Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2000, 06:42 PM   #1
Darth Tater

Turin

I thought the part about him was the best part of the Silmarillion. It was so tragic, and it had a very Shakespearian quality to it. It was very much like Macbeth if you know what I mean, he went crazy and killed all his friends.
Old 02-04-2000, 06:51 PM   #2
Eruve

Re: Turin

This is my favourite story, too. The ending is like Romeo and Juliet, too. (Thanks to Quaff Down Gin's Sil. class on the Basher Board for bringing this to my attention; I had missed that one until recently.) I should also add there are elements of Geek tragedy in there, too. I think it was Oedipus who, in going out of his way to avoid his fate, brings his doom on himself.
Old 02-04-2000, 08:31 PM   #3
Darth Tater

Yeah, I just love Geek tragedy. Freaks and Geeks is the best show! I checked out the proffesors class on that, and though I hate his overbearing attitude (ok, I just hate school), it was a pretty good one.
Old 02-04-2000, 08:36 PM   #4
Elanor

ooh, Doom. Fate. Tragedy. Hypnotic dragons. So scary. Perfect for AP English along with Oedipus, King Lear, Heart of Darkness, etc. :P Let's just say this is NOT my favorite part of the story. Nobody better curse me 'cause I don't want this happening to MY kids, whenever I have them. I was very relieved when it all ended.
Old 02-04-2000, 09:23 PM   #5
Eruve

Oh no, I've been spell-flamed! Oh the pain! Geez, I should have checked closer when I edited. Obviously, I meant Greek tragedy...
Old 02-04-2000, 11:38 PM   #6
anduin

LOL.....interesting turn this topic took
Old 02-05-2000, 12:42 AM   #7
Darth Tater

What Elanor, you don't want to stand for years and years seeing through the eyes of the badest guy around, and see your family destroyed and then come back and have everybody dead and be considered a traitor?
Old 02-05-2000, 12:51 PM   #8
Fat middle

Shakespeare, G(r)eek tragedy and... some of Wagner. I think there are some shared elements with the Nibelungen, and perhaps they aren´t mere chances: the similarity between Mîm and Mime, the importance given to Turin´s sword Gurthang also remember to Nothung, even the inces theme (Sigmund/Sieglind - Turin/Niniel). Yes, this is one of the bes parts, and in it appears one of my favourite characters: Beleg Cuthalion.
Old 02-05-2000, 08:57 PM   #9
Darth Tater

This is off topic, I know, but Fat middle, I just have to tell you that you have the best signature in the world!
Old 02-06-2000, 11:52 AM   #10
Fat middle

Oh, thanks for the compliments

Old 12-22-2000, 06:41 PM   #11
easterlinge

Tragedies and myths...

Anyone tried reading Persian legends? Turin's story reminded me of the story of the hero Rustam.... and Morgoth (and Sauron) fits in with ancient Persian tales of Ahriman, and all the evil servants of Ahriman...

Ormazd vs Ahriman ...... MAnwe vs Morgoth....

Good vs evil is a very common theme in legend.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:20 PM   #12
Lief Erikson

Re: Tragedies and myths...

Yes, it is. In movies and in books all over the place nowadays, that's the case.

I think that Turin is indeed probably the most tragic character in the Silmarillion. And probably the one who has the darkest story, too. That's of the heroes, of course. I wasn't counting Morgoth or any of his followers.
Old 02-10-2001, 01:48 PM   #13
Captain Stern

It's probably my favourite story

2nd to the stories about Feanor, the oath and his reply to the herald of Manwe when Manwe begged them to return. Feanor's definetely the most awe inspiring character ever in my oppinion.
Old 02-10-2001, 06:09 PM   #14
X Rogue

Re: It's probably my favourite story

Turin definitely reminded me of Hamlet, or Theseus in the Greek legend. Except that Theseus worked harder at excusing himself. I felt so sorry for Turin, Neinor and Findulias.
Old 02-17-2001, 07:46 PM   #15
ArbiWan

Absolutly! I just finished the Sil. The story of Turin is fantasic.
Old 02-19-2001, 07:03 AM   #16
Inoldonil

Re: ...

You know in one of the later versions of The Last Battle (found in People's of Middle-earth, Vol. XII of the History of Middle-earth series), the show-down comes down to Morgoth and Tulkas on the plains of Valinor. Tulkas isn't alone. On his right stands Manwe, and on his left--Turin Turambar returned from the dead. Amazingly, it's Turin who deals the death-blow "with his black sword", and slays Morgoth for good. Pretty cool, eh?