Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2003, 03:56 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

What would make you go to war/ or kill

What would it take.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

I don't know, and I hope never to have to know.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:40 AM   #3
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

If murderers crept into my house at night, killed my parents, trashed my house and ate my dog, I would probably go crazy and pull out my non-existant /Insert weapon here\ and try to kill them.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Elenka:
If murderers crept into my house at night, killed my parents, trashed my house and ate my dog, I would probably go crazy and pull out my non-existant /Insert weapon here\ and try to kill them.
Sounds like you're already a little bit not all there...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

If somebody threatened my little brothers. I wouldn't want to go to war or fight or anything, but I have the lurking suspicion that I would just lose my head and do anything at all to protect them... but I don't know if I could live with it afterwards either. I really have no idea.... very confusing thoughts.... good question though.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
If somebody threatened my little brothers. I wouldn't want to go to war or fight or anything, but I have the lurking suspicion that I would just lose my head and do anything at all to protect them... but I don't know if I could live with it afterwards either. I really have no idea.... very confusing thoughts.... good question though.
I also.

OT: Where were you, FF? Glad you're posting again.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

i'd kill if somebody tried to kill me, cause then it'd be self defense. i'd got to war if i was drafted but i'm a girl so i don't think i can be
Old 01-20-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
Elf Girl
Lurker

If I was drafted, I would leave the country. Nothing can make me go to war.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Agreed, Elf Girl!! If I were drafted I'd go hippie and dodge!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Harry Potter...

I would be willing to fight to protect my family and loved ones. I would fight for a cause I believed in, if my country were fighting, and I got drafted, but I don't think I'd sign up. If it were for a cause I didn't believe in, I would try to get out because of that. I wouldn't want to fight, but I wouldn't just run away.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:31 AM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Just one question: Why does it say 'Harry Potter' at the top of your post?

Old 01-20-2003, 04:20 PM   #12
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

lets see... *puts hand on chin and ponders a bit* ..... it would prob. hav to be(for war) if the "enemy" killed my family, then i would do it to take REVENGE! but to kill either they would hav done something to me and i wanted REVENGE *gets murderious glint in eye* or i would of had a "crazy moment"

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:27 PM   #13
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Just one question: Why does it say 'Harry Potter' at the top of your post?
Probably cause he would kill for Harry Potter!! Only kidding

To protect Middle Earth, unfortunately there is not much I can do for that!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:35 PM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

To Kill:........it would take a lot. Of course I'd defend myself/those I care for but I'd try to do it without actually killing someone.

To go to War: Hmm the enemy would have to be walking down my street........I pay taxes so some other folks, who wish to do so, can fight in any foreign fields the government wishes to invade/protect..if there were a draft it would depend on the circumstances, if I felt the cause was unjust then I'd be a concientious objector.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 05:51 PM   #15
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

FF: I meant that Harry Potter makes me want to kill.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #16
Huan
Elven Warrior

I am staunchly against war and violence. If someone posed an immediate, direct threat to me and mine, I guess I'd do what I had to, but I ain't picking no fights. I could conceivably take up arms to protect my American civil rights, which given our current administration I fear I may eventually have to do. (probably shouldn't post that, since the CIA will now take me in the night)
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:01 PM   #17
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Re: What would make you go to war/ or kill

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
What would it take.
As to the former, a bunch of fanatical criminals hijacking several fully loaded and fully fueled domestic jet aircraft and plunging them, or attempting to plunge them, into massive office buildings, civilian and military, during peak working hours would do it. As to the latter, no one can honestly answer it, because no one will know the answer until or if the testing time comes.

All you potential draft dodgers, by the way, should be aware that President Clinton closed the haven north of us several years ago -- you will be extradited from Canada now. He called it the "Nowhere to Hide" program. Don't know that there's anywhere you can go now and be comfortable and still able to consort with decent people (as opposed to the criminals and other underworld types you'd need to talk to to stay hidden). Have you considered conscientious objector status?
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:16 PM   #18
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

I dunno. If I had to protect my family in someway.......... but I'm not sure I would actually bring myself to use a gun. Maybe I would use a sword or bow and arrow instead............
Old 01-20-2003, 09:24 PM   #19
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

If my country needed me then I'd have to, wouldn't I? My family before me did the same to ensure I get a decent life, I should be man enough to do the same. Whether it's me getting a decent life or someone in another country who can't stand up for themselves, well, we all need a big brother sometimes (except if you live in London where it is accepted to ignore people in trouble). Can't say I'd look forward to it, though.

If anyone touched my loved ones I'd like to stove their head in with a pipe; I don't call it reasonable, it'd be what I wanted to do. Odds are I wouldn't, though, cos I'm not that kind of guy, but I've never been put in that situation either.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:12 PM   #20
azalea
Long lost mooter

Kill someone: I used to be much more of a pacifist before I had kids. Now, if someone were to bodily attack me or my children or family, I'd have no problem (at least in theory, I'd have to be faced w/ the situation to really know how I'd react) inflicting a mortal wound in order to stop the attack. I would hope to just incapacitate them, but it would just depend on the circumstances.

Go to war: if I was having to defend my actual turf, IOW, if the U.S. was sustaining a lengthy attack, and the country needed me to fight (although we'd be in a dire situation if we needed 31 year old 5'2" 1??lb. mothers of 2 to pick up arms for our defense ), I'd sign up, but I'd try to do as little killing as possible to bring about peace.

There's talk about reinstating the draft as a deterrent to war, and it seems I heard something about men AND women, but I think the women would be drafted into non-combat positions. If I were drafted into a combat position, I'd like to be like a guy I read about. He refused to carry a gun because of his religious beliefs, but went into battle anyway and acted as a medic (this was in WWII).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote