seven for the dwarf counts in the halls of stone,
nine for the mortals, who the road of the flesh shall go,
one for the lord of the darkness in the dim light of the evil
in the giddy mine of the Mordorland.

One ring to unify them,
one ring to promote them,
one ring to deep in the wide country
of the darkness tame them -
in the land of Mordor where the shadows brood...

This is a direct translation from the Swedish version of LotR. Those Entmoot members who have read LotR in another language than English, you are welcome to post your language's versions of different LotR quotes.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-08-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:47 PM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Re: Quotes in different languages

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
This is a direct translation from the Swedish version of LotR.
I'm glad you pointed out that that's a direct translation, because often when one translates things word for word, directly, it doesn't make much sense in another language. I know this first-hand, because I know a lot of French. So yeah, that's interesting to see what the Swedish means when you translate it directly, but I'm pretty sure that if you're Swedish and you read that it seems closer to the English. (like does it *really* mean "in the giddy mine of the Mordorland"?) I hope people understand what I'm trying to say; this post doesn't seem to make much sense, although, I tried.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:21 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

So is it because there is no Swedish word for "find," for instance, which I find hard to believe, or is it done for rhyming purposes?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:53 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"nine for the mortals, who the road of the meat shall go,"

the road of the meat?

rather hilarious IMO.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #5
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
So is it because there is no Swedish word for "find," for instance, which I find hard to believe, or is it done for rhyming purposes?
Of course there is a Swedish word for "find" It's just that throughout the books, the Swedish translator has altered the poems and quotes to make them look better in Swedish. You could say it is done for rhyming purposes, yes.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:30 AM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Quotes in different languages

*not smiling anymore but rotfl*
Jonathan, I see your point. I'm very curious, could you please PM me the Swedish version? I must know where you get the word 'meat' from. In the Norwegian version it says 'kjød', which is something different. And 'giddy mine'? And those poor Elf kings 'up in the blue'.

Direct translations are truly hilarious.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #7
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

PM one to me too then! This I must see...
Old 01-26-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Heck with pm'ing it, post it! lol, the road of meat rules!!! LOL
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:16 PM   #9
Jonathan

There seems to be a great demand for a Swedish version of the "One ring to rule them all"-quote. Here it comes

Tre ringar för alvkungar högt i det blå, (up in the blue)
sju för dvärgarnas furstar i salarna av sten,
nio för de dödliga som köttets väg ska gå, (the road of the meat)
en för Mörkrets herre i ondskans dunkla sken
i Mordorlandets hisnande gruva. (giddy mine)
En ring att sämja dem,
en ringa tt främja dem,
en ring att djupt i mörkrets vida riken tämja dem -
i Mordors land, där skuggorna ruva...

"Up in the blue" should maybe have been "high in the blue".

Artanis, I believe that the Norwegian word "kjød" and the Swedish word "kött" have the same meaning.
Instead of "the road of the meat", I should maybe have written "the road/way of the flesh".

About the "giddy mine", I didn't know which word to use. Maybe it should be "dizzy" or "vertigious". I lack sufficient knowledge of English to choose the right word

Hey, you Norwegian guys! Can't you post the Norwegian version of the same text? I believe that the Norwegian version ressembels the original text more than the Swedish one, I think that there are fewer adjustments in the Norwegian text.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
Artanis

Sure!

"Tre ringer for alvene under det blå;
sju er for dvergene i saler av sten;
ni for menn som all kjødets gang må gå.
Men for Mørkets Herre en eneste én
i det dunkle Mordor hvor skyggene rår.
Én ring skal samle dem, én Ring finne dem,
én Ring betvinge dem og i mørket binde dem
i det dunkle Mordor hvor skyggene rår."

Quote:
Artanis, I believe that the Norwegian word "kjød" and the Swedish word "kött" have the same meaning. Instead of "the road of the meat", I should maybe have written "the road/way of the flesh".
Yes, but the swedish word "kött" does also really mean meat, doesn't it?

Last edited by Artanis : 01-26-2003 at 03:03 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 03:43 PM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I really don't know why, but the whole "road of meat" thing keeps cracking me up, lol!!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:13 PM   #12
Jonathan

Wow, I liked the Norwegian version

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Yes, but the swedish word "kött" does also really mean meat, doesn't it?
"Kött" means both flesh and meat. Doesn't the Norwegian word "kjød" also mean flesh and meat? Is there a different Norwegian word for "flesh"?
Old 01-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #13
Artanis

kjød = flesh
kjøtt = meat
Old 01-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #14
Jonathan

kjød, kjøtt... Big difference, why have two separate words when you could have only one of them?

Last edited by Jonathan : 01-26-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #15
Artanis

This is really unbelievable! We're discussing swedish and norwegian words - in English! LOL!
Old 01-26-2003, 04:20 PM   #16
Jonathan

Jeg kan ikke og liker ikke å snakke norsk, so I speak English instead

Last edited by Jonathan : 01-26-2003 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:26 PM   #17
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Jeg kan ikke og liker ikke å snakke norsk
That statement is a proof against the first part of the same statement.

Jag är formögligen ennu verre till at prata svenska
Old 01-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #18
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Jag är formögligen ennu verre till at prata svenska
Well, it was a very nice try. Any Swede would understand your Swedish.
Hey, I should try reading LotR in Norwegian someday, that might be fun
Old 01-26-2003, 04:40 PM   #19
Artanis

Thanks.

No, I don't think you should read it in Norwegian, you should read it in English, if you haven't already done so. My guess is that you will get a different feeling of the book. The 'flavour' of the language in the original version is not easily translated into Norwegian, and I don't think the Norwegian translation is very good in that respect. But maybe the Swedish translation is better.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:46 PM   #20
Jonathan

I haven't read LotR in English, so I have nothing to compare the Swedish version to. But you're right, I should read the books in their original language.