Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2001, 07:44 PM   #1
townimbecile

Lost without a map

Alright, I read the Hobbit a couple years ago and liked it, and thought I'd read The Silmarillion, because it was common enough to get at the local library, and was shorter than The Fellowship of the Rings, which was too long to read in the time I have to do it. I've been using the index Christopher Tolkien includes, and, while it's useful, I can't figure out where the heck I am without a good map. Does anyone know where I can find one online? Every time I read text descriptions, I get absolutely lost. For example, I have no idea where the heck Aman is, and I read on this board that it is separated by an ocean. Was it that way from the beginning? Nobody seems to have maps of the first age is my problem, I suppose.
Also, I've been flipping back and forth, checking the index and trying to figure out certain refences. Does everybody read the book this way, or do they read steadily and presume the references will clarify themselves? Do most people read it after being more substantially familiar with Middle-Earth? I guess what worries me is that people are saying that it can be read in a day and I think I'm more confused than I should be by that standard. Anyway, somebody please help me out, because I'm so worried that I am missing more than I should be.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:07 PM   #2
galadriel1

Silmarillion map.

There`s a map of Beleriand from the Silmarillion at Isildur`s Lair. www.isildur.com/tolkien/maps/silmap.gif I didn`t see a map of the Undying Lands or Numenor there. You can find maps of Middle Earth at www.isildur.com/tolkien/maps.html I`m sure there are many more sites as well where you can find those maps. just do a search.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:21 PM   #3
galadriel1

Try a search.

Go into any of the search engines and type in The Silmarillion - maps. Too many came up to list. You`re sure to find what you`re looking for that way. The Calacirya site had maps but I couldn`t get their map link to come up. Try some of the others.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:42 PM   #4
Fat middle

Re: Try a search.

with or without a map, trying to localize every corner that is mentioned in the Sil. can be a hard job for the first reading of the book and it can tire you before finishing it. same for the characters.

a little advise, if i may: try not to get mad with all those names; concentrate in the beauty of the story and the main characters.
Old 04-28-2001, 10:27 PM   #5
Inoldonil

Please excuse my typos today (that I'll overlook when I edit this), I haven't slept and my fingers do not obey my mind.

Rolozo Tolkien is a great source for all kinds of visuals, photographs, maps, namely art, and other things.

This is the map you need: Color Map of Beleriand. It is a scanned map of a (as you can see) very good reproduction by Christopher Tolkien (you may notice the initials CJRT in the bottom right corner of the title box).

You probably are reading the paper back Houghton Mifflin edition of the Silmarillion. If this is true, you have my sympathy. It really is horrible (the map, the story is the same). I lost half of mine (I have a new hardback edition now, with this map in the front and back).

I have recently read The Quenta Silmarillion and The Akallabeth, so my memory is trust worthy at the moment.

I would like to apologize if I tell you things you already know, but I don't know what you know.

I don't know where you are in the Silmarillion yet, but there is a mountain range called the Ered Engrin, Iron Mountains. Way back before the Ages of Starlight Melkor (Morgoth) has set his lieutenant Sauron to rule in the westernmost part of this range, called Angband (Iron Prison, sometimes interpreted as Hell). In front of this are three volcanic mountains called Thangorodrim, where the Gates of Angband are. It's fairly important in the tale, but it doesn't take place on the map. Thangorodrim and Angband are a ways north of the northernmost point on the map, just north of Anfauglith (Ard-galen). I don't know the actual distance, but it said it can be descried (by Elvish eyesight, which was very exceptional, but not what one might call 'super') from the northern slopes of Dorthonion (where Angrod and Aegnor ruled for a time, sons of Finarfin, son of Finwe).

JRR Tolkien never made a map of Aman, or he has never made one that corresponds to the later mythology (he may have a very old that would be of no use to you, where Tol Eressea is England).

Aman is a great distance west of Middle-earth across the Belegaer, Great Sea. Aman=Valinor. Valinor is not the entire continent in the West, but rather the middle of it, which is where the Ainur (Valar and Maiar) dwelt. South of it is Avathar (where Melkor found Ungoliant), north of it is Araman, not inhabited. North of that is the Helcaraxe, the Grinding Ice, and following it one may veer southwards and come to Middle-earth, across Lammoth perhaps and so coming to the Firth of Drengist, seen here in the Northwest of the map.

Was Valinor separated from Middle-earth by a great ocean in the beginning? That is a large question. The beginning of what? In The Beginning that the Ainur knew, when they were created by Eru, there was no Middle-earth. When Arda (the World, Earth, which was then flat in this mythology) was first made, everything was pretty shapeless. When some measure of order was given to things Valinor (or Aman, but it is important to remember in later ages Aman=Valinor and Tol Eressea) was separated from the rest of the world, but it and the rest of the world (or atleast the latter) was shaped drastically different.

The map I have presented is the extreme Northwest of Middle-earth, and works for the time of the Awakening of the Elves until the end of the Quenta Silmarillion (the last chapter of it is ofcourse Of Earendil and The War of Wrath, in which the First Age ends).

I have now read The Silmarillion several times, and in parts many times so I can get through it okay, but the first time or the first few times does require you reference the Index (not it is in any way customary to read it more than once!). There is a great deal of names, and noone should be blamed for confusing Fingon and Finrod, and wondering which is related to Ingwe High King of the Vanyar and all Eldar (for example) and to what degree. It's perfectly normal (I think) to use the Index a lot. Just be careful, you may find out how someone dies before you want to! (The unfortunate situation is likely, a great deal of people are slain.)

The Index helps a lot. Also make sure you get a peek at the family trees every now and than.

If The Silmarillion was published as JRR Tolkien intended, before The Lord of the Rings (or in his lifetime for that matter) it would have been very different and much easier to get through, and should have been read before The Lord of the Rings. Usually people read The Lord of the Rings first however, but if you're understanding it okay you may be one of the few to read the sequel second, and blessings.

Frankly people who can read The Silmarillion in a day scare me. Read it at your own pace, don't rush, and make sure you understand what its saying. If it's a little confusing and you just want to read, keep reading and let things form themselves better for you. In some parts you just have to keep reading, you can be the judge. You don't sound completely lost. I would have had less hope for you if you had asked 'Who is Aman?' instead of 'Where is Aman?' You'll do all right. Make use of the index, the family trees and this map. If you have questions, this is a great forum with friendly people, we're glad to help.

P.S., you need a political map too, it corresponds to the chapter Of Beleriand and its Realms: Realms Map
Edited: If my second link doesn't work, copy and paste: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Orac...ldorsindar.gif and search.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:13 AM   #6
Fat middle

wow! that was a good piece of help!
Old 04-29-2001, 08:01 PM   #7
anduin

I'll second that. Good work.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:09 PM   #8
galadriel1

I third that!!!!
Old 05-02-2001, 12:02 AM   #9
Inoldonil

Thank you all very much.

On a side note, it is nice to see such different people together, and in agreement. The Spidersniffers, Militaryhistorians and Lucasfanatics have been warring for ages. *smiles faintly*
Old 05-02-2001, 12:14 AM   #10
anduin

You're welcome.

I have never disagreed with nor warred against FM or Gabby.
Old 05-02-2001, 01:52 AM   #11
Inoldonil

Re: You're welcome.

It was a bad joke
Old 05-02-2001, 12:04 PM   #12
anduin

Re: You're welcome.

No, I thought it was kinda funny. I was trying to be funny back. My joke was much more terrible.
Old 05-02-2001, 10:58 PM   #13
townimbecile

Re: Lost without a map

Thank you so much for your advice. I suppose I'll never figure most of this stuff out, and, since the map of Beleriand was buried on page 121, I am so far lost already because I didn't find it until recently and have not been placing everything on the map, or, more appropriately, when things are given description as north, south, east, or west of, off the map. Oh well. Its just I can't help the sinking feeling that I'm missing something.
Old 05-06-2001, 01:05 AM   #14
Inoldonil

Re: Lost without a map

Well, if there's something you've missed, we'll replace it! Just ask.

anduin, then I guess we both make bad jokes! Hey, we know we're funny, that's what counts.