Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Resisting The Ring

Ok are the hobbits the best candidates for carrying the burdon of the ring because of their simplicity and lack of strength and power? They seem more resistant to its corrupting effects then any others. I mean Gandolf cant even touch it for fear of what he would end up doing with it. And Galadriel well you know how she reacts to it. Which makes it clear that the more powerful you are the more likely you are to be corrupted and the more devistating you would become. Now the elves have been able to hide their rings so obviously theres some resistance there. And the dwarves well they never really talk much about the effect of the rings on the dwarves. Would have been interesting if there were seven (7?) little dwarf nazgul running around. And the men well the men are hopeless. So it seems the hobbits are the natural candidates to resist the ring then. But then again Gollum was a hobbit like creature and looked what happened to him. So I guess my question is is it the hobbits or is it the Baggins specifically?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

This sounds more like a book discussion than a discussion of the movies, so I'm going to move it to the book forum.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:18 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
This sounds more like a book discussion than a discussion of the movies, so I'm going to move it to the book forum.
good call moderator. this kind of jumped off a discussion in the movie forum so I never thought about switching it till after i posted. but anyway....

Old 02-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Indeed Hobbits seem in general to be best in this matter. They are not so easily tempted by The Ring. The Ring corrupts by promising to give what the owner desires, but Hobbits do not desire much from life, only to live a simple life in peace and quiet in the Shire, with good food and drink available. All fortunes which they already have. Gandalf and Galadriel on the other hand, both desired power, for different reasons, and the dwarves have in general a desire for gold and riches.

It is interesting to see what Gandalf says about the Shire:
Quote:
Indeed there is a power in Rivendell to withstand the might of Mordor, for a while; and elsewhere other powers still dwell. There is power too, of another kind, in the Shire.
One may well interpreted this as an acknowledgement of the Hobbits' amazing ability to withstand the power of The Ring. What do you think?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
Narsil's Master
Elven Warrior

I agree, hobbits are the best choice even if they are week

well your on fire now. go team fencing!!!!

fingolfin rox elven sox
Narsil's Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Resisting The Ring

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I mean Gandolf cant even touch it for fear of what he would end up doing with it.
Actually if I remember correctly, Gandalf did touch the ring in the book, just after Bilbo left. He picked it up to seal it in the envelope...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:23 PM   #7
Guardian_of_the_Forest
Enting

Treebeard

I think it may be all hobbits that can resist it. Look at Sam. He never made an attemp to steal it.
Guardian_of_the_Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:14 PM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Gandalf does pick up the ring in the book (from the FOTR):
Quote:
Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain that hung from his belt. He unfastened it and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it. Gandalf held it up.
He picks it up to throw it into the fire. Movie corruption, hey?
I agree with Artanis; that hobbits do not desire power, for the most part. We see that when Sam is tempted by the ring. He's sees himself as Samwise the Brave, but then realises that it wont happen, all he needs is his garden.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 02-02-2003 at 10:19 PM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Gandalf does pick up the ring in the book (from the FOTR):
He picks it up to throw it into the fire. Movie corruption, hey?
Actually that part always bothered me (from the book) because at one point he takes the ring and doesnt give a second thought to exactly what he is touching and the potential danger of handling it and then a few pages later when Frodo actually OFFERS the ring to him to take he goes into his famous "Do not tempt me!" speech as sir Ian does so well in the film and wont even take it from him. Seemed a bit of an inconsistancy there. I kind of thought the part in the film where Gandolf is alone with the ring staring at it on the floor and almost picks it up and BAM suddenly has this vision of The Eye really worked well.

But anyway, yeah I agree with you about the hobbits. Doesnt Gandolf himself say that Sauron had completely overlooked their existance because they simply didnt matter to him? But that they were all full of surprises. As soft as butter but as hard as tree roots or something like this.

Old 02-02-2003, 11:32 PM   #10
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Actually that part always bothered me (from the book) because at one point he takes the ring and doesnt give a second thought to exactly what he is touching and the potential danger of handling it and then a few pages later when Frodo actually OFFERS the ring to him to take he goes into his famous "Do not tempt me!" speech as sir Ian does so well in the film and wont even take it from him. Seemed a bit of an inconsistancy there. I kind of thought the part in the film where Gandolf is alone with the ring staring at it on the floor and almost picks it up and BAM suddenly has this vision of The Eye really worked well.
Gandalf only holds the ring for a few seconds, not enough time to be corrupted by it. In the other passage, Frodo is offering the ring to Gandalf to keep for a time, long enough for Gandalf to be corrupted by the ring. I think Gandalf means don't tempt me
to keep the ring in my possession, for in the end it will do evil through me.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 02-02-2003 at 11:33 PM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:29 AM   #11
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The ring chiefly corrupts by gratifying a lust for power. Hoobit mostly (exception like Lotho) do not lust for power, they want rather another feast. Since the ring connot offer them some comestable goodies, it has a harder time corrupting them.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:46 AM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

They "cherish food and song above hoarded gold" as thorin said.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:51 AM   #13
Ellison
Hobbit

Hobbits are indeed the best candidates, however on multiple occasions Frodo still finds himself drawn to the power of the ring. Not to mention Bilbo's longing for it.
Quote:
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost
Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #14
Artanis

Quote:
But anyway, yeah I agree with you about the hobbits. Doesnt Gandolf himself say that Sauron had completely overlooked their existance because they simply didnt matter to him? But that they were all full of surprises. As soft as butter but as hard as tree roots or something like this.
Saruman didn't bother to learn about Hobbits either, which was very unwise of him. Gandalf was the only one to recognize the valour of the folk in the Shire. Well, and perhaps Tom Bombadil did. He spoke very laudably of Farmer Maggot.

About handling the Ring: Someone except Frodo must have touched the Ring during his recovery in Rivendell. When he awoke, he found that the Ring had been put on a new chain. I wonder who did that.

edit: my spelling

Last edited by Artanis : 02-03-2003 at 09:20 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:22 AM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
About handling the Ring: Someone except Frodo must have touched the Ring during his recovery in Rivendell. When he awake, he found that the Ring had been put on a new chain. I wonder who did that.
Had to have been Elrond or someone under his watching. If he can succesfully hide one ring of power Im sure he could be trusted to carefully place the one ring on a new chain.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:23 AM   #16
Artanis

Elrond, or perhaps Gandalf. But whoever did it, he must have felt the temptation of the Ring.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #17
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Elrond, or perhaps Gandalf. But whoever did it, he must have felt the temptation of the Ring.
That would be true. Also, the Hobbits could hold out longer then most to the corruption of the Ring, but the Bagginses in paticular could. I believe Gandalf talks about this in the first book, about Gandalf and Bilbo thinking Frodo Baggins 'the best in the Shire'.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:08 PM   #18
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

it could be that the baggins's have that adventurous side to them. also, frodo lost his parents and was raised by bilbo, and always heard those wonderful tales of bilbos adventures. frodo almost kinda understood the dangers in middle earth, unlike some other hobbits.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:01 AM   #19
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
They "cherish food and song above hoarded gold" as thorin said.
As is proper.

It just goes to show that short, fat people should not be underestimated.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:40 AM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Re: Resisting The Ring

Quote:
And the dwarves well they never really talk much about the effect of the rings on the dwarves.
I think it says that the Rings of Power had no effect on the Dwarves but to light a consuming gold-lust in their hearts, doesn't it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote