Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2001, 02:55 AM   #1
Sister Golden Hair

The Valar

We all know that the Elves die not until the world dies. Men go beyond. What about the Valar? Do they die when the world dies?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:40 AM   #2
Earendilyon

Re: The Valar

According to the higly disputed Second Prophesy of Mandos, in the end, the Valar will tire. Then the end will come: Morgoth will re-enter Arda, he will be beaten, and Eru will make all things anew.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:35 AM   #3
Grand Admiral Reese

Valar can't die. But eventually they will weary of their guard over the world. That's when Melkor will return. But they won't die. They'll still be needed for the next Music. Melkor will, though. At the hands(and blades)of Tulkas, Eonwe and a reincarnated Turin.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:45 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair

Is this then, Arda Remade that Finrod spoke to Andreth about? Alot of it was speculation on his part, but I wonder how accurate was he?
Old 06-28-2001, 08:45 PM   #5
Inoldonil

Admiral, that's entirely untrue. That's the old mythology, where Turin becomes a Vala. In the later version Turin does return for the Last Battle - the Last Battle of the Wars of Beleriand, in which he slays Ancalagon, obviously contradicting the earlier texts where Earendil does him in.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Thought the Valar would go back to Eru at the end of all days and create a new world.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #7
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Okay here's a question...the elves die not untill the world dies...is this because they naturally have a hroa and the valar are naturally don't? That would make since seeing as how the elvish fea finds that existing without the hroa as revolting...I got that from Morgoth's ring....I don't think that Eru would just let the elves not exist after Morgoth is destroyed...I don't know I am confused any thoughts out there?
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #8
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think so too, Lalaith. When Eru offered the Valar to enter into the world, they also knew that if they chose to do so they would be bound to the circles of the world until the world ended.

According to Myths Transformed, the Valar will eventually become weary of their task of guarding the world. They would indeed envy Men, who by the gift of Eru were free to leave the world after death.

Edit. Old thread revived. Go Lalaith!

Last edited by Artanis : 01-28-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:11 PM   #9
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Old thread revived. Go Lalaith!
My God, Lalaith is the first one to post anything in this thread since 2001!

A question, if the Valar can't die, can they still be killed/murdered/assassinated? The elves are immortal, but they can still be killed, while men die whatever they do.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
Nacko
Sapling

Location: On that same bit o' island they made Jack governor of on their last little trip.
What about Tom Bombadil? I know it tells that he was at the beggining, and when fell the world would end, does that have anything to do with it?

come to took talk! www.tooktalk.com
Jesus Freak
Nacko
Nacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:15 PM   #11
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Nacko
What about Tom Bombadil? I know it tells that he was at the beggining, and when fell the world would end, does that have anything to do with it?
I think that Tom is a Maia and therefore subject to the same fate as any of the Ainur be it Vala or Maia.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #12
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
A question, if the Valar can't die, can they still be killed/murdered/assassinated? The elves are immortal, but they can still be killed, while men die whatever they do.
Their bodies can be destroyed, but that's not equal to death since the Valar in origin are purely spiritual beings. I think though, that some of them may be more attached to their physical shape than others, and to them a destruction of the body would be more harmful than to the others.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:20 PM   #13
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Their bodies can be destroyed, but that's not equal to death since the Valar in origin are purely spiritual beings. I think though, that some of them may be more attached to their physical shape than others, and to them a destruction of the body would be more harmful than to the others.
Wasn't that what kind of happened to Melkor? He used his body so much that eventually he could never have any other shape....
Old 01-28-2003, 05:31 PM   #14
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I think that Tom is a Maia and therefore subject to the same fate as any of the Ainur be it Vala or Maia.
hmm well do we really want to get into a What Is Tom Bombadil discussion here?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:20 PM   #15
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
hmm well do we really want to get into a What Is Tom Bombadil discussion here?
I was merely replying to a statement that Nacko posted earlier
Old 01-28-2003, 06:30 PM   #16
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I was merely replying to a statement that Nacko posted earlier
Its ok Im joking. I just know when Tom Bombadil comes up people get fiesty. And somehow I usually end up in a straight jacket with terms like "lunatic!", "what are you talking about!" and "thats rediculous!" flying in my direction. So quick before the moderator notices! *looking around sheepishly for Sister GH*

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:07 PM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
So quick before the moderator notices! *looking around sheepishly for Sister GH*
I'm watching Rex, I'm watching.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:09 PM   #18
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Its ok Im joking. I just know when Tom Bombadil comes up people get fiesty. And somehow I usually end up in a straight jacket with terms like "lunatic!", "what are you talking about!" and "thats rediculous!" flying in my direction. So quick before the moderator notices! *looking around sheepishly for Sister GH*
lol I know what you mean!
Old 01-30-2003, 02:07 AM   #19
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Okay, here's something that I think is interesing about Aule....2 of his Maiar rebelled...one (Sauron) became a servant of Melkor and the other(Saruman) a servant of Sauron...Aule also fell into folly when he became "impatient" and devised the Dwarves...although he repented...any thoughts on this?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:38 PM   #20
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Edit. Old thread revived. Go Lalaith!
Actually I noticed that the last post was from 2001 when I already had posted the message. hahaha
Quote:
Is that the reason why they did not kill Melkor. Or was that just an ethic point?
Quote:
Okay, here's something that I think is interesing about Aule....2 of his Maiar rebelled...one (Sauron) became a servant of Melkor and the other(Saruman) a servant of Sauron...Aule also fell into folly when he became "impatient" and devised the Dwarves...although he repented...any thoughts on this?
Maybe Aule was more tempted with force than the others but not as much as Melkor and in some way he had his temptation under controll.