Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
Ainaethir
Sapling

recomend it?

greetings!
i was wanting to know if anyone would give me a breif description of the simerillion....and would you recomend buying it?
thanks!
Ainaethir
Ainaethir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #2
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Your already in the perfect (and almost concise!) forum........have a browse

Oh, and welcome to the madhouse

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:08 AM   #3
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

The Silmarillan
By Andúril

I like the Silmarillian because it is nice I read it a while a-go and it took a long time because it was hard at first and there are lots of charachters and it is quite complex and confusing and it reads like my ensyclopaedia and I finally got through it and smiled and put it down and then I read the Lord of the Ring and I got new insites into who was everybuddy was and there historys and liniage and I think the Silmarilian is wonderful and brilliant and excellent and darn cool and it also has a lot of nice stuff inside like all about how the universe was created and the Vallar and Mayar and the dark lord Sauron and also Melkor and morgoth and Ingwe and all the types of Elfs and strange creatures like ungoliants and I would recommend this book to anyone who liked the Lord of the Ring and also the Hoppit but if you have only read the Hoppit then I advise you to go read the Lord of the Rings first before the Silmarrilan also you might want to practise reading your encuclopaedia before starting so that you won't be de-terred

The End
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:17 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Which reminds me: it's spelt Silmarillion. Not to nitpick or anything.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:03 AM   #5
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Hello and welcome

I'd recommend it if you have a thirst for more knowledge of why the Elves went about so wistful all the time, where they were going when they sailed into the West, who the Wizards were and why the likes of Sauron were able to wreak such devastation by the power of his will alone.

On the down side, it's pretty turgid stuff style-wise; much harder to read than LOTR, but worth the effort, I think. It'll make you view that story in a completely different light.

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:41 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

See the above for descriptions. If you enjoyed the Lord of the Rings then you really should read the Silmarilion. It's not a long book, but has so much in it - war, betrayal, love, deception, all the things of myths and legends, all in one smallish volume. Great stuff.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Re: recomend it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ainaethir
greetings!
i was wanting to know if anyone would give me a breif description of the simerillion....and would you recomend buying it?
Hail and well met!

I couldn't top Christopher Tolkien's foreword to the 1977 paperback edition (excerpts follow):

[size=large]"The Silmarillion, now published four years after the death of its author, is an account of the Elder Days, or the First Age of the World. In The Lord of the Rings were narrated the great events at the end of the Third Age; but the tales of The Silmarillion are legends deriving from a much deeper past, when Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in Middle-earth, and the High Elves made war upon him for the recovery of the Silmarils....throughout my father's long life he never abandoned it, nor ceased even in his last years to work on it. In all that time The Silmarillion...was far indeed from being a fixed text, and did not remain unchanged even in certain fundamental ideas concerning the nature of the world it portrays; while the same legends came to be retold in longer and shorter forms, and in different styles. As the years passed the changes and variants, both in detail and inlarger perspectives, became so complex, so pervasive, and so many-layered that a final and definitive version seemed unattainable....

"On my father's death it fell to me to try to bring the work into publishable form....A complete consistency....is not to be looked for....Moreover, my father came to conceive The Silmarillion as a compilation, a compendious narrative, made long afterwards from sources of great diversity (poems, and annals, and oral tales) that had survived in agelong tradition....To this may be ascribed the varying speed of the narrative and fullness of detail in different parts....The book, though entitled as it must be The Silmarillion, contains not only the Quenta Silmarillion, or Silmarillion proper, but also four other short works. The Ainulindale and Valaquenta...are indeed closely associated with The Silmarillion; but the Akallabeth and Of the Rings of Power, which appear at the end are (it must be emphasised) wholly separate and independent. They are included according to my father's explicit intention; and by their inclusion the entire history is set forth from the Music of the Ainur in which the world began to the passing of the Ringbearers from the Havens of Mithlond at the end of the Third Age...
[/size]

So, yes I'd recommend it, as it was JRRT's life's work, and also because once you get it all, you will understand much of the historical parts that are mentioned in The Lord of the Rings (Westernesse, or Numenor, whose tale in full is told in Akallabeth, Gil-Galad, the people who lived in Eregion, who according to Legolas during the Fellowship's brief journey through there, were still lamented by the hills and stone, etc.) But read The Lord of the Rings first, and don't approach Silmarillion looking for more of the same -- it is quite different in tone. It's sort of the real-life equivalent of Bilbo's book that he was working on in Rivendell, as Frodo shaped it afterwards.

And it is addicting....
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
Aeryn Evenstar
Enting

I just started reading the Silmarillion a few days ago. I love it so far, though I've taken a few notes to keep myself straight!
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:16 PM   #9
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

i would definitely recommend it!its confusing, but worth reading and really good!
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #10
Imladrien
Sapling

The first time I read The Silmarillion was when it first came out. I didn't like it much. Of course, I was all alone without nice people to help me get through the difficult parts. I, also, made the mistake of not reading LotR right after. Alot of stuff would have clicked and I might have reformed my opinion. I avoided it like the plague, until roughly a year ago. I read it with others on another website. It was really great and I'm sorry I wasted all of those years. You don't have to buy it. Try taking out of the library and decide if you really want it. --Imladrien
Imladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:21 PM   #11
Getchan
Hobbit

Nazgul

First I read the Hobbit, then LOTR. Then I picked up the Sil, and it cleared up a few things in LOTR-some names and places. After that I re-read LOTR and that cleared up some things in the Sil! For me, everytime I re-read Tolkien, some new thing comes to light that I somehow didn't catch before. It's one reason I'm such a fan!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:44 AM   #12
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
You might want to read Unfinished Tales as well.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:52 AM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

How many people out there actually read the Silmarillion first before The Lord of the Rings? Im guessing the vast majority of people come to Tolkien by way of The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings then read the Silmarillion later and had a bunch of "oh thats what that was all about" moments. I know I did.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:39 PM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The first time I read LotRs the Silmarillion didn't exist. The Silmarillion is by far the best book I have ever read.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:44 PM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
The first time I read LotRs the Silmarillion didn't exist
When was it actually pubished? Like 76?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The first edition, Houghton Mifflin, came out in 1977. I read the LotRs about 8 years before that.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-24-2003, 08:32 PM   #17
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
The first edition, Houghton Mifflin, came out in 1977.
...and I'm the proud owner of one of them!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:37 PM   #18
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
The first edition, Houghton Mifflin, came out in 1977. I read the LotRs about 8 years before that.
Wow. You are definitely a tolkien fan.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:55 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
...and I'm the proud owner of one of them!
Me too. I also have the illustrated edition by Ted Nasmith, and I have a paperback, just for loaning to friends that I try to persuade to read it.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-24-2003, 11:39 PM   #20
Getchan
Hobbit

Nazgul

Quote:
You might want to read Unfinished Tales as well
I have and I loved it! 'Narn I Hin Hurin' was a wonderful story. I much prefer it to 'Of Turin' from the Sil.
I, also, have The Illustrated Sil. The beauty of the paintings is breathtaking. When I was reading and then turned to one, I almost felt like I was there! A witness to some amazing event.
......Or maybe I'm just a freak.