Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Valar: Gods or Angels?

Before reading the Silmarillion, I read a few essays about the work, and a few of them refer to the Valar as Gods, and some refer to them as angels. Now I know these terms are "dumbed down," but after reading the Sil twice it still puzzles me, so I would like to inquire of the participants of this forum (whom I consider to be very wise):

If you had to categorize the Valar in this manner, how would you describe them?

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 02-05-2003 at 10:48 AM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
Maedhros
The Tall

Angels, Ilúvatar is the one true God.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
barrelrider110

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
But that statement is not in the Sil. I agree, particularly that Tolkien himself was a devout Catholic, and I doubt he would have envisioned a world governed by anything other than a monotheistic diety.

However, consider the following:

From Valaquenta, Of the Valar:
Quote:
The Great among these spirits the Elves name the Valar, the Powers of Arda, and Men have often called them gods.
And in Chapter 8, The Darkening of Valinor, Tolkien as narrator refers to the Valar as gods:
Quote:
But now upon the mountain-top dark Ungoliant lay; and she made a ladder of woven ropes and cast it down, and Melkor climbed upon it and came to that high place, and stood beside her, looking down upon the Guarded Realm. Below them lay the woods of Oromë, and westward shimmered the fields and pastures of Yavanna, gold beneath the tall wheat of the gods.
Furthermore, the Valar have the ability to create, and behave a lot like the gods of Greek mythology.

Still puzzled.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-05-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
celeb-galad
Hobbit

I would definitely call the Valar "Gods" and the Maiar "Angels".
Ilúvatar falls out of this category - he is the creator of all.
celeb-galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
zimrahil
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros

Agree with this 100%. Ilúvatar is only entity able to create life with independent thought (eg Dwarves), which in my mind makes him God. The Valar however cannot, which to my mind isn't very God like.

Men may have called the Valar Gods, and they may appear to be God like to man, but I don't think that means they actually are ?
zimrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:50 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by celeb-galad
I would definitely call the Valar "Gods" and the Maiar "Angels".
Ilúvatar falls out of this category - he is the creator of all.
Hmmmm. I would call the Valar angels and the maiar lesser Valar. Eru is God, and he made the Valar. Plus the Valar and the Maiar were all considered the Ainur.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Here is Tolkien's own words, from Letter #131:
Quote:
The cycles begin with a cosmogonical myth: the Music of the Ainur. God and the Valar (or powers: Englished as gods) are revealed. These latter are as we should say angelic powers, whose function is to exercise delegated authority in their spheres (of rule and government, not creation, making or re-making). They are 'divine', that is, were originally 'outside' and existed 'before' the making of the world. Their power and wisdom is derived from their Knowledge of the cosmogonical drama, which they perceived first as a drama (that is as in a fashion we perceive a story composed by some-one else), and later as a 'reality'. On the side of mere narrative device, this is, of course, meant to provide beings of the same order of beauty, power, and majesty as the 'gods' of higher mythology, which can yet be accepted - well, shall we say baldly, by a mind that believes in the Blessed Trinity.
Eru = God, the Creator
The Valar = Angelic powers, rulers of the world.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:55 PM   #8
barrelrider110

Thank you.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #9
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Eru = God, the Creator
The Valar = Angelic powers, rulers of the world.
I'd agree. Also, it would seem to me that Eru is the God of all and the Valar are the "Gods" of ME.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:24 PM   #10
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Well in a Christian sense I think they fall into the following categories:

Illuvatar = God
Valar = Arch Angels
Maiar = Angels

But, on the other hand, they do resemble Gods in various myths and legends (the Norse pantheon being a prime example), which I think is what Tolkien was trying to get at when he called the Valar Gods...
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #11
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I stand with Captain stern.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:02 AM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Tolkien called them angelic gods, I believe. Seperate from and less than eru, the one God.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:28 AM   #13
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

The valar are angels-but made "godlike" in the mythological sense because such beings are "necessary" for such a myth cycle.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:45 AM   #14
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stern
Illuvatar = God
Valar = Arch Angels
Maiar = Angels
Question from a non-Christian: What's the difference between an Arch Angel and an Angel?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:41 AM   #15
barrelrider110

I'm not a master of bible studies by any stretch, but I can define Archangels as leaders in the hierarchy of angels; they have angels under them and who answer to them. Interestingly, Lucifer (Satan) is generally considered to be a peer to the archangels such as Michael and Gabriel. Is there a ring of allegory here?

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 02-06-2003 at 09:45 AM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:45 AM   #16
Artanis

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:25 PM   #17
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Question from a non-Christian: What's the difference between an Arch Angel and an Angel?
an arch angel is of a higher order than an angel. Lucifer (Satan) is considered the highest/mightiest angel God created. It's interesting that Melkor was modeled after him huh? Also Michael the archangel is the one who cast Lucifer into hell...I guess that would leave Michael as a Manwe type
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

But isn't Michael the captain of the Hosts of Heaven? The impression I got of Manwe was of a pure, pacifistic good, which is altogether too pure to truly understand the nature of Evil; isn't that why He released Morgoth?

Also, I think there's only one archangel, Michael. Of course, there is no where in the Bible where it says this, but a few things I found when researching angels/archangels for a discussion of them on another board led me to that belief.

Also, Tolkien often refers to the Valar as gods (lower case 'g'), and he refers to Iluvatar as God (upper case 'G'), both in the Letters. I think he summed it up best when he said (parphrasing here, don't remember the exact quote) 'The Valar are gods in regards to power, but not in regards to theology.' He also says that they are invoked from time to time by the peoples of Middle-Earth, but in the sense that Catholics may invoke a saint, rather than a prayer to God/a god.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:50 PM   #19
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
But isn't Michael the captain of the Hosts of Heaven? The impression I got of Manwe was of a pure, pacifistic good, which is altogether too pure to truly understand the nature of Evil; isn't that why He released Morgoth?

Also, I think there's only one archangel, Michael. Of course, there is no where in the Bible where it says this, but a few things I found when researching angels/archangels for a discussion of them on another board led me to that belief.

Also, Tolkien often refers to the Valar as gods (lower case 'g'), and he refers to Iluvatar as God (upper case 'G'), both in the Letters. I think he summed it up best when he said (parphrasing here, don't remember the exact quote) 'The Valar are gods in regards to power, but not in regards to theology.' He also says that they are invoked from time to time by the peoples of Middle-Earth, but in the sense that Catholics may invoke a saint, rather than a prayer to God/a god.
I don't think that Michael is exactly like Manwe but they are similar. Lucifer was the highest angel untill he chose not to follow God...According to Catholic tradition, the angels were given one choice, to follow God or to not follow Him.
I think that Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael are all considered archangels. Michael is the captian of the Host of Heaven. I think the Bible only names 3 those angels specifically. I do remember in Lotr where Faramir asks the Valar to have mercy on someone...I forget who....I guess that is sort of parallel to Catholics asking a saint to intercede for them.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:25 PM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I think it was "May the Valar turn him (Mumak) aside!" Of course, they could have both been there. And let's not forget the numerous invocations of Elbereth.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote