Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-03-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

This book just keeps getting better and better....

The last 3 nights of reading the Sil, hasn't gotten better and better. I am totally loving this book now. 2 nights ago I read about the Fall of Fingolfin, then last night it was Beren and Luthien, and tonight I read about the Nirneath and then about Turin. These 4 respected stories have got to be the best 4 stories I have read in a long long time if not ever. I could not put them down, even though I was striken with sleep and that I had to go to bed in order to be able to get up for work, lol, but I just couldn't put them down! I am sitting here in awe after what I just read, I need to go to bed and was about to, but I just had to hop on here to talk about it, lol. Poor Turin, that guy went through some horrible crap, everything he did turned out bad for him, even though there was some good as well. I am so looking forward to the next story now, The Ruin of Doriath!

D
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yep, the best book I have ever read.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Absolutely! I'm glad you are enjoying it so much too!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

just wait till you get to the akallabeth
Old 02-07-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Yeah the book improves totally after the first chapter- it took me a while to get my head round it but now I adore it- its probably one of my favourites of Tolkien's work! Luthien and Beren has to be the best story though- I can't get enough of it! Mx
Old 02-08-2003, 02:18 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
just wait till you get to the akallabeth

Just finished the Sil last night and I am a few pages into the akallbeth now, damn good stuff!

btw, Tuor rules!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-09-2003, 06:57 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ok so I read the Akallabeth last night and it kicked some major bootay! One of the things I really liked was the part when Isildur went to get the fruit from the White Tree. Before I read that I never liked Isildur, I always pictured him as being some jerk who never did anything wise or good. When I read that, it totally redeemed himself to me and it went a bit further as well, considering it seemed he himself was bound to the fate of the tree.

It's cool that the prophecy of Tar-Palatir comes true in more forms than we think. If you think about it, Amandil & Elendil's line were not of those who carried the sceptre although they were held in high esteem and valour thus being from the line of Elros. The prophecy says that the line of Kings shall die with the death of the White Tree. Ultimately this does happen with Pharazon. However, with the fruit that Isildur takes and they plant, the line lives on through the Faithful, and it's cool how Isildur's life hangs in the balance of the growth and survival of the fruit/sapling.

My question is this though, was Pharazon not of the line of Elros? If not, then why was Amandil not King then, since he was of Elros's line?

Also, it seems to me that this was the fate of the Numenoreans and that it was meant for the Faithful to regain the sceptre...

--Linaewen
Old 02-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
My question is this though, was Pharazon not of the line of Elros? If not, then why was Amandil not King then, since he was of Elros's line?
From the Published Silmarillion: AKALLABÊTH
Quote:
And it came to pass that Tar-Palantir grew weary of grief and died. He had no son, but a daughter only, whom he named M*riel in the Elven-tongue; and to her now by right and the laws of the Númenóreans came the sceptre. But Pharazôn took her to wife against her will, doing evil in this and evil also in that the laws of Númenor did not permit the marriage, even in the royal house, of those more nearly akin than cousins m the second degree. And when they were wedded, he seized the sceptre into his own hand, taking the title of Ar-Pharazôn (Tar-Calion in the Elven-tongue); and the name of his queen he changed to Ar-Zimraphel.
He married the Queen.
Quote:
btw, Tuor rules!
Are you sure?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:09 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
From the Published Silmarillion: AKALLABÊTH

He married the Queen.

Duh! I totally forgot about that already, lol!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Are you sure?
Here we go again, lol

--Linaewen
Old 02-11-2003, 12:43 AM   #10
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

You must read the long version of the coming of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin that is in the BoLT 2. The seige alone is awesome.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:47 AM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

What does BoLT stand for? I just bought UT the other day so I am going to start that tonight as I just finished up the rest of Sil (well the war of the ring & the third age really).

--Linaewen
Old 02-11-2003, 08:59 AM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
What does BoLT stand for? I just bought UT the other day so I am going to start that tonight as I just finished up the rest of Sil (well the war of the ring & the third age really).
BoLT stands for Book of Lost Tales, and is volumes 1 and 2 of the Histories of Middle-earth series.

Also in UT there is a good chapter on Tuor's and Voronwe's journey from Nevrast to Gondolin.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-11-2003, 08:58 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
BoLT stands for Book of Lost Tales, and is volumes 1 and 2 of the Histories of Middle-earth series.

Also in UT there is a good chapter on Tuor's and Voronwe's journey from Nevrast to Gondolin.
Ahhhh, thanks for the info!

Cool, Tuor kicks butt and snickers at Maedhros

--Linaewen
Old 02-12-2003, 01:40 AM   #14
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Hey! Don't snicker at Maedhros!
Sure, he went kinda evil at the end,
but he's not such a bad bloke. Oh, pardon my Aussie slang - a bad guy.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster

Last edited by Lanelf : 02-20-2003 at 01:51 AM.
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:22 PM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Arwen Undomiel

Dunedain:
You will also find the tale of Tuor and Voronwe in the Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth. Which I found better than BoLT, because it had less commentary. I like a story for what it is.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:32 AM   #16
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
The Narn I Hin Hurin is waaaaaay better in UT than in the Sil, but that's probably b/c it's more of a stand alone story rather than a condensed chapter...eh?

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:27 AM   #17
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

The Narn is also written by JRRT himself, whereas Túrin's story in the Sil is rewritten by his son. I think that's why everything in UT is better than the Sil
Old 02-28-2003, 08:46 AM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
The Narn is also written by JRRT himself, whereas Túrin's story in the Sil is rewritten by his son. I think that's why everything in UT is better than the Sil
Where does it say this? UT came out after the Sil, and like the Sil, was published posthumously, and edited by CT.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-28-2003, 09:11 AM   #19
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Edited by CRT yes, and CRT's comments are in there, but the story of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin, Aldarion and Erendis, The quest of Erebor, and most of the Narn, are given directly from JRRT's manuscripts. Some of the texts has several versions, much like in HoME. The History of Galadriel and Celeborn is one example.

Last edited by Artanis : 02-28-2003 at 09:14 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:23 AM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Thanks Artanis.

Travel and Tourism Guide