Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
pippinschick3000
Hobbit

tennis fans (whose ur fav. player)

i love tennis i have been playing it since i can remember.
My faavorite player used to be hingus, but now i am starting to like Capriatti because i think i hit most like her with the power forehand.

Whose urs?
pippinschick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:32 PM   #2
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Used to love to watch Stefan Edberg -- he had great form, and played with finesse and intelligence. Likewise, I think Hingis is more interesting to watch than the Williams sisters. They seem to be more about overpowering opponents with sheer strength rather than strategy. As a viewer, they bore me. Tennis overall has changed, though, due to new technology in rackets. Now it's mostly about how fast and how hard you can slam the ball. As a pretty lousy player myself, I like the new rackets -- they certainly make it easier to hit the ball! However, as a spectator, give me a classic tennis match played with old wooden rackets any day. Remember Bjorn Borg, anyone?
Old 01-16-2003, 12:31 AM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Anna Kournikova.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:06 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

My absolute favourite player would have to be Gustavo Kuertin. He's a soft court player who managed to wreak havoc on the hard courts, to attain a number one seed. Unfortunately, he had a bad year last year, and has slipped to number 30. Hopefully, in the Aussie open, he will do better. (Damn you sky tv for showing the cricket instead. )

My favourite female players would be Monica Seles and Linsey Davenport. I like that they're both pretty old for grand slam players, and yet, are still in good form.

I can't stand the Williams sisters. I hate that they win because they're so much more powerful than the other women. It's made it more a power-driven sport, rather than a skilled one. Hopefully, Klijsters will continue her winning streak, and beat the pants off them.

Oh, and Lleyton Hewit: geez, is he trying for another John McEnroe? There's someone I don't want to see seeded at number one! (What does Kim see in him? )

Honourable mention goes to Pete Sampras, who managed to claw his way back in the US open, to win.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 01-16-2003 at 01:10 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:21 AM   #5
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Daniela Hantuchova: great game and great looks. Not to mention the longest legs in the WTA.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:58 PM   #6
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I don't play tennis, but I like few players.
in men I like Andre Agasi (double 's'?). In women I like Anna Smashnova (Because she's Israelian) and Jeniffer Capriatti. I don't like the Williams sisters, because they always win, and the tennis become not interesting like that.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Not tiny Tim Henman that's for sure (although I suppose his hearts in the right place).

Loved to watch Agasi in his top form.....just a shame the old power-server Sampras came along to ruin his career (can't stand watching power-serve based games.......boring).

I used to love Navratilova's old games.......geez that woman was scary and she still gave a good performance in the doubles games at wimbledon last year

A lot of the old players are still my faves ..Bjorg (brilliant) McEnroe (barmy) and Connors (hilarious!) Tennis just doesn't seem to have those kinda characters anymore

Quote:
Anna Kournikova.
That's a given (But Steffi Graff had the most gorgeous legs )

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 01-17-2003 at 05:09 PM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #8
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I don't think I've had a single favourite player, but over the years (in chronological order) my favourites were:
  • Stefan Edberg (Egg bird)
  • Michael Chang
  • Steffi Graff
  • Goran Ivanisevic (sp?)
  • That "Barasetegui" (sp?) dude from Spain
I haven't followed the scene for a few years now, so I don't really know of the top current players.

If I could narrow it down to three, I'd say Goran, because from what I can remember his matches all seemed to be mammoth five-setters which actually kept me interested throughout; the guy from Spain, because, in my opinion, forehands don't come more stylish than that; and Steffi -- power (in her day) and grace.

Last edited by Andúril : 01-17-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:53 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Is that the Goran who got into Wimbledon on a Wild Card? And then proceeded to win? I forgot about him... That was an amazing win!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:04 PM   #10
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Is that the Goran who got into Wimbledon on a Wild Card? And then proceeded to win? I forgot about him... That was an amazing win!
It was........he'd never even been close to my players "Hall of Fame" before that..........but christ that was a hell of match

*wishes he'd had a small wager on Goran that year*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

John McEnrow (sp) for his sportsmaship, even temper, excellent playing and one hell of a show.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:35 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I can't stand the Williams sisters. I hate that they win because they're so much more powerful than the other women. It's made it more a power-driven sport, rather than a skilled one. Hopefully, Klijsters will continue her winning streak, and beat the pants off them.
Yiha! Go Kim!

I don't like those two either.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

this needs a bump ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thomas Johansson, who won the Aussie Open in 2002, is my favourite player. I think it's partly thanks to watching some of his matches that I became so interested in tennis.

I also like the german player Alexander Waske. He sure has some temper when things aren't going his way! I love to see him swearing in German on the court. Last year at the Stockholm Open he got angry with me for talking loud during his serve. I could understand his irritation

[edit]Hey Butterbeer, I was just about to bump..
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #15
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I know!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

My favourite female players use to be Monica Seles and Martina Hingis, not anymore. OOooh the williamses, and Serena in a catsuit? You could shelter from rain under that mutha...

She needed to be in Narlins when Katrina hit. Everyone would be high and dry, not drop a rain on anyone.

Male player is and always will be Andrew Agassi. Recently it has been Nadal and James Blake; it really is amazing what James has done considering the fact that he broke his neck, lost movement in half his body and lost his father only a short time ago. Look at him now, top american, quite amazing.

PS. Could shelter from rain, I am telling you...

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

OMG - that's so freaking hillarious!! Hahaha.. shelter from the rain. *snicker* Personally, I always thought she looked more like a giant hippo than a tennis player. I still hate the Williams sisters' style - glad they're not big anymore.

Aw, but isn't Federer the cutest ... been watching him play since before he broke the grandslams. What an awesome player that guy is.. the way he places that ball on the court. Wowee.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:58 AM   #18
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I have to admit, Federer is the best, plane and simple.

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 07-29-2006, 04:13 AM   #19
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Federer is an artist and it's wonderful to see him play on any surface. He exchibits great sportsmanship too, both on and off the court. He's a good role model.

The rivaly between Federer and Nadal is an exciting one. They've met in five finals this year (I think I've seen all of them) including two grand slams. Rivalry like theirs is good for the sport.

Can't help to like Nadal. He's a great player and he was kind enough to sign me an autograph in Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
it really is amazing what James has done considering the fact that he broke his neck, lost movement in half his body and lost his father only a short time ago. Look at him now, top american, quite amazing.
He also got shingles after his neck had healed, giving him problems with his vision and hearing. He's quite some fighter, coming back after all of that
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #20
The Telcontarion

A hell of a match-Wimbledon final 05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPihe...bledon%20final