Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Narsil's Master
Elven Warrior

Theoden Who would be most dangerous with the one ring?

Who do you think would be the most powerfull with the one ring? Personally i would say Gandalf. He has amasing power and decent physycal stength and with the ring he would be unstoppable. Although Gandalf wouldbe stongest I want to see legolas with the ring. He's the coolest.

well your on fire now. go team fencing!!!!

fingolfin rox elven sox
Narsil's Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Being cool notwithstanding, I think Sauron would be the strongest with the ring, because it is his personal power that is in the ring, and so under his control that power would be maximized.
BTW, this again is a thread topic that should be in the books forum. Please keep in mind the different forums when you start a thread, and try to determine beforehand where it would be most appropriate. Thanks . Moving to books.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Guardian_of_the_Forest
Enting

Treebeard

would you really *want* to see someone with the ring? ::shudder:: they may not be able to handle it. Better that Mount Doom has it.
Guardian_of_the_Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:17 PM   #4
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I would say who ever carried it. Why? Because they'd have the CHOICE of what they wanted to do with it, thus deciding the fate of Middle Earth. It just so happens Sauron made it so that it would twist peoples minds...*gasps as eyes get wider and wider then whispers* That lousy, no good spawn of Melkor cheated...not only THAT but he needs a RING to be all powerful...so that brings to my attention those who would not need a measly Ring to kick that inflated Maia's butt into the middle of the next age...two people come to mind. Tom Bombadil and Gandalf.
*Sits in chair and looks around the room with a smile stuck to face) Who IS Tom Bombadil? Did we decide? Personally it think he's Eru cause his place would be the last to be taken,and the Ring had no effect on him.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

ME! Instead of a dark lord, you would have a queen, bith beautiful and terrible! All would love me and despair! *guess I don't pass the test!*

Uuummm... I would have to go with Sauron!! Or maybe Gandalf...

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:39 PM   #6
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

I am not sure. Guessing that you mean person/things present in Middle-earth, id have to say one of the maia such as Sauron, Gandalf, or Saruman.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

um... Sauron.

Actually, anyone who would use it in such a way that Sauron would notice, because then he would get it... or get replaced.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:16 PM   #8
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
It just so happens Sauron made it so that it would twist peoples minds...*gasps as eyes get wider and wider then whispers* That lousy, no good spawn of Melkor cheated...not only THAT but he needs a RING to be all powerful...
Well ok I dont think he made it for the purpose of twisting peoples minds I think thats just the side effect of wearing a weapon designed to be controlled by a god like creature of unmeasurable evil. Of course its going to twist and corrupt weaker creatures. The purpose of the ring of course was to amplify Saurons power and make him all the MORE poweful. He was pretty big time even without the ring.

Quote:
Who IS Tom Bombadil? Did we decide? Personally it think he's Eru cause his place would be the last to be taken,and the Ring had no effect on him.
Ok theres a number of really good reasons why Tom Bombadil could not be Eru but Im betting the moderator doesnt want me getting into that here. So hey find one of the old Tom Bombadil threads and lets go at it....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #9
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Gollum...just think...a world full of fish and scary people who hate Baginsesss.

Seriously, though, I'm gonna go with Gandalf. He,along with his "forces", outwitted Sauron and his orcs. I take that to mean that he would definitely be stronger and smarter with the ring as well.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:01 AM   #10
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Theoden

Probably Gandalf. Even though he had the strenth to not take it, he couldn't resist it after he got it most likely.

Quote:
Insted of a dark lord you shall have a queen and i shall be not dark but beautiful and teribble as the dawn!!
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:33 AM   #11
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Who would be most dangerous with the one ring?

I would say Sauron would be the most powerful, because, as azalea said, he made it and put forth his own power into it.

But who would be the most dangerous is another matter. Tolkien made a very interesting point in one of his letters:
Quote:
Gandalf as Ring-Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have remained 'righteous', but self-righteous. He would have continued to rule and order things for 'good', and the benefit of his subjects according to his wisdom (which was and would have remained great).
[The draft ends here. In the margin Tolkien wrote: 'Thus while Sauron multiplied [illegible word] evil, he left "good" clearly distinguishable from it. Gandalf would have made good detestable and seem evil.']
I find this to be very true. Wanting to do good is one thing, but what are you to do if you cannot distinguish good from evil?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Re: Re: Who would be most dangerous with the one ring?

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Gandalf as Ring-Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have remained 'righteous', but self-righteous. He would have continued to rule and order things for 'good', and the benefit of his subjects according to his wisdom (which was and would have remained great).
[The draft ends here. In the margin Tolkien wrote: 'Thus while Sauron multiplied [illegible word] evil, he left "good" clearly distinguishable from it. Gandalf would have made good detestable and seem evil.']
I find this to be very true. Wanting to do good is one thing, but what are you to do if you cannot distinguish good from evil?
Thats very interesting and I wonder what this kind of world would look like. A rule of a supreme power for the good of his subjects who knows whats best for everyone like it or not. Sounds almost classic communist in essence.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:04 AM   #13
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

I'd have to go with Gandalf or Saroun. Also, Samwise and Artanis made very good points

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:18 PM   #14
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Strider

i would have to say morgoth - if he had the chance. sauron is powerful enough, but imagine if morgoth had got his hands on the ring!!!!!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:11 PM   #15
Helix
Elven Warrior

i don't know if having the ring would make morgoth that much more powerful. compared to morgoth, sauron (and thus the ring) are nothing. would'nt his strength max out at some point?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #16
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think (too) that Sauron, Gandalf or Saruman would be the most dangerous characters with the ring.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:45 PM   #17
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Gaurdian, i don't think i told you how hilarious that post was....Well atleast the mt. doom part!!!
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:08 PM   #18
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

sauron cause everyone else who had it would just be killed in some way shape or form eventually........ id like to see treebeard using the ring to clean up the forest.... that would be pretty cool
Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 PM   #19
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I don't think he would be able to wield it very effectively, but I'd just love to see Feanor with the One Ring. (Ignoring the fact that he's dead, of course.) Can somebody say power trip?

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #20
unregistered
Enting

Calvin, I would run with fear if he had it

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote