Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2001, 02:23 AM   #1
easterlinge

Nirnaeth Arnoediad: How bad was it?

The Elves and the Edain got thrashed in the Nirnaeth. But how bad was it?

Let's see..... Turgon and the phalanxes of Gondolin made it back. Nargothrond was still intact, and Orodreth survived (in good shape, otherwise Nargothrond would have no army to field disastrously at Turin's bidding). Doriath didn't take part (or did it? My memory is sketchy.) and Melian's Girdle still functioned.

Fingon the High King got killed, but there was still his brother for the succession. So I'd say the ones who really got hurt were the Edain and the Feanorians. And Maedhros' reputation too, he won't get anyone to listen to him after such a disaster.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:30 AM   #2
Lord Xanthyz

Nirnaeth Arnoediad

Think of it this way....enough people died that a pile was made high enough that when Morgoth took Hurin up there, they could see pretty dang far=)
Old 07-06-2001, 12:09 PM   #3
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: Nirnaeth Arnoediad

It was the sheer loss of life, if not lands that made the Nirneath so bad. Every army on the side of the Elves got thrashed. Many great captains of Men and Elves were killed or captured(personally, I'd rather be one of those killed than one of those captured), and all the forces that made it back to their cities were in shambles.
Old 07-06-2001, 03:05 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair

Once Sauron had taken Minus Tirith in the Dagor Bragalloch, the Pass of Sirion was effectively closed to all but servants of the enemy. This put the allied forces at a great disadvantage in future wars like the Nirnath. However, in this battle, Morgoth's forces were so overwhelming that the Elves really were outnumbered. They really did not have the complete support of all the Elven realms. Nargothrond sent only a very small force lead by Gwindor. He was eager to go because of the capture of his brother. When the heralds of Morgoth killed him in sight of the Elves, I believee this is another reason for their defeat. There attack was sudden, and out of swift anger, not organized. Turgon restrained most of his people, and the forces of Gondolin remained in tact. I believe though that had the Elves of Nargothrond not charged when they did, and the Elves of Hithlum joining in the onslaught, they may have had a better chance of victory. There were many other factors for thier defeat such as the treachery of men. However, I think the actions of the Elves from Nargothrond may have been resposible for the downfall of Hithlum to a degree.
Old 07-14-2001, 01:42 AM   #5
Tar Elenion

The Eldar and Edain had also already been decimated some 20 years before in the Dagor Bragollach.