Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2001, 04:31 AM   #1
lindil

Silmarillion and UT and HoME

Which of the HoME stories [or UT] strikes the chord well for you ?

I am amazed by the second age material , especially Galadriel and celeborn, Laws and customs of the Eldar, and the dialouge of Finrod and Andreth. there is truly a wealth of great lore and stories spread out between 5 incomplete versions of the Silmarillion.
Old 01-14-2001, 05:29 AM   #2
Finduilas

Re: Silmarillion and UT and HoME

Finrod and Andreth is one of the better tales in the HoME, but my favourite has to be the Lost Road in HoME V and the Notion Club Papers in HoME IX

They are all useful material though.
Old 01-16-2001, 07:42 AM   #3
lindil

Numenor

I don't have IX , could you favor me w/ a brief synopsis of the Notion Club Papers?

lindil
Old 01-16-2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Finduilas

Re: Numenor

Do you have the Lost Road?
Notion Club Papers part two is quite close to the Lost Road. Part one is sort of a lead-up to the Numenor story.
Old 01-20-2001, 10:17 AM   #5
lindil

notion club

Thanks , I have 5.
Old 01-20-2001, 07:51 PM   #6
Finduilas

Re: notion club

Do you like the Numenor stories?
Old 02-20-2001, 04:26 PM   #7
lindil

Atalante

Yes , the one's I have read in UT and Silm, are beautiful.I just read Aldarion and Erendis recently and was deeply moved to consider my own marriage! I wouldn't doubt if JRRT was using some personal experience w/ 'being at sea' w/ his legandarium and edith getting a short end of the stick.

I wonder if the lack of a more formal religion was not a contributing factor in the Numenorean's fall.

I miss the lack of detailed writings [19 50-70 era] to really give the full depth of the Exiled Dunedain's world.
The closest we are ever shown of Arnor is Bree and the Shire! [ well Rivendell too] .
And the descriptions of Gondor never quite fill out to the degree of the UT-style depth , Cirion and Eorl is an exception I suppose.

I have access to the Notion club papers now so , I will post back after I have read them.