as the White.

Feanor- held his own against many Balrogs at the same time, including Gothmog.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Gandalf the White and... I don't know about the second person i will have to get back to you on that!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I would take Tulkas and Orome. Because they can kill Sauron very easily. (maybe 'kill' is not the right word.)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Fingolfin_1st
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Well if we can bring valar then ill bring Tulkas and eonwe who is not a valar but still the greatest warrior in arms.

If not id bring Fingolfin-he sliced up Morgoth Saurons boss so i think hed make a meal of sauron.

even though another person is not needed i would bring Hurin but give him Narsil to fight with because not only is Hurin the most strongest man but sauron fears the sword narsil.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:52 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I'd take:

Fingolfin
Glorfindel
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Of the Valar, Tulkas and Oromë.

Of the named Maiar, Eönwë and Arien.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Well, I guess I should clarify myself. No Valar. That would take the fun out of it!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

Could I bring two balrogs, but have them be under my domination?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 06:44 PM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Fëanor-We could have a nice chat on the way
Eonwë-He'd be walking in front, in case Sauron was planning an ambush
Old 02-15-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

A carpenter and an undertaker

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:17 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Does the Tardis count? No? Oh well, what a boring question then!
Old 02-15-2003, 09:18 PM   #12
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
you were heading to Barad-dur to challenge Sauron (wielding the ring) to combat, and you could take two of any characters from any time from Middle-Earth?
None, because I wouldn't be going -- there are some perils one can only flee from, not try to confront: an F5 tornado, for instance, or Sauron (especially with his Ring on my finger -- no way!).
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:05 PM   #13
Lena
Enting

i would take Glorfindal because he killed a balrog and came back from the halls of mandos which is a feat well defeated and Fingolfin he killed Morgoth i think... and plus if he can defeat him than sauron doesnt stand a chance against these two!

"viggo doubled over in silent pain as the eyeliner tried to destruct his eyeball" hehe buttons red shiny buttons

............................." oh a shiny"
Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #14
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I'd take Gandalf and Treebeard.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:39 PM   #15
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena
i would take Glorfindal because he killed a balrog and came back from the halls of mandos which is a feat well defeated and Fingolfin he killed Morgoth i think... and plus if he can defeat him than sauron doesnt stand a chance against these two!
Fingolfin didn't kill Morgoth, however he challenged him and cut off his foot (or at least scarred it badly). Fingolfin was killed by Morgoth, but the text did say that Morgoth feared Fingolfin...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #16
Lena
Enting

Strider oops

oops well i guess i need to read up again on that!

"viggo doubled over in silent pain as the eyeliner tried to destruct his eyeball" hehe buttons red shiny buttons

............................." oh a shiny"
Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Fingolfin didn't kill Morgoth, however he challenged him and cut off his foot (or at least scarred it badly).
He wounded Morgoth with seven wounds that never healed.

Even though it has been clarified to mean none Vala I will restrict my choice to none Ainu.

Fingolfin and Feanor.

Luthein is half Maia and so I am leaving her out.

Quote:
None, because I wouldn't be going -- there are some perils one can only flee from, not try to confront: an F5 tornado, for instance, or Sauron (especially with his Ring on my finger -- no way!).

IF it was within my power to stand against Sauron to rid the world of such evil I would especially if I had F and F by my side.

If Sauron had the ring there would be no place to hide.

As myself now there not much I could probably do.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 02-16-2003 at 08:35 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:17 PM   #18
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

No Maiar either? But that means no Gandalf the White...

Well, then I'd go for the Last Alliance- Elendil and Gil-Galad. At least I'd die in good company!
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:33 AM   #19
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I doubt it's no Ainur period, since the thread starter said Gandalf the White.

Of course, Gandalf himself said that he could not beat him. But that's just by himself.

I would say Gandalf the White and Fingolfin. The Elf who stood against Morgoth himself! And gave him something to remember that the band-aids didn't help!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #20
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I wouldn't even be in that situation to begin with. I'd just do what Frodo did.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote