Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Aldarion and Erendis

OK, here's the thread to talk about the story of Aldarion and Erendis. It's a rather sad story about their relationship and their marraige, but also a story about the beginning of the decline of the Numenoreans that eventually led to their fall.

But about their marriage: Aldarion and Erendis did love each other, and yet their marriage ends in catastrophy. Why did it happen? Were they victims of circumstance? Were they too different? Did they ever have a chance to be happy together? What do you think?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I think that Erendis just wanted to spend some time with Aldarion. I mean he was never there...always sailing. She even says to him that she is not of the line of Elros and will not live as long. So in the end I think the marriage falls apart because of Aldarion's decisions.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

That story is on one level a real tragic story of two very proud and stubborn people without a will to compromise or even communicate with intent of understanding.
At another level we can see the flaws and weaknesses of the Numenoreans from an internal perspective, ultimately leading to their doom. IMHO Sauron was a catalyst, but the end result might have been similar without him.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I think they were too different and proud, Aldarion loved the sea, while Erendis loved the woods.

Quote:
I think that Erendis just wanted to spend some time with Aldarion. I mean he was never there...always sailing. She even says to him that she is not of the line of Elros and will not live as long. So in the end I think the marriage falls apart because of Aldarion's decisions.
But he loved the sea (can you blame him? ), and that feeling was too hard for him to supress. It even sometimes seemed like his love for the sea was greater than his love for her.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:25 PM   #5
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
That story is on one level a real tragic story of two very proud and stubborn people without a will to compromise or even communicate with intent of understanding.
But I think they were communicating to begin with, and they did give in to each other. Aldarion at one time intended to forsake the Sea and live with Erendis away from the coast. Erendis gave Aldarion leave to to away sailing, as she saw how he yearned. But at some point things turned, and after that there seemed to be no way back.
Quote:
At another level we can see the flaws and weaknesses of the Numenoreans from an internal perspective, ultimately leading to their doom. IMHO Sauron was a catalyst, but the end result might have been similar without him.
That's certainly a gloomy view of Men. Nonetheless it may be true. It seems like Men would not be content with living peacefully in bliss.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
It even sometimes seemed like his love for the sea was greater than his love for her.
I'm sure it was. Perhaps he would not have married at all if he hadn't been under pressure to produce an heir. Erendis saw it clearly when she said "I will not share my husband with the Lady Uinen".
Old 02-11-2003, 09:21 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54

At another level we can see the flaws and weaknesses of the Numenoreans from an internal perspective
I think the true weakness of the Numenoreans is that the line of Elros was betrayed of the right to the sceptre when it was accepted that Pharazon rule, even though it was rightfully Queen MÃ*riel's and the true heir to Tar-Palantir who was usurped...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:27 PM   #8
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I think they were too different and proud, Aldarion loved the sea, while Erendis loved the woods.

But he loved the sea (can you blame him? ), and that feeling was too hard for him to supress. It even sometimes seemed like his love for the sea was greater than his love for her.
But then why did he marry her if he showed greater love for something else?
Old 02-12-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Because you can't marry the sea, and (like Artanis said) he needed an heir
Old 02-12-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Good points, Kirinki and Dúnedain. I don't read that story very much, because I get so frustrated! I want to jump into the story and haul them both to a marriage counselor! And what their inability to compromise did to their daughter was inexcusable, IMO. If they didn't have a child, I wouldn't have been so frustrated with them.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:01 AM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yes, it is such a sad story. Especially the ending is so sad. After all these years, she finally decides to see Aldarion again and then she dies, rather ironically in water.

Quote:
There, it seems, she met her fate; but only the words 'Erendis perished in water in the year 985' remain to suggest how it came to pass.
This last line puzzled me for a long time. I wonder how in the end it happened.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:53 PM   #12
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I love the story of Aldarion and Erendis, but it is really sad. It was really hard when Erendis didn't le Aldarion sleep in their bed. But the most mistakes were made by Aldarion.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:01 PM   #13
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I love the story of Aldarion and Erendis, but it is really sad. It was really hard when Erendis didn't le Aldarion sleep in their bed. But the most mistakes were made by Aldarion.
I love that story too...it's one of my favorite stories that Tolkien wrote. Every time I read it I almost cry
Old 03-02-2003, 05:56 PM   #14
Ruinel
Banned

I wrote this in another thread. But really, it belongs here. So, here is my opinion about Aldarion and Erendis.

Aldarion was a little boy in a man's body. He never should have married Erendis, knowing that he would either have to give up sailing off to ME and Gil-galad or give up her love for him. What did he expect? That she would pine for him at home waiting for his return ("Oh, where could he be? I'll just sit here and waste my life away pining for my man." - whatever!). And that she should welcome his abandonment like she deserved it? What a twit!

And Erendis should have known better. They both made mistakes. He loved to sail off on new adventures. She hated the sea. Hello? Anybody home? Either learn to love the sea, Erendis, or move on.

Wow, that's a match made for doom if ever there was one. At the very least, they made a beautiful daughter out of the union.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:08 PM   #15
Earniel

Quote:
Wow, that's a match made for doom if ever there was one. At the very least, they made a beautiful daughter out of the union.
A daughter that was screwed as well IMO. Beautiful, yeah perhaps she was, but normal no. Ancalimë bore the scars of the onesided education by her mother and the absence of her father during her growing-up. And she grew up to a pretty unlikeable person. There was no love between her and her husband and she was feared by her granddaughters. Not exactly a model family that one.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #16
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
A daughter that was screwed as well IMO. Beautiful, yeah perhaps she was, but normal no. Ancalimë bore the scars of the onesided education by her mother and the absence of her father during her growing-up. And she grew up to a pretty unlikeable person. There was no love between her and her husband and she was feared by her granddaughters. Not exactly a model family that one.
Well, I was trying to be nice... add an upbeat note to the tale. But you are right. Totally disfunctional family.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:25 PM   #17
Earniel

Sorry, I don't know why I'm in such a sarcastic mood today.

I wonder whether Tolkien was trying to give a little lesson in morale with the Tale of Aldarion and Erendis. I felt disaprovement of the match between Erendis and Aldarion from the beginning of the tale. The emphasis on the differences between them: the fact that Erendis came of a 'lesser' bloodline, the sea versus wood argument, their stalling of the engagement, etc.... It looked pretty obvious that it would turn out bad in the end.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:40 PM   #18
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Sorry, I don't know why I'm in such a sarcastic mood today.

I wonder whether Tolkien was trying to give a little lesson in morale with the Tale of Aldarion and Erendis. I felt disaprovement of the match between Erendis and Aldarion from the beginning of the tale. The emphasis on the differences between them: the fact that Erendis came of a 'lesser' bloodline, the sea versus wood argument, their stalling of the engagement, etc.... It looked pretty obvious that it would turn out bad in the end.
Yes, I got the same impression about the story. It was doomed from the start. Why Erendis didn't date around with other guys I'll never really understand. They were very different in their minds, and that is what brought their relationship down.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #19
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I always thought that things might turn out good in the end, but there wasn't really a happy end.
I think it should not have been a problem that Erendis had not the same blood like Aldarion. And yes, maybe they shouldn't have married. Didn't they see that coming in the beginning, they knew that they were very different.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:51 PM   #20
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Why Erendis didn't date around with other guys I'll never really understand.
Because that would have killed the story. It's a tragedy.